mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Need Help Full Conversion or just 650b F 26" rear of Stumpy FSR EVO

Please help! I am just finalizing a new (to me) build of a 2011Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite/Evo with 145mm rear travel with a 66.5 Headtube angle with a 150mm RS Sektor RL Coil fork 26"wheels front & rear. The bike can be converted to 650b but with some compromises. The rear will fit 650b but it will not fit larger volume tires. 650b Racing Ralph tire slightly rubs the chainstay in a slightly out of true Crest wheel. A Nobby Nic 2.25 would be my preferred rear tire (although it is not available in Snake Skin) and per the http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/27-...ce-833399.html thread the Nobby Nic comes in more narrow than the RR but by how much since they both are build on the same carcass? I can go with a smaller rear tire but I do not minimize the intent of a 150mm trail bike. Any thoughts or opinions of a rear tire that would fit but not compromise the intent of the bike.

If I can not find a satisfactory solution for a rear tire than I will just convert the front wheel to 650b. I did a test ride with a Pacenti Meo-Moto 2.3 and with the 150mm Sektor fork it slacked out my front end too much. I would put a 140mm X-Fusion Velvet with a 650b 2.25 Nobby Nic up front and hopfully this combination would not slack out my HT angle too much. My question is what size rear 26" Nobby Nic would you recommend 2.25, 2.35 or 2.4? Again I do not want to slack out my front end any more and am looking to have as a balanced bike as possible.

I am Norther Utah rider but the intent of this bike is a road trip bike for Moab, Frutia, Saint George, Hurricane and Lake Tahoe trails. I have a cross country bike for my local Park City Trails. One last note I will be using Stan's Arch rims for this build.

Thanks

NedwannaB
    You could run an IRD FireXC Pro in back which will give you some knobs and still give the clearance you're looking for/need. Pretty sure on the Arch it would fill out to a pretty good size. I guess it all depends on what terrain and how hard you push it. That same thing can be said for how you treat 26 or 29" tires too. YEMV.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    JMac47,

Thanks for the suggestion. Last season I tried the FireXC Pro in a 26" but was not too impressed (high rolling resistance), but that was on a hard tail, maybe in this application and in 650b it might worth trying out. Do you think the Maxxis Crossmark or the Ritchey Shield would not be enough tire for the rear? If I am not going to have the volume I would want the low rolling resistance of the Crossmark or Shield might be nice? I need to be carful my XC and weight weenie tendencies are coming through!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by PCTele View Post
    JMac47,

Thanks for the suggestion. Last season I tried the FireXC Pro in a 26" but was not too impressed (high rolling resistance), but that was on a hard tail, maybe in this application and in 650b it might worth trying out. Do you think the Maxxis Crossmark or the Ritchey Shield would not be enough tire for the rear? If I am not going to have the volume I would want the low rolling resistance of the Crossmark or Shield might be nice? I need to be carful my XC and weight weenie tendencies are coming through!
    Oh no, I think the CrossMark will be great. I'm actually going to be putting the CMk on back of my 140mm travel fs bike for the weekend. Guess I was thinking FireXC since the Stumpjumper's usually come setup with a grippier Ground Control'ish type tires. But compared to what I've seen talked about on here comparing them to the Nevegals they (the XC's) seem to get a better roll resistance rating. I just have never picked one up myself, since after trying a few different tires(Quasi,2.1 Neo and Nev) on a conversion with space constraints, I've moved on to a 650 specific frame. But now I will probably be pushing the limits on how "big" of a tire I can run in it! Heh heh...

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Oh no, I think the CrossMark will be great. I'm actually going to be putting the CMk on back of my 140mm travel fs bike for the weekend. Guess I was thinking FireXC since the Stumpjumper's usually come setup with a grippier Ground Control'ish type tires. But compared to what I've seen talked about on here comparing them to the Nevegals they (the XC's) seem to get a better roll resistance rating. I just have never picked one up myself, since after trying a few different tires(Quasi,2.1 Neo and Nev) on a conversion with space constraints, I've moved on to a 650 specific frame. But now I will probably be pushing the limits on how "big" of a tire I can run in it! Heh heh...

Hope this helps.
    That is great input, I would love to hear what you think of the CrossMark after your ride this weekend. What are your thoughts of the Ritchey Shield? I know it is a newer tire but the fact that it is tubeless ready makes it appealing. I have had mixed results getting Maxxis tires setup tubeless. Do you think the CrossMark and Shield are comparable purpose tires or is the Shield leaning to far to the XC side of things?

BTW what 140 FS are you riding?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by PCTele View Post
    That is great input, I would love to hear what you think of the CrossMark after your ride this weekend. What are your thoughts of the Ritchey Shield? I know it is a newer tire but the fact that it is tubeless ready makes it appealing. I have had mixed results getting Maxxis tires setup tubeless. Do you think the CrossMark and Shield are comparable purpose tires or is the Shield leaning to far to the XC side of things?

BTW what 140 FS are you riding?
    Ritchey looks great but yes more zippy XC tire. Probably compared to the Quasi and Karma. I have the CMk on my SS now. Really like it tho on one ride earlier in weather there was a regular patch of tacky trail that seemed to bog down going thru. Could have been the conditions of the day but I ride it regularly and it surprised my. Like reverse velcro not letting you go.

And I have a Ventana El Bastardo for the squishy machine.