mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Neo Moto Tubeless?

Who's running these tubeless. How's it working out? My LBS is converting my Ibis SL this weekend to 650b tubeless. Sidewalks seemed a little thin. What's the feedback? Also throwing in the Burgtec offset hardware.

www.derbyrims.com
    Neo-motos have a tubeless-ready bead. Mount easily, and snug, usually seat the bead tubeless with a floor pump easily when using very soapy water wiped around the bead. Seal easily with minimal sidewall bleeding for less than an hour with no real pressure loss, and are ready to ride imediately.

Having side knobs wider than the sidewall, they endure very well in very rocky conditions, I've never cut a side wall riding these for over 5 years and many trips to the rocky deserts and mountains and Northstar DH bike park. Rolling resistance is very low after broken in a ride or two, long wearing, excellent grip, not heavy, excellent profile for narrow to wide rims. Overall one of the best all around trail tires in any size.

mtbr member
    I, on the other hand, have had a string of bad luck blowing through sidewalls and have had poor luck getting them to seal up tubeless despite much weeping of Stan's from the sidewalls.

I frikkin love the tire when it's working though... I've got 'em set up with toobs.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

650b me
    I have mine set up tubeless and they're holding air well - finally. It was a struggle. Bead was a loose fit on Pacenti TL-28 rims. Sidewalls wept Stan's a bunch. Had to keep rotating the tire, adding more air, rotate, add air... No way mine will inflate with a floor pump. The rear was not holding air overnight after a half-year of riding, so I broke the bead and added 2 scoops of Stan's. Tried to inflate with my floor pump - no go. Drove to LBS and it inflated quickly using their compressor. So that's my tubeless setup experience.

As for the ride experience, they've been good. I don't feel that they're exceptionally good or bad, really. They seem very neutral to me. When mine wear out, I'll probably replace them with some Schwalbe or Maxxis tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Well. Sounds like it could go either way. I'm throwing them on Stan's Flow rims. Keep you posted on how it plays out.

mtbr member
    been running one out back since last season. Has held up well. One puncture on a sharp rock that sealed up after a blast of co2(Im told this will not work with stans?) running home brew in mine. Going back to a Nevagal once it wears out just for peace of mind.
    Great tire the Neo but Im not racing anyone so rather have the beefier kenda.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

I sweep myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackdan10 View Post
    Well. Sounds like it could go either way. I'm throwing them on Stan's Flow rims. Keep you posted on how it plays out.
    Very interested to hear how it goes; I just bought my mold builder so I can homebrew and tubelessify the same exact setup this weekend.
    "In the past few years there has been building up within me an obsession that the only way to piece of mind is to go somewhere in the desert, far away from things, and just sit down." - Ernie Pyle

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ill get my bike back on tues. I'm in CO. Plan on a ride next week for sure. I went with neo moto since I'm converting my ibis Mojo SL. So needed a narrower rear tire. But I'm considering a 27.5 bike sometime this season. Road an HD 27.5 last summer and it rocked. So far been on a rocky mt altitude and also tried the ibis ripley. Gotta say I think the 29r isn't for me. The altitude was sweet though. So can't wait to check out the Bronson sometime. Figure if I pull the trigger I'll have wheels already for it and can go bigger tires if I want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Plenty running the Neomoto tubeless as it has been around for awhile. This was my first tire setup tubeless on a Flow rim. I installed a tube overnight. Then I did a dry install. Finally I added sealant and after flipping, sloshing & such I had a leak free tubeless setup. 6mo. later I popped the bead and added more sealant and I am good to go.

DILLIGAF
    I have a Mojo SL converted (including reducing rear travel) to 650B running Flow rims and neo moto 2.1. The neo moto's seated easily and are holding pressure, no issue. The clearance is really tight but fit with no rubbing...until after a few rides when the tire developed a high spot and would rub the chain stay. I am not sure what caused the high spot but I could not get it perfectly round again to stop it from rubbing. The rim is true and round but one spot in the tire is just taller, and it didn't start that way. IDK, maybe the sealant sitting in one spot while not riding caused a little more weight at that specific spot or something. I even went as far as filing some of the knobs in the area down but no bueno. Has anyone experienced this "tire growth"?

I ended up switching it out with a quasi moto. Neo front and quasi rear is turning out to be a great combo! The conversion is totally worth it as it has transformed the Mojo SL.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm running my 2.3's on stan's arch rims. They setup easily and have been holding air quite well.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackdan10 View Post
    Who's running these tubeless. How's it working out? My LBS is converting my Ibis SL this weekend to 650b tubeless. Sidewalks seemed a little thin. What's the feedback? Also throwing in the Burgtec offset hardware.
    I've run the 2.1's without issues on Alex XD Lite and WTB Laser Disc Trail rims. I think the problems, tho not alot are with the 2.3 versions, from what I've seen anyway.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    I'm running 2.1's on Stan's crest with Stan's sealant. Initial setup was a breeze (sealed with regular pump) . I did notice that the sealant dried up quickly (in 3 months it was just a ball of crystals).

Overall I love the tires but they seemed to wear quickly but in fairness I did a lot of pavement riding on them when I couldn't get to the trails.
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by msimmons View Post
    I have a Mojo SL converted (including reducing rear travel) to 650B running Flow rims and neo moto 2.1. The neo moto's seated easily and are holding pressure, no issue. The clearance is really tight but fit with no rubbing...until after a few rides when the tire developed a high spot and would rub the chain stay. I am not sure what caused the high spot but I could not get it perfectly round again to stop it from rubbing. The rim is true and round but one spot in the tire is just taller, and it didn't start that way. IDK, maybe the sealant sitting in one spot while not riding caused a little more weight at that specific spot or something. I even went as far as filing some of the knobs in the area down but no bueno. Has anyone experienced this "tire growth"?

I ended up switching it out with a quasi moto. Neo front and quasi rear is turning out to be a great combo! The conversion is totally worth it as it has transformed the Mojo SL.
    I've been through many Neo-moto 2.3's in 5 years tubeless, first on a Mojo C, and now on an HD. A few have had irregular lumps or would not be "perfectly" centered in one area, even after deflating and trying to center better. Never enough irregularity to be unusable. I notice also, as they wear they do not gain much if any more clearance, so I think the casing is stretching taller gradually as they wear.

NedwannaB

Surprising combo for longer travel bike

Quote Originally Posted by msimmons View Post
    I have a Mojo SL converted I ended up switching it out with a quasi moto. Neo front and quasi rear is turning out to be a great combo! The conversion is totally worth it as it has transformed the Mojo SL.
    Granted I'm a fairly light rider but had this setup on my Bastardo for awhile when first built up. Your SL must rip now!! I'd have to believe that the Neo would have fit a little better if on a Crest or similar XC type rim?
    Last edited by JMac47; 04-11-2013 at 09:12 AM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

DILLIGAF
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Granted I'm a fairly light rider but had this setup on my Bastardo for awhile when first built up. Your SL must rip now!! I'd have to believe that the Neo would have fit a little better if on a Crest or similar XC type rim?
    The setup really does rip! For my local XC stuff it is proving to be great. Cohutta 100 is in a couple weeks we'll how it does there.

dwt
    mtbr member

Neo Moto Tubeless?

Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    I have mine set up tubeless and they're holding air well - finally. It was a struggle. Bead was a loose fit on Pacenti TL-28 rims. Sidewalls wept Stan's a bunch. Had to keep rotating the tire, adding more air, rotate, add air... No way mine will inflate with a floor pump.
    Just had Similar experience with 2.3 on WTB Laserdisc rim, even using a compressor.

Solution: remove tire, clean rim, let dry. Add one more layer of gorilla tape, start over. This time success! the beads seated - but did need compressor

"I ride my bike to ride my bike"- Zen proverb

Posted via iPhone
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member

Lazer disk

Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Just had Similar experience with 2.3 on WTB Laserdisc rim, even using a compressor.

Solution: remove tire, clean rim, let dry. Add one more layer of gorilla tape, start over. This time success! the beads seated - but did need compressor

"I ride my bike to ride my bike"- Zen proverb

Posted via iPhone
    Just a heads up, ran kendas and neo's with gorrilla tape and home brew on the WTB Lazerdisk trails for a season and had a fair amount of burping issues with them. All at lower speeds in rock gardens that pinched the tires. Was running 32psi at the time.
    Since switching to stans rims Ive had no burping issues.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

650b me
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post

Posted via iPhone
    I almost forgot...I too had to add a layer of gorilla tape (on top of Stan's yellow) to get the bead to seat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Did a ghetto setup on the American Classic 650 BXC wheels that came stock on my Jamis Dragon. No way would they seat with a floor pump. Wasn't a picnic with the compressor either. Lots of initial seeping through the sidewalls, but was very happy with the end result. Never once had a burping issue - PSI was never below 30 though.