Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Not in the title, but what about the V-Rub Trail Taker?
    Any follow-ups?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    Not in the title, but what about the V-Rub Trail Taker?
    Any follow-ups?
    That's because it's in this thread:http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/fat...l#post10207591
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

74 & 29 pilot
    WEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLL, I don't have to figure what to do with the Nobby Nick now. Went to a different mountain today to give it another chance. These trails have everything the desert has to offer. There are more hard packed trails with big rocks implanted in them and not just loose rock. The 2.25 NN is NOT high volume and it is really hard to find a sweet spot for PSI without it being squirmy or to harsh bouncing off the medium to large rocks. Maybe it would work for lighter riders and probably better on the front with the large soft knobs. It feels to me as the highest rolling resistance tire that I've had on the back since running 650b. I feel SOOOOOO slow climbing hard pack; Like towing an anchor. Anyway, 7 miles in the climb, in a techy rock section the sidewall was the victim of a rock(new record of 16 miles before tearing a sidewall). Didn't slash it wide open, but put a hole that Stan's wouldn't fill. Schwalbe tires without snakeskin are not going to survive the AZ desert, especially if your an aggressive rider in the roughest terrain. I booted it, tubed up and turned to go back. I still couldn't find a sweet spot on PSI with the tube, but started out with a lot and let a little out on the way down. Eventually, bombing down a trail that is mostly small pebbles with random large rocks, the tube pinch flatted at high speed (20-25 mph) and caused me to walk about 1.5 miles out. I am COMPLETELY unimpressed by the 2.25 NN pacestar The 2.35 with snakeskin may be better, but I'm not willing to spend anymore money to try it.

When I got home I found a tear/hole in the HD on the front just inside one of the outer knobs. I did bomb down trails full of rock gardens to see what these could take and I'm impressed with the HD, but now not sure the they can take the desert abuse. I think I'm going to super glue the hole and keep riding it. I didn't lose any air, just noticed it covered in Stan's and dirt.

About 5 miles in the climb
    Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3105.jpg
    Hole in NN sidewall climbing through rocky tech section at 7 miles
    Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3108.jpg
    Hole in casing of HD 2.35 trailstar
    Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3109.jpg
    Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3110.jpg
    MTBP

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    So you pinched while bombing down on a repair and you blame the tire? ooookay

We've also got plenty of desert trails here in Idaho. Lots of scree fields to cross and plenty of quartzite rocks just waiting to take a stab at your sidewalls, which is why I run reinforced (e.g., Schwalbe's SnakeSkin or Conti's ProTection). I've gotten away with less, but one bad line or lazy moment is all it takes. For the most part, however, sidewall tears are preventable.

Sucks about the knobs on your Hans Dampf. I had some Conti X-Kings do that last year (think they had a batch of brittle rubber). Sure hope the Hans Dampf I'm running up front doesn't do the same.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish View Post
    So you pinched while bombing down on a repair and you blame the tire? ooookay

We've also got plenty of desert trails here in Idaho. Lots of scree fields to cross and plenty of quartzite rocks just waiting to take a stab at your sidewalls, which is why I run reinforced (e.g., Schwalbe's SnakeSkin or Conti's ProTection). I've gotten away with less, but one bad line or lazy moment is all it takes. For the most part, however, sidewall tears are preventable.

Sucks about the knobs on your Hans Dampf. I had some Conti X-Kings do that last year (think they had a batch of brittle rubber). Sure hope the Hans Dampf I'm running up front doesn't do the same.
    No, I'm not blaming the tire, just the fact that airing it up to a PSI that wouldn't pinch flat felt too harsh so I had to let some air out and it got squirmy at 26 mph floating through a rocky section of the last descent. Just no sweet spot, because the 2.25 is not high volume and I weigh over 200 lbs geared up. Any time I try something lighter here in the Sonoran, it bites me in the A$$, no pun intended. I threw some super glue in the hole, which was already sealed with Stan's, so I think it will be fine. I just hope the HD SG I put on the front of my Session doesn't come apart that way also.

Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    MTB Pilot, great post but I have some questions so I can update my thread here (http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/27-...ce-833399.html)...

From the pic it appears that the 2.35 Nevegal is wider than the 2.35 HD - can you confirm?

Can you compare the diameter and width of these tires with the Neo-Moto and Ardent and confirm for me whether I need to make some adjustments in my tire size reference thread?

Fred
    Since the NN has been relieved of duty, the Ardent is back on after a tubeless patch on the 1/8 inch hole in the casing. Here is what I measured. It's not HUGE, but tall and really high volume. This tire I can run at 28-30 PSI on the back and no problems bottoming out or squirming. It's a fast roller and a really balanced amount of grip for braking and climbing.

Knob width
    Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3113.jpg
    Casing width
    Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3114.jpg
    A little more than an 1/8 of inch short of 28
    Neo Moto, Hans Dampf or Nobby Nick?-img_3117.jpg
    MTBP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2