mtbr member

NeoMoto Tubeless?

This tire has a reputation for being tricky to set up tubeless. I sure couldn't get it to seal on a Stan's 355 rim! (Though I should say I'm not an experienced tubeless user) Do theyseal up any better on Pacenti rims? My next wheelset will feature TL-28 rims.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Stans flow work fine.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I had mine seal up pretty good. They do seem to leak some from the sidewalls but that is somewhat common with some tires. I just whipe them off before riding.

If you are looking at TL-28 rims check out the Special My650B.com - Home has going on. Rims and tires...

dwt
    mtbr member
    I have 3 Neos mounted tubeless on 3 different rims. While they are clearly not UST, nor designated TLR, Pacenti has always maintained they can be successfully run tubeless with sealant.

My experience is similar to OP, they are not easy to seat. I had to use voodoo techniques learned in the Wheels and Tires forum to get them to hold air (you want to search posts by meltingfeather specifically). Seating non tubeless tires on non tubeless rims is a dicey and sometimes difficult proposition. All mine are mounted without pricey Rimstrips and without ghetto tubes. Layers of Gorilla tape and homebrew sealant only. Purists in the W&T forum would never think of riding them tubeless with my set up anywhere, let alone rocky chunk. I am no hucker, so I never have tested their limits, but I have ridden them hard for 2 seasons with no burps or failures.

That said, my 2.3's, mounted on Stans 355's, were the easiest of the three to seat. Stan's BST is after all designed for non-tubeless tires. My other rims are old Velocity Blunt, and WTB Laserdisc Trail and they are mounted with 2.1's. Of the three, the 2.3 was the only tire which had any weeping around the embossed logos. Superglue applied from the outside cured that.

Until 27.5" UST or TLR tires come on the market, tweener riders will have to use elbow grease and experience to air up tubeless. Some folks have easy success, others do not. Most rims these days have some semblance of a bead shelf and socket mimicking UST (Stans and licensee Sun-Ringle have their own unique BST design) which make conversions easier if not safer.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My Neo / Flow setup was done blindfolded w/ one hand tied behind my back Seriously, I had zero issues. I installed a tube in the tire and left it in their for a few days. Next I pulled the tube and did a dry inflate - sealed right up. Broke the bead and put in sealant and inflated. Bunch of shaking / laying flat and it has been leak / burp free for 6mo now.

mtbr member
    I too use a tube first. But I don't put it on the rim, I just air them up in the tire only and let sit for a couple days.
    It shapes and opens up the sidewalls. Install is zero issues after this method.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I have always used a tube to shape the tire but, always on a rim... I will try to just use a tube in the tire ( makes it easy )... Thanks Jimbowho

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    no problems at all mounting them to crest rims

mtbr member
    No issues mounting on FlowEX's.
    They do weep sealant, but hold air fine.

dwt
    mtbr member
    When people post up issues and difficulties the have doing such and such on their bikes, why do others post up "I had no problems"? This can't help the OP much and makes him feel like a loser.

Why not post up your own method ( as some have) or something encouraging like " hang in there dude, your combo works on my bike and other people's bikes. You'll get it eventually. Meantime, research the Wheels &Tires Forum which is full of hints, suggestions and tricks for tubeless fails."

NedwannaB

How so?

Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    When people post up issues and difficulties the have doing such and such on their bikes, why do others post up "I had no problems"? This can't help the OP much and makes him feel like a loser.
    If it is merely a "hey I'm using this rim/this setup" without any problems, how is that a direct dig to the OP? It's not an unknown issue on here that the 2.3's are the harder of the line to run tubeless. Possible glitche in batch runs? I'm not sure about how often this size are run compared to the 2.1 and Quasi to keep the supply up.

As to the OP of using Neo's on Pacenti TL's for pairing up better, possibly but not gaurenteed. I picked up a fairly new set of Wolverines from someone on here. Found out after they were having problems mounting, more of the "un-mounting" off rim for flat repair while out on trail when using them on their WTB Laser Disc Trail rims. Guess what rims I had planned to use them on. Turns out I have had no issues on mine.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Thanks, DWT, but I'm not taking it that way. Like I said, I'm a newb with tubeless. Don't even have a compressor! I wasn't really interested in trying tubeless but a guy I've been riding with is such a fan that he basically kidnapped my bike and set it up tubeless for me.

I do notice a slightly improved roll/feel, and I don't miss flats due to thorns. I think I'll just make him do these for me, too.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    If it is merely a "hey I'm using this rim/this setup" without any problems, how is that a direct dig to the OP? It's not an unknown issue on here that the 2.3's are the harder of the line to run tubeless. Possible glitche in batch runs? I'm not sure about how often this size are run compared to the 2.1 and Quasi to keep the supply up.

As to the OP of using Neo's on Pacenti TL's for pairing up better, possibly but not gaurenteed. I picked up a fairly new set of Wolverines from someone on here. Found out after they were having problems mounting, more of the "un-mounting" off rim for flat repair while out on trail when using them on their WTB Laser Disc Trail rims. Guess what rims I had planned to use them on. Turns out I have had no issues on mine.
    I get it. Did you read my entire post?

NedwannaB

I did.

I get it. Did you read my entire post?
    You mine? Basically saying some same setups work for some, some same works not so well.....Wait, what?

mtbr member
    Ran that setup last season Stans 355's with Neo moto up front Quasi out back.
    It takes some patients but I found a liberal dose of soapy water combined with compressed air via a schrader adapter(after removing valve core of presta stem) got the job done.
    Ive gone back to kenda Nevagal's since but the neo/quasi setup never burped on the Stans rims and made for a fast pair of XC tires.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by carverboy View Post
    It takes some patients but I found a liberal dose of soapy water combined with compressed air via a schrader adapter(after removing valve core of presta stem) got the job done.
    Ive gone back to kenda Nevagal's since but the neo/quasi setup never burped on the Stans rims and made for a fast pair of XC tires.
    Agreed.... on difficult tire/rim combo lots of soap...

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac47 View Post
    you mine? Basically saying some same setups work for some, some same works not so well.....wait, what?
    NeoMoto Tubeless?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358909417.445279.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Took a while(couple of weeks) for it to hold air on my stans arch ex, no seeping of sealant through the sidewalsd though. Originally seated with about 60psi from an air compressor.

NedwannaB

Similar here

Quote Originally Posted by carverboy View Post
    But with limited soapy water as I recall since it's been awhile since they were mounted. Same with Kendas. Both brand tires, along with the Wolverines, using yellow tape and sealant on Laser Disc and XD Lites. I did have 1 burp with the 2.1 Neo up front on a pre-race warm up lap but I was maintainence neglegent and probably only running around 15#'s at the time.

Just got a new CrossMark delivered today. Looking forward to how it sets up.

NedwannaB

Sorry, didn't quite get it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358909417.445279.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	755098
    Could you repeat that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    They do seem to leak some from the sidewalls but that is somewhat common with some tires.

Grams Light Bikes
    Never had much of an issue getting them to seat? I have run them on Pacenti DL31, Stans Flow EX, and a couple of others. I haven't had any weepage or seepage. Tricks of the trade are using tubes for a short period of time to stretch out the carcass, and using rim lube, like Schwalbe's Easy Fit Tire Mounting Fluid (works better than soap, and no mess), plus rolling the tire bead out towards the rim (sort of like doing a wrist curl) to push it into or closer to the rim bead socket.