Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?

I currently have a Racing Ralph front/Quasi Moto rear on my 650b Epic. I'll be switching the RR to the rear and I want a front tire with as much grip as possible. I ride in Indiana mostly. Hard pack with rocks and roots. I want the grip but I want the tire that has the least rolling resistance. I've narrowed it down to these three.

Any suggestions? I did ride a Hans Dampf on a Niner and was very impressed with it. It may be the leading contender at this point. Has anyone ridden all three and can give me a comparison?

Thanks in advance.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Sette Razzo

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    In the 29er models I've ridden both the Hans Dampf and the Nobby Nic and I can tell you that there is a substantial difference in rolling resistance between the two. If your trails are sufficient for using a Racing Ralph in the back, then I would easily (of these two tires) recommend the Nobby Nic for the front. I don't have any experience with the Neo Moto - it looks like a nice tire too. The one thing about the Nobby Nic is that it is a tall, high volume tire, which means that you can run lower PSI in it and get some pretty good traction as a result. FWIW I'm building a 650b bike for my wife and I'm putting her on the RR rear / Nobby Nic front combo.

Incidentally, on my 29er I started with a Hans Dampf front and rear, with the front tire being the TrailStar version which has a lower durometer rubber (i.e grippier, but more rolling resistance). After one ride, I moved the PaceStar Hans Dampf to the front and put a Nobby Nic on the rear. For regular riding on very rocky trails, this is a great, confidence-inspiring setup, even if it does roll slower than many other tire combos.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert View Post
    ...on my 29er I started with a Hans Dampf front and rear, with the front tire being the TrailStar version which has a lower durometer rubber (i.e grippier, but more rolling resistance). After one ride, I moved the PaceStar Hans Dampf to the front and put a Nobby Nic on the rear. For regular riding on very rocky trails, this is a great, confidence-inspiring setup, even if it does roll slower than many other tire combos.
    Would you mind providing us with a direct comparison between the two fronts and the two rears you refer to here? IOW, other than that you changed and apparently like the combination you have now, what does it do for you that the other setup did not? And was there anything the other setup did better (but perhaps you didn't need or didn't care for)?

Fred

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the input. As I said, I was impressed with the Hans Dampf. It seemed to roll very well considering it's aggressive tread. It's interesting you say the Nobby Nic rolls much better.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Sette Razzo

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    Would you mind providing us with a direct comparison between the two fronts and the two rears you refer to here? IOW, other than that you changed and apparently like the combination you have now, what does it do for you that the other setup did not? And was there anything the other setup did better (but perhaps you didn't need or didn't care for)?
    Honestly, I only have three rides on the tires in December and I'm skiing for the winter so I won't be riding again until mid- to late-March. But here was my rationale for changing things up: I ride a 29er Epic, so my riding is definitely more XC-oriented. Our trails in Maryland/PA are definitely very technical in a slower speed / rock garden-strewn sort of way (you can look up the trails for Gambrill Park, the Frederick watershed and Michaux State Forest for more info if you care). A typical ride will be around 15-20 miles with 2500-3000 feet of climbing. Depending on where I ride, the climbs can either be nearly all single track or a lot of fire roads. Because we generally don't have long, high speed downhills with a lot of flow, I'm not generally concerned with the cornering abilities of tires. I need good traction from the rear tire when picking through rock gardens particularly on uphill technical moves, and I need a front tire that will give confidence when braking on rocks going downhill. For the record, I'm not in the best shape right now either, so I need a compromise between traction and low rolling resistance.

My favorite rear tire is the Maxxis Ikon - this probably tells you a lot about where I'm coming from. It is surprisingly grippy on the rocks, and it rolls really well. However, even with the EXO version, I went through three Ikons last season due to sidewall tears. On the front tire, I've tried several things. I had reasonable luck with a Continental X-King 2.4 although on the rolling resistance/traction spectrum it definitely is biased towards low rolling resistance. I've also used a Rampage which I liked.

I decided in the fall since the rides were mellowing out to try some more durable tires, and I picked up the Hans Dampf (PaceStar and TrailStar) along with the Nobby Nic. I initially set up my bike with the Hans Dampfs (PaceStar rear and TrailStar front), and did one 15 mile ride that way. The traction was fantastic - very confidence inspiring. However, for my riding, the rolling resistance was unacceptable. Climbs that I did every week were substantially more difficult, and it was a whole lot more work to keep up with a group where I am usually one of the stronger riders. So for me, this tire combination was too far on the traction side of the spectrum.

I then swapped the PaceStar Hans Dampf to the front and put a 2.35 Nobby Nic on the back and did a couple rides with this setup. While I still notice the rolling resistance increase over the Ikon/Rampage setup, the balance between rolling resistance and traction is much more acceptable for me. I didn't really feel that I gave up much in traction, and I am much happier on the climbs again.

I would not be surprised to hear that people are happy using Hans Dampf PaceStar tires front and rear - I suspect that the softer rubber of the TrailStar tires makes a significant difference that many more XC-oriented riders just don't really need. I personally am actually very interested in trying Nobby Nics front and rear. Assuming that the SnakeSkin sidewall holds up, this might really be the proper balance that I personally am looking for.

Also, I have to plug the Schwalbe tires for a minute. These tires were super easy to set up tubeless on a NoTubes Arch rim. The tires scream high-quality and the sidewalls feel beefy. I understand that the Nobby Nic in particular wears quickly when used as a rear tire; however, it has been over 3 years since I actually wore out the tread on a tire (mine always die from sidewall cuts) so I would welcome actually wearing out a tire for a change - we'll see if it happens. The tires were also pretty close to full size in width across the tread, and they are very tall - these are high volume tires that will definitely let you lower your PSI if you are interested. I was running mine around 20-22 PSI with no problems at all.

I have two Ikons that I will use judiciously next season - I have two rear wheels and one will have an Ikon and one the Nobby Nic. I will also keep two front wheels - one with a Nobby Nic and one with the Hans Dampf. It will be interesting to see which tires get used the most next season.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GChambers View Post
    Thanks for the input. As I said, I was impressed with the Hans Dampf. It seemed to roll very well considering it's aggressive tread. It's interesting you say the Nobby Nic rolls much better.
    The Hans Dampf TrailStar tire is significantly slower rolling than the PaceStar - running two of the PaceStar tires would definitely be a better option for me. However (see my long-winded post for more info) I am really interested in trying the Nobby Nic front and rear. For my riding purposes, I actually think the Hans Dampf is probably overkill. However, it also feels like it should be a very durable tire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Incidentally, another tire that people really like on our trails is the Maxxis Ardent. While they are generally using the 2.4" version, I'm glad to see that it is available in the 650b, even if right now it is only the 2.25" one. I'm going to try it on my 29er at some point, and get an opinion for whether it might be a more durable option for my wife's 650b setup. I'm a little paranoid about the Racing Ralph 650b as a rear tire since it doesn't have the SnakeSkin protection. Of course my wife is a feather-weight and isn't a particularly aggressive rider so it might be a non-issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for all the info!
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Sette Razzo

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GChambers View Post
    I currently have a Racing Ralph front/Quasi Moto rear on my 650b Epic. I'll be switching the RR to the rear and I want a front tire with as much grip as possible. I ride in Indiana mostly. Hard pack with rocks and roots. I want the grip but I want the tire that has the least rolling resistance. I've narrowed it down to these three.

Any suggestions? I did ride a Hans Dampf on a Niner and was very impressed with it. It may be the leading contender at this point. Has anyone ridden all three and can give me a comparison?

Thanks in advance.
    Your going a looooong way between a Ra Ra and a HD. There's an awful difference in weight which is going to vastly affect your handling. Rolling resistance will be the least of your worries. In Pacestar, the rolling resistance stats are very simialr for 2.4 No Ni and 2.35 HD anyway. Cornering traction is a huge step up if that's what you need.

Are you running a Ra Ra with the new tread pattern or old. I've run both in 29er and new tread corners much better.A 29er 2.25 new pattern Ra Ra corners more predictably than a 2.4 Ra Ra in the old pattern.

Throw a curve ball in. If you have a good wide rim or a crest and your trails are substantially dry, try a Neo 2.1 on the front.Corners much better than the old patern Ra Ra.Looking at the tread patterns I suspect the new Ra Ra pattern would almost be as good as the neo 2.1 in cornering especially as it has much better compounds.They are both virtually identical in volume width and height..

I've got HD in 26" and have tried No Ni in all wheel sizes and widths and have a NN Ni 2.35 650B. Not that impressed really. The 2.35 is virtually a 2.25 No Ni on steroids. The 2.4 size used to have substantially larger edge tread so cornered better. HD even in 26" is miles better. The No Ni 2.35 isn't night and day better than a Neo 2.1 in dry loose over hard conditions. The edge tread of the No Ni is angled, this effectively makes the meat of the tread much narrower and softens an already soft edge tread. So they squirm if pushed hard and don't bite as well as those tires that have solid square edge tread blocks like the Neo's and the HD. I find the Neo 2.3 edges too hard and rigid though. You can feel them scuffing on hard ground as they don't flex and scramble to bite. A softer compound on both Neos' would be a step up. All the schwalbe tires would be better on wet hard surfaces.

Relative to the old Ra Ra you are a step up in traction if that's all you need. Even the 2.35 feels pretty quick. The 2.25 is much lighter so won't affect your handling so much. Should be similar but I suspect slightly worse than a neo 2.1 in cornering grip in hard loose over hard conditions and much better on wet tree roots.Should be slightly quicker with the better casing technology.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert View Post
    I decided in the fall since the rides were mellowing out to try some more durable tires, and I picked up the Hans Dampf (PaceStar and TrailStar) along with the Nobby Nic. I initially set up my bike with the Hans Dampfs (PaceStar rear and TrailStar front), and did one 15 mile ride that way. The traction was fantastic - very confidence inspiring. However, for my riding, the rolling resistance was unacceptable. Climbs that I did every week were substantially more difficult, and it was a whole lot more work to keep up with a group where I am usually one of the stronger riders. So for me, this tire combination was too far on the traction side of the spectrum.

Hey TC,

Did both of those HD, PS and TS compound, have "snakeskin?" If so, do they look the same on the sidewall of the PS as the sidewall of the TS? Found some for sale, both say they have snakeskin, but I can only see it on the sidewall of the PS and the TS tire's sidewall looks smooth and without the extra protection.

Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-p4pb9248647.jpg

Thanks!
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Hey TC,

Did both of those HD, PS and TS compound, have "snakeskin?" If so, do they look the same on the sidewall of the PS as the sidewall of the TS? Found some for sale, both say they have snakeskin, but I can only see it on the sidewall of the PS and the TS tire's sidewall looks smooth and without the extra protection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p4pb9248647.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	779185

Thanks!
    I just double-checked - the TrailStar version definitely is SnakeSkin. The branding for it is much more subtle now so it is hard to see. I'm pretty sure that all HDs are SnakeSkin though. If you are looking for a TS version, I'd be willing to sell mine for a good price - it's only got one ride on it.

Edit : I forgot that this is the 650b forum; mine is the 29er version. My SnakeSkin sidewall is definitely more prominent than what I'm seeing in your picture. I'll put up a pic tomorrow.

Dissolved member
    I would add the 2.4 Trail Taker to the list.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Saw one those 2.4 looked kind of like a dhf. Not sure those Vee rubber were 710mm tall though

Dissolved member
    705mm according to my measurements, see HK - Forums • View topic - #650b: Vee Rubber Trail Taker 2.4 on P35 - BIG combo
    It is a NeoMoto on steroids.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    705mm according to my measurements, see HK - Forums View topic - #650b: Vee Rubber Trail Taker 2.4 on P35 - BIG combo
    It is a NeoMoto on steroids.
    I'm wondering if the Trail Taker is discontinued...I read somewhere they ae an earlier run of another branded tire.
    I picked up a set this week. I'm not a tire expert, but they appear to me to be a very well made tire. I'm thinking they will discontinue in the Vee Rubber brand and the price will go ^ once they are made by another manufacturer.maybe it might be good to stock up while the price is what it is.
    Anybody got any thoughts about this?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    From what I know they will not be discontinued... Vee Rubber is here to stay and is going to be a big player. The Trail Taker was supposed to be made for Pacenti Mega-Moto... Since Vee Rubber has the rights and manufacturing for this pattern they are going to continue making it while demand is there...

Starting in April Vee Rubber is planning to bring over 10 different 650B tires to the US and I am super exited about it.... They make really great quality tires 120TPI and they all work tubeless...

I ride, race on Vee Rubber tires.
    http://www.my650b.com/ 650B Tires and Rims

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by My650b.com View Post
    From what I know they will not be discontinued... Vee Rubber is here to stay and is going to be a big player. The Trail Taker was supposed to be made for Pacenti Mega-Moto... Since Vee Rubber has the rights and manufacturing for this pattern they are going to continue making it while demand is there...

Starting in April Vee Rubber is planning to bring over 10 different 650B tires to the US and I am super exited about it.... They make really great quality tires 120TPI and they all work tubeless...

I ride, race on Vee Rubber tires.
    Good to know...I'm looking for some rear tires also...a bit smaller than the takers...but as big as possible.
    Won't know how big til I'm further into the build.
    As I said before, I'm not a tire expert, but the Takers look real sharp to me...very well constructed.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

74 & 29 pilot
    My order from bike-discount.de finally arrived from Deutschland I wanted to try the Schwalbe HD/NN set up and the HD Super Gravity on my Session 88. I've been running the Nevegal 2.35 up front for a year and really like it, but am really interested in the flat top profile of the HD. It measured a true 2.35 on the L-B carbon rim, but the casing is wider than the Nev. It did weigh more than I expected; Schwalbe's site says 795gr, the box said 1040gr(same as the Super Gravity version) and it weighed in at 839gr. The HD SG actually weighed in at 1021gr.

I've tried the Neo-Moto 2.3 (3 of them) and the Ardent 2.25 on the back. Both have been good tires traction wise, but I've torn 2 out of 3 sidewalls on the NMs. The Ardent is a great HIGH volume tire and great traction, but around 50 miles I got a 1/8th of an inch hole in the "EXO" casing between knobs. I ordered the NN 2.25 Pacestar thinking it would be a true, high volume 2.25. I'm pretty worried that it won't survive long here in the AZ desert. No Snakeskin on the 2.25, it doesn't measure true(more like 2.15) and the knobs feel softer than the HD Trailstar knobs. It weighed in lighter than expected at 563gr. If I like the tire, I may have to go with a 2.35 version with the Snakeskin.

Dirty bike and new black tires! Here are a few pics:
    Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3013.jpg
    Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3017.jpg
    Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3025.jpg
    Here is the Nevegal on a Flow rim and the HD on L-B carbon rim side by side
    Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3022.jpg
    Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3027-copy.jpg
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Cool photos

Sidewalls on SG seem interesting. Been looking for a comparison to Muddy Mary or Big Betty. Think I read the SG weight includes scoop of sealant.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    My order from bike-discount.de finally arrived from Deutschland I wanted to try the Schwalbe HD/NN set up and the HD Super Gravity on my Session 88. I've been running the Nevegal 2.35 up front for a year and really like it, but am really interested in the flat top profile of the HD. It measured a true 2.35 on the L-B carbon rim, but the casing is wider than the Nev. It did weigh more than I expected; Schwalbe's site says 795gr, the box said 1040gr(same as the Super Gravity version) and it weighed in at 839gr. The HD SG actually weighed in at 1021gr.

I've tried the Neo-Moto 2.3 (3 of them) and the Ardent 2.25 on the back. Both have been good tires traction wise, but I've torn 2 out of 3 sidewalls on the NMs. The Ardent is a great HIGH volume tire and great traction, but around 50 miles I got a 1/8th of an inch hole in the "EXO" casing between knobs. I ordered the NN 2.25 Pacestar thinking it would be a true, high volume 2.25. I'm pretty worried that it won't survive long here in the AZ desert. No Snakeskin on the 2.25, it doesn't measure true(more like 2.15) and the knobs feel softer than the HD Trailstar knobs. It weighed in lighter than expected at 563gr. If I like the tire, I may have to go with a 2.35 version with the Snakeskin.

Dirty bike and new black tires! Here are a few pics:

Name:	IMG_3013.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	780080

Name:	IMG_3017.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	780081

Name:	IMG_3025.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	780082
    Here is the Nevegal on a Flow rim and the HD on L-B carbon rim side by side

Name:	IMG_3022.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	243.7 KB 
ID:	780083

Name:	IMG_3027 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	1336 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	780084
    MTB Pilot, great post but I have some questions so I can update my thread here (http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/27-...ce-833399.html)...

From the pic it appears that the 2.35 Nevegal is wider than the 2.35 HD - can you confirm?

Can you compare the diameter and width of these tires with the Neo-Moto and Ardent and confirm for me whether I need to make some adjustments in my tire size reference thread?

Fred

74 & 29 pilot
    I'll get some measurements today and let you know.
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Looks like in the picture that the overall diameter of the HD is a little lower then Nevegal too,,,,, Is it just the picture or is it a bit shorter?

How does the NN 2.25 compare in diameter to the Nev 2.35? I run Nevs right now and Im looking to go with a lighter tire but want to keep it close to the same size.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.D View Post
    Looks like in the picture that the overall diameter of the HD is a little lower then Nevegal too,,,,, Is it just the picture or is it a bit shorter?

How does the NN 2.25 compare in diameter to the Nev 2.35? I run Nevs right now and Im looking to go with a lighter tire but want to keep it close to the same size.
    No the Nev and HD side by side was on slightly sloping ground. Now the Nev that I'm measuring has been used off and on for a year on a front wheel, so is a little worn. Here is what I came up with:

TIRE Knob width Casing width Height
    HD 2.35 2.29 27 7/8th inch
    Nev 2.38 2.22 27 5/8th inch
    NN 2.15 2.14 27.5 inch
    Neo Moto 2.34 2.21 27.5 inch

Nothing is exact and the pictures for height aren't all taken at the best angle, but I took the the measurement before the pic.

I wasn't able to measure the Ardent because I took it off to try the NN, but will be putting it back on a Flow EX that the NM is on now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3041.jpg  

Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3042.jpg  

Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3043.jpg  

Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3044.jpg  

Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3046.jpg  

Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3048.jpg  

Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3049.jpg  

Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3050.jpg  

Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3056.jpg  

Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3053.jpg  

Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3054.jpg  

Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3055.jpg  

Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3059.jpg  

Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3060.jpg  

Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3062.jpg  

Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3064.jpg  

MTBP

74 & 29 pilot
    Got out and did 9 miles on the new rubber today, with 5 steep climb, two of them chunky, and 7 fast and chunky descents. The HD seemed just as good if not better than the Nev on the front. I don't think I pushed it as hard, being the first time on the tire. I'm a little disappointed with the NN. I started out with 30 psi and felt the rim bottom out on a few water breaks made of rock. The knobs felt REALLY squirmy! It felt okay in the climbs and gripped well in the loose over hard, the really thick and loose rock, but I spun out twice on really large rocks in two different climbs. Like I said, the knobs are really soft and I can feel them leaning over on the hard rock surfaces. I put a bit more air in and they felt really harsh on one of the descents and the back end felt like it was hanging up on all the big chunky sections. The tire is not a high volume tire like the Ardent 2.25, in which I can run 28-30 PSI no problem, and feels like it has quite a bit more rolling resistance. I'm 195 lbs naked, so I'm not a light weight. The pacestar compound on the NN 2.25 feels softer than the trailstar on the HD 2.35. Not sure what I'm going to do; Give it some more time or sell it now for $45.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3101.jpg  

MTBP

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by btakrrkw View Post
    The one thing about the Nobby Nic is that it is a tall, high volume tire, which means that you can run lower PSI in it and get some pretty good traction as a result.
    I have the EXACT opposite opinion of this tire, the 2.25 version anyways. It's NOWHERE NEAR as tall or volume as the Ardent 2.25.
    MTBP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast