mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Need advice - ENVE AM's on Carbine 275

SOS...I just got my Enve's and some Hans Dampf tubeless tires and I need some advice.

Hito...I know that you are running the Enve's too...would appreciate your input.

The tires mount up on the rims really well...my issue is that I'm not getting a good seal around the valves.

I already run tubeless in road and mtn...Shimano road tubeless (C24TL), XTR tubeless (26'r), XT tubeless (29'r). I've never had an issue with the valves sealing to the rims with the Shimano wheels.

I did a meticulous job of taping the Enve's up, making sure to overlap the tape over the molded valve hole, pressing down on the tape and seating the valves per instructions.

I'm getting a fair amount of air escaping from around the valves. Will adding Stan's seal up the valve leaks? I'm looking for advice from anyone who's set up ENVE rims, to hopefully avoid an Exon Valdez situation in my basement shop.

Thanks for the advice...

Committed
    Use some stan's, then no problems.
    I run my enves tubless and even with ust tires I like a bit of stans to make sure it all stays air tight and to seal any punctures that can occur when riding in challenging terrain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    Use some stan's, then no problems.
    I run my enves tubless and even with ust tires I like a bit of stans to make sure it all stays air tight and to seal any punctures that can occur when riding in challenging terrain.
    Thanks...I'm looking for advice specific to air leaking at the valves and what you all did to get the valve area sealed...I run tubeless ready on both of my Shimano mtn set ups with no problems...the ENVE's are leaking quite a bit of air at the valves. I really don't want to have to clean up a stan's explotion if there is something that I should have done to get the valves to seal.

I took the tires off again this morning...removed the valves and put on a dab of stans where the valves meet the rims...then reinstalled the valves...hoping that once the stans set up around the valve they might be air tight or at least closer to air tight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What happens if you run over a thorn?

mtbr member
    Wheelman.....my original ones, I taped with the AM tape as instructed in the Enve Video......now that I have had a second set built up by my local wheeliebuilder I noticed that he did a little trick.......He cut the tape even narrower than the provided Gorilla Tape that Enve sold me and it helped with getting tires to seal up more at the rim.....Now to your original issue, I use stans, alot of stans, the reason is the dreaded thorn issue above and such as well as I got a sidewall cut on the Whole Enchilada and the STANS actually sealed that thing up, now I got another more severe one later that required a tube but damn stans is good crap...

A few items of note, definitely rotate the valve stem to the 4 or 7 o'clock point when airing up with stans in the wheel, if not you can get a decent amount in the valve stem and those things clog kinda easy. I notice that with these wheels a couple of times a week my tires will deflate overnight and other nights they hold air fine, strange but it is what it is...I love the enve's but more so I LOVE CARBON wheels and can't wait until Easton releases some of their Pizza Cutter Stiff Havocs for 650b in carbon.....I am really a fan of true UST/Carbon Wheels. Also really tighten the valve stem nut down with a pair of needle nose pliers without the tire on the rim while making sure the stem doesn't rotate at all on the inside of the rim. Let us know how it runs out. Also and I will stop promise, I used to really like to run UST combos without any juice at all but now the mess/added weight issue is trumped by the ability to seal up some minor holes that seem to "bite" at the wrong time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hito...thanks!

So you're telling me to go ahead and add the Stans and it'll seal up the leaky valves...right?

I'll let the dab of Stans around the valves dry over night...hopefully it'll slow the leak enough so that I won't have two or three scoops of Stans exit the valve hole when I air em up.

I'm hoping that they'll hold air w/o the Stans.

Re:tightening the nut with a pliers...any issue with cracking the rim? ENVE suggests no pliers.

I've had great luck with my Shimano true tubeless wheels - road and mtn. I'm a believer in adding the schmutz and run either Caffe Latex or Hutch Protectair in the road wheels and Stans in the mountain wheels with great success. I rarely even know until end of ride if I punctured.

Early season this year I took my road tires off and methodically cleaned up ALL of the dried up sealant under the rim hooks. magically they no longer lose air overnight. I went two weeks without needing to air up. I then did the same thing to my 29'r wheels filled them to the max with Stans and they now hold air for days too. Both sets of rims are true UST rims.

mtbr member
    Yes I'm saying add the Stan's. my experience is that it will seal most all leak area's. I just fill to 40psi with a Topeak floor pump then spin the wheels a few times then go hop around a little to make sure the Stan's is spread all around any possible leaks. I haven't cracked a rim yet from tightening it but I don't crank it down super tight. Just tighter than my fingers allow me to.

Ninja Master Powers
    I just put my Enve 26 AM wheels on my Nomad C last night.

I had air leaking around the valve stem as well. What I did is swap the o-ring for a harder Viton o-ring I have as spares for my Closed circuit rebreather (dive equipment).

Then used pliers to tighten the nut on the valve stem a little more than I can get it by hand.

No mote leaks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Success

DWill...thanks for the tip...I'll visit a dive shop this week to see if I can get a couple of the Viton rings. I experimented a bit with tightening and loosening the retainer rings which changed the amount of air escaping...so I'm thinking that more robust o-rings might do the trick...I've been spoiled with the Shimano wheels since they seal up perfectly.

I got the tires to hold air...the dab of Stan's on the valve heads seemed to have no effect on the valves leaking air. I did the hop and hope by adding a couple scoops of Stan's and then airing them up...air stil came out of the valves however they finally stopped leaking after some spinning and a lot of shaking.

I've got em aired up to 30 right now and will leave them overnight to see how they hold up.

Thanks for all of the help guys

mtbr member
    Good luck Wheelman.....as a side note, Mavic UST valves might do a bit better if you can make a quick stop to your LBS tomorrow. Most the ones around here carry the Mavics....Better O-Ring and longer rubber sleeve coming up the valve base than the enve ones. Local Builder used Mavics on mine I found out today.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman55 View Post
    DWill...thanks for the tip...I'll visit a dive shop this week to see if I can get a couple of the Viton rings. I experimented a bit with tightening and loosening the retainer rings which changed the amount of air escaping...so I'm thinking that more robust o-rings might do the trick...I've been spoiled with the Shimano wheels since they seal up perfectly.

I got the tires to hold air...the dab of Stan's on the valve heads seemed to have no effect on the valves leaking air. I did the hop and hope by adding a couple scoops of Stan's and then airing them up...air stil came out of the valves however they finally stopped leaking after some spinning and a lot of shaking.

I've got em aired up to 30 right now and will leave them overnight to see how they hold up.

Thanks for all of the help guys
    Try a dab of rubber cement. Works for me.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Had the same problem (though not on Enves). My solution -- a 1/2" square of old innertube with a hole in it and used as a washer between the nut and rim. Didn't have an O ring, and this solved the problem in 60 seconds for free.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have a pair of enve 650b am's with neo's and didn't experience any problems like that. I did find that I really had to mash the valves into the hole. Stans will make up for any mistakes. Ive got about 50 miles of rocky nasty new england riding on them and they hold up really well.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by deofour View Post
    I have a pair of enve 650b am's with neo's and didn't experience any problems like that. I did find that I really had to mash the valves into the hole. Stans will make up for any mistakes. Ive got about 50 miles of rocky nasty new england riding on them and they hold up really well.
    50 miles...let me know after 500 or more Very unforgiving here for wheels if you like to ride aggressively so I'll be interested to see how they hold up as the miles build.

I'm gonna try some of the new Conti Revo Sealant that Pro Bike Supply reccommended.
    Here's a thread on it

New tire sealant from Continental, Revo Sealant
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    True true but it is a start and you begin to get an idea of how well things are going to hang in there. Never used the Conti but if the probike guys are recommending it I would go with it. Half of my Mojo Hd 650B came from them.