TNC
    noMAD man

Neo/Sun CR18...Moab tested

Well, I just got back from 2 weeks in Moab with that Sun CR18/NeoMoto setup that had just been finished the day before I left. If the Neo's bead hadn't been such a nice, tight, "normal" fit on this rim, I would never have gone to Moab to find out how this setup was going to work tubeless on that terrain. I got 12 days of riding in with Porcupine from Kokopelli down done twice. Plenty of hard front wheel landings gave me a lot of confidence each day, as the tire/rim bead integrity held up. The Stan's UST rim strip seemed to be a good match for this tire/rim setup. IMO the secret to its success is the nice, tight fit of this rim compared to some of the others I've seen. There's no flop on the tire interface...just like a very snug 26'er.

My rear Bontrager ACX 2.3 tubeless tire developed a hole on Flat Pass trail that would not seal and required a tube to finish that ride. I brought a WTB Dissent 2.3 as a backup, and it did over half the rides in tubeless mode without a scratch...and it's not a tubeless tire...but it is about 850g...burly.

The NeoMoto performed flawlessly at Moab under those harsh conditions. I'm no Steve Peat, but I ride my Nomad decently hard on all the trails there...especially downhill. What I lack in skill in and finesse, the Nomad allows me to hammer through stuff in really abusive manner. I have always thought the NeoMoto is an outstanding tire, and when you can run it in tubeless mode on a good rim, it is outstanding. I didn't have so much as a burp or loss of air on the front...or the rear once I got the Dissent installed. I love the NeoMoto as a front tire, and it really performed well at Moab in all conditions. It's a tough tire too. It shows excellent wear quality and good sidewall reliability as a front tire on my Nomad. I'm hoping I've finally found a reliable rim for the Neo to run tubeless. If Moab didn't bring out a weakness, I don't know what will.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ovaries on the Outside
    Good review and cool photos.

Eating Hot Pockets
    dude Flat Pass is such a miserable ride!! you're better off walking that Jeep-out sand wash anyhow!

TNC
    noMAD man

Nothing "flat" about it.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose
    dude Flat Pass is such a miserable ride!! you're better off walking that Jeep-out sand wash anyhow!
    I always get a kick out of the name, "Flat Pass". Where's the flat part?

As far as sand, the only tiny part that strikes me as a sand wash is that part right at the end of the long, rocky downhill near the end when it drops into the canyon...even then it's only about a hundred feet that is practically unrideable. Even an old man like me can pedal just about all of the two-track sand road out of the canyon, though it does change slightly from year to year as far as sand looseness. Flat Pass is a fun trail and a total hoot overall. It's also a great shuttle setup...really close logistics. I definitely admit to pushing "up" on some of those sections. I was riding with a buddy who was on my spare '03 Bullit, as his Specialized frame broke 3 days into the trip. He's a good rider but had more trouble in maintaining steering control in all sandy trail conditions in all locations. It would be nice to know if the 650B Neo had anything to do with that, but we were having too much fun riding to stop and have a scientific test comparison...LOL!

www.derbyrims.com
    2 weeks in MTB paradise! Great to hear you had no 650b issues too.