mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Need Expert Advise For A Build

I've decided to build a 650b to be ready for the 2014 season. I'm building for a few reasons. #1. I don't have 3k+ to drop all at once. #2. I don't care for the component package on the "cheaper" (ha) bikes.

Here's my plan and please input is needed.

Purchase a frame first, full sus. is what I want and build from there. I really have no idea where to get one. Which is best? Etc. there's a used one on eBay right now, a Ventana El Bastardo. Good, bad, mediocre?

Then buy a fork. Don't need anything more than 130mm.

And so on.

Wa Chew think?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I would figure out how much you want to spend on the bike and see if it is realistic before you go too far. I just built a bike for my wife, where I bought the frame off of ebay and then purchased all of the parts separately. The parts mix is all over the place - cranks/brakes/FD are SLX, shifters are X0 grip shift, rear derailleur is X9 Type 2,etc.... The real odd-balls in the build were a lefty fork (used off of ebay) and an angleset headset. I tried to keep the cost down by buying from Europe (bike-discount.de) and doing a large order from Universal Cycles so that I could use the 15% coupon that is always available there. Still, all of this done and building my own wheels, the parts were over $2500. It makes you appreciate the savings that the manufacturers are getting when they buy in bulk, and to some extent has me re-thinking in the future whether it really makes sense to buy a frame only, as opposed to buying a full bike and upgrading as parts wear out, or buying a full bike and selling off the parts you don't like.

Only you can decide what makes the most sense for you. Just start pricing things out so that you make a good decision. Personally, as long as you get the right frame for your riding (and your size), a good fork and a good rear hub, I doubt that you will really notice much of a difference performance wise on the rest of the components. I'd even question whether I can tell the difference between a 27 pound build-up of a frame and a 30 pound build-up of the same frame, as long as the tires are equivalent.

Just my 0.02 having just gone through the process.

BTW - it is a whole lot of fun though to build up a bike from the bare frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Good advice. Thanks. I figure to spend about $2k to 2.5. The reason I thought I'd a build was after seeing a 650b on a site. Don't remember which. For $2300 you came away with really lower end stuff. I certainly won't go with XTR necessarily but I'd like a say on what I do get. I don't mind buying used either.

Plus. I know the fun of a build. Just built a Fixie with my son.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It is almost always cheaper to buy the complete bike from the manufacturer.

Do what TurnerConvert says. Price it all out on your own & compare to the manufacturer's price for complete bikes. I doubt that you will be able to beat their price. Honestly, I doubt that you will be able to even come close.

Again, like TC said, your best bet would be to buy the complete bike and either sell the parts you don't want to help fund the ones you do, or just replace them as they wear out.

mtbr member
    I ride a Bastardo. Like it alot. If its the one with the Purple logo on Ebay it looks like a sweet deal. Ventana quality is top notch. Get you a X fusion 650b fork for a good price.
    09 Ventana El Bastardo 650b
    10 Banshee Viento

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    What don't you like about the builds that come on the bikes you've looked at? Seems strange that you are so opposed to buying a complete bike, yet don't have specific ideas of what you want. Either way, building a bike yourself will cost a lot of money. The only good reason for doing it is because you enjoy the process and have very specific things that you want out of your bike. It's almost always cheaper to buy complete and swap out the few parts you don't care for than to build from the ground up.

mtbr member
    I have built up all of my bikes and you can do it about as cheap as buying complete if you look for deals and also get free shiping. Also pay no tax.
    10 Banshee Viento

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I suppose it's possible, but then if you're at the mercy of what you can get deals on then you'll end up with some compromises anyway. I just think most bikes come decently spec'd for their price when sold complete, so it's pretty easy to find something that you mostly like. Then swap the few things you don't like. It's also easy to miscalculate the cost of a build if you aren't diligent, and think you've got yourself a build for a nice deal until you realize the hundreds of dollars of odds and ends you forgot about.

Of course, if you want to build it up yourself because you want very specific things and want the freedom to build your dream bike then ya it makes sense. But most people's dream bikes don't contain many components that can be found at closeout prices. In my opinion, assuming you have no industry connection/discount, the best way to go about getting a bike is to find a complete bike at a shop that's a year or two old model left over for nice and cheap and go from there. Or, find a fairly new used bike that's well kept. But ya, if you want to source out discounted/used parts and build your own it can certainly be done for a reasonable price. Juts seems like lots of work for what you end up with.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ironxcross View Post
    What don't you like about the builds that come on the bikes you've looked at? Seems strange that you are so opposed to buying a complete bike, yet don't have specific ideas of what you want.
    I do have "ideas" of what I want. I guess I know what I don't want more than what I do want. For instance: for $2400 the KHS SixFifty 5500 has Deore, Alivio, Avid Elixer 1, etc. I was hoping to do better than this for the same price by building. I could be wrong. That's why this thread. One has to pay $3500+ to get good components. Like I said, I could be delusional thinking that I could build a bike cheaper than buying a complete.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ironxcross View Post
    In my opinion, assuming you have no industry connection/discount, the best way to go about getting a bike is to find a complete bike at a shop that's a year or two old model left over for nice and cheap and go from there. Or, find a fairly new used bike that's well kept. But ya, if you want to source out discounted/used parts and build your own it can certainly be done for a reasonable price. Juts seems like lots of work for what you end up with.
    I agree if your looking for a 26 or 29. I bought my current bike used for $800. All XT and XTR drive train, Carbon bars, post. You get the picture. However with the 27.5's there is not really that option is there? Not many used 650b's available.I am starting to think though that buying a complete bike might be the best way. I'll still keep researching though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I know the fun of a build. Just built a Fixie with my son.

mtbr member
    My friend just built up a really nice Jamis 650b. has about 2k in a 3k bike. 10 speed xt drivetrain. Handbuilt wheelset. Fox 150 Talas fork. All brand new parts all are good stuff. Think he got avid Elixer 9 brakes. Slx cranks. Bought a used 2012 B1 frame that looks brand new.
    10 Banshee Viento

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Moodrid View Post
    My friend just built up a really nice Jamis 650b. has about 2k in a 3k bike. 10 speed xt drivetrain. Handbuilt wheelset. Fox 150 Talas fork. All brand new parts all are good stuff. Think he got avid Elixer 9 brakes. Slx cranks. Bought a used 2012 B1 frame that looks brand new.
    That's what I'm talkin about! Because I'm not in a hurry I can be patient about what, where and how I buy. Obviously the most expensive stuff will be frame, fork and wheel set. I'm confident that I can get good values on purchases. For example, I bought a wheelset off Craigslist for my 26. Stan's rims, new tires, Hope hubs and disks for $400 used once.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Might have just what you're looking for without all the hassle (actually 2 possibilities as the Prophet converts wonderfully to 650B) if you fit a size large frame.

PM sent
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Oh... must admit I wasn't taking the 650b factor into account at all. Oops.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Might have just what you're looking for without all the hassle (actually 2 possibilities as the Prophet converts wonderfully to 650B) if you fit a size large frame.

PM sent
    Thanks man. Yer post does raise a question for me though. I tried find an answer by reading the fork sticky, but when I realized I'd have to read through 5 years of post I bailed.

I am assuming riding a 650b spicific is better than a "compatible" 650b. Right? I am assuming there's allot going into this issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by givati View Post
    I am assuming riding a 650b spicific is better than a "compatible" 650b. Right? I am assuming there's allot going into this issue.
    This is a hard question, which I am not even going to try to answer (I'm a noob to the 650b world myself). The problem I found is that while I think the 650b wheel is a good solution for some things I am looking for, the direction that the manufacturers are taking 650b (140-160mm travel bikes) is not what I am looking for at all. I too initially started thinking I didn't want to do a conversion, but I talked myself out of it. I will say that there seems to be lots of people that are happy with their converted 650b bikes, so I wouldn't rule it out immediately.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert View Post
    This is a hard question, which I am not even going to try to answer (I'm a noob to the 650b world myself). The problem I found is that while I think the 650b wheel is a good solution for some things I am looking for, the direction that the manufacturers are taking 650b (140-160mm travel bikes) is not what I am looking for at all. I too initially started thinking I didn't want to do a conversion, but I talked myself out of it. I will say that there seems to be lots of people that are happy with their converted 650b bikes, so I wouldn't rule it out immediately.
    Ya I hear you. In the sense of being a noob, I am in the 650b realm for sure, so there are so many unanswered questions I have. I just want to make sure I don't end up building something that's not right, say in the geometry realm. Maybe I'm obsessing over something I shouldn't though.

And I don't need the amount of travel most of the factory bikes have. I'm an XC rider. 100mm has been enough for me till now. I'm guessing the extreme amount of travel is because the lack thereof on the 29er's so their focusing on a specific market right now.

Regardless. I'm hoping those that have more knowledge than I steers me in the right direction. Fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    I am not an expert, but having built 3 bikes and 2 wheelsets about a year ago and in the process of another build, I say go for it. Take your time finding your parts and I think you'll find ways to save money on the bike you want instead of settling for the bike you can get. I'd also say that if the wheel fits, roll it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    So . . . what I figured would happen is happening.
    That Ventana frame has got 2 hours left on Ebay but I'm afraid to buy it. Not that I don't trust Moodrid! I just don't have enough knowledge to make an really informed/secure decision.

mtbr member
    If you need a Med frame you wont find one of higher quailty and good ride. If you can get it for 680 thats a deal. I paid 700 for mine
    10 Banshee Viento

mtbr member
    I'm riding about $4k worth of bike and I'm only into it for about $2,500. I bought a mix of new and used pieces and good deals from my LBS and a couple online retailers. I stalked ebay for a couple weeks as well as the usual online guys.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I guess I'm just gonna do my research right now as I save my cashola. Either way, I need to take it one step at a time as I don't have all the funds needed for either buying a complete bike or buying all the pieces parts to build.

I guess the hard part is my decision to go 27.5. There's several reasons for that as you all know. I am regularly taking lots of crap from all my MTB friends for even thinking in the 27.5 direction. All I hear is "comon man, just get a 29er". I have to say . . It would be easier.