mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Need Advice on a 69er

I have an 08 Giant Rincon and I'm thinking about throwing a White Brothers Rocksolid Rigid 29er fork on it and running it as a 69er. Would this work? The headtube angle is 70.5 would the ride be too slack? I'm getting a real good deal on the fork ($100) and I can't decide if I should go through with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try it, what could it hurt?

What is the axel to crown height of the current fork? That should tell you how much different it will be (by seeing how much it will raise - or lower - the front end).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Axel to crown is measured from the dropouts to where the crown race sits correct?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM
    Axel to crown is measured from the dropouts to where the crown race sits correct?
    Yes. Basically the center of the dropouts to the bottom of the headset.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    A conversion can be done. Oh man, a 29er fork up front with a big 29er wheel makes for a sweet bike. Once you try it, you'll love it! I love my converted Gary Fisher Aquila. I bet Gary Fisher never thought of that back in the 90s. Heh.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So guys my current 100MM fork's axle to crown measurement is ~ 465MM. I believe the rigid White Bro's fork is 465MM as well. So I guess the only difference will be the height difference between the 29" tire and 26" tire right? If I throw a 26 inch tire on it nothing geometry wire will change right?

mtbr member
    There is a version of that White Brothers fork that is suspension corrected for a 26" wheel. I think it may be a 430mm AC height. Grab that one instead of the 29er version of the fork and you'll be golden.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for all that helped. Here is a picture of my 69er Giant Rincon. I'm totally sold on the 29er front wheel. It rolls over everything and handles really well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 69.JPG (359.8 KB, 228 views)

mtbr member
    That looks pretty friggin cool. Nice work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just a update on the ride. I took it out yesterday for the first time in the mud and it performed like a champ. While the other riders in my group were getting stuck in the mud my 69er was plowing through it. The rear tire did wash around a lot in the back though. Which got me thinking that I might actually upgrade to a 650B in the rear.

Climbing felt as good as my 26" bike, mostly in part because the bike only weighs 23 pounds. Riding over roots and smaller rocks was a pure joy, even with the rigid fork the 29 inch wheel helped to smooth out the trail. The additional traction in front made the bike handle like it was on rails.

I'm totally sold on bigger wheels!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sweet setup! I just threw a 29in wheel on the front of my old 26er too. I used a Pace 440 axle to crown fork and there is still plenty of room as you can see. The bike handles really well so far.
    phpUb7SdmPM.jpg
    nobody reads your blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM
    Just a update on the ride. I took it out yesterday for the first time in the mud and it performed like a champ. While the other riders in my group were getting stuck in the mud my 69er was plowing through it. The rear tire did wash around a lot in the back though. Which got me thinking that I might actually upgrade to a 650B in the rear.

Climbing felt as good as my 26" bike, mostly in part because the bike only weighs 23 pounds. Riding over roots and smaller rocks was a pure joy, even with the rigid fork the 29 inch wheel helped to smooth out the trail. The additional traction in front made the bike handle like it was on rails.

I'm totally sold on bigger wheels!

Did you end up using a '29er' or '26er' fork?

mtbr member
    I did the same thing but I used a 26" rigid fork with the 29er tire, crap for clearance but when it gets real sloply I put on a wide CX tire 700x45c
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    1speed -- I like the murdered out black look on your SS. I'll eventually convert my Rincon to a SS too someday.

beastwood9 -- I went with the 29er fork (because I got a real good deal on it), which did not change the geometry too much. I do have a load of clearance now though (about 60mm excess), however I swapped out my riser bar for a flat bar which helped to lower the front of the bike a little. It feels real comfortable. I'm not too upright either.

scooter916 -- Nice! How does the bike ride with suspension in the rear and the rigid up front?
    Last edited by D1PHAM; 01-26-2009 at 10:54 PM.