mtbr member

Need input on fair asking price, you guys set it!

I need to move the Nickel 650b before moving into the next bike and I really have no idea what would be a good starting point for a selling price. You guys give me input and thats what I'll ask.

-2013 SC Nickel, red, large
    -Velvet X-Fusion, black, with 15mm Syntace axle
    -Stans ZTR flow EX 650b wheelset with Racing Ralphs, tubeless
    -Easton EC70 low rise carbon bar
    -Ibis 90mm stem
    -Woodman EL seat post and titanium clamp with Phenom Expert saddle
    -New Shimano XT IceTechs with 180mm rotors
    -New Monarch RC3 high volume shock, stock Fox RL comes as a spare
    -New Sram X9 ball bearing shifter, X0 rear der, XG 1080 11-36 cassette, hollowpin chain
    -Sram AKA crank with MRP bling ring and E13 chain guide for 1x10 set-up, eggbeaters

The bike is a little over 26# I believe, excellent condition, LBS maintained, obviously this is a bling build with lots of expensive parts and thats why I'm not sure whats appropriate, $2,500 or am I way off, this is probably about a $4k build I'd guess.

Pics before the new brakes and shock...

Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Depends on how quickly you want to sell it.... if you really need it gone, I would guess you'll probably have to get the price around $2k.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Yeah, $2500 sounds fair. Good luck!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, I'll list it for $2,500 and see how it goes. I honestly can use most everything but the frame and fork for the new build so if I can't get my asking price I may just sell the frameset and buy a new one.

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz has created a real catch 22 over the last year with their extensive virtual parking lot sales. On the one hand you were able to buy a brand new, now discontinued, Nickle frame for only $600. On the other hand, now how do you get good resale value out of something you paid double that for and is no longer in production or covered under a warranty with the second owner.

Good luck. Given the rest of the components are high end, your starting price seems fair.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    I had my nickel with almost the same build on bay for 1700.00 with no intrest.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    I had my nickel with almost the same build on bay for 1700.00 with no intrest.
    Should have done 99-cent starting bid. You could have gotten close to that amount.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Hard part about the Nickle at that price is the weight/travel ratio. If I'm looking at 140mm travel, I want the lightest, best pedaling option, and I can think of a few used bikes at $2500 that'll climb better, be lighter, and still have 650b options.

I've seen used Carbine 275s for real close to that price, with more travel, lighter, and likely a higher resale value 3 years down the road.

My thinking is to sell the frame and fork for $500 and keep the rest.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    I have to ask - what is the next bike?
    Are you sure you want to part with the Nickel? I love mine (same exact frame, 'v1.1, size, color), and really don't care to move to something else, even with all the options popping up.

mtbr member
    I love my nickel as well but I'm down to 15 miles a week. Family first and my 4 year old is important. He's a terror on his push bike.

I'm actually thinking of building a carbon hardtail 650b and since I live next to paved greenway trails I can throw my street wheels on for more cardio

mtbr member
    I was wondering about the OP.

mtbr member
    I'm wanting something with less travel to do some racing, I ride pretty easy trails regularly that a hardtail would work on just fine. My activities with family, kids sports, and job prohibit me from making many trips to ride bigger places.
    I could sell the frame/fork and buy a carbon hardtail and shorter travel fork and be fine.

mtbr member
    Lol. We are thinking the same.