mtbr member
    Sep 2005

My Secret Weapon!

My Pacenti 650b hardtail carried me to a win today in the Masters 40+ category of the Snotcycle MTB race in Leesburg VA today! The course was an icy mess back in the woods. We all crashed a bunch of times. There were about 40 or 50 guys in the masters field and my two buddies in the field came in 2nd and 5th ... so we all had a pretty good day!

I've had the bike for almost a year now ... but it arrived about the time I was gearing up for the road racing season last year and I'm sorry to say I rarely rode it! I didn't do a single MTB race last season ... it was all road all the time for me last year.

Anyhow, the bike handled great and the Neo-Motos hooked up as well as could be expected in the crappy conditions. I'm 5'9'' and the 650b wheel size makes perfect sense for me.

Curt, on one of the crashes, my handlebars/shifters came around and whacked the TT really hard and left a nasty dent ... I'm going to have to send pictures to you next week to see what you think ... I think it probably needs repaired ... Crap! I just replaced the grip shifters with thumb shifters and did not pay attention to the contact potential ... that's a hard lesson!

The bike is built up with XO shifters and derailleurs, Hope mono mini brakes, self built WTB laser disc lite / velocity blunt wheelset, XT cranks, FSA carbon bar, Ergon grips, WCS stem, and Thomson post. I have a Fox Vanilla fork on there right now, but also have a White Bros 650b fork that I would normally use ... just messing around to see how the Vanilla felt today. Nothing is smoother than a well broken in Vanilla!

Here's the pic:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All Mountain: Ventana El Chamuco
    XC: Turner Flux

Homey don't play that!
    Good job!!!!
    [SIZE="2"]Old age and treachery will always win over youth and exuberance. [/SIZE]

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauliemon
    Good job!!!!
    Sweet ride,... is it steel?

Hey Paul!
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks! It was really fun!

Here's a better picture of the bike when I first built it up last spring ... a few different parts at that time ... grip shifters, hayes brakes, and the White Bros. fork.

Curt was easy to work with and it only took a couple of months from placing the order to receiving the frame. I got the same paint job as his original bike. I think it looks classy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigred67
    Sweet ride,... is it steel?
    Yep ... not sure of the tube mix. Frame was 3.98 lbs bare naked if I remember correctly. Not bad at all!

I'm digging through old files and finding more pics ... this is one from right after paint:

So it looks like steel and if so the dent might be ugly or pretty depending on how you look at scars. It should be fine as far a strength.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigred67
    So it looks like steel and if so the dent might be ugly or pretty depending on how you look at scars. It should be fine as far a strength.
    You might be right about that ... and I'm fond of scars on bikes! But the way the shifter hit it, it is almost like a crease rather than a dent. Tomorrow afternoon, I'll wash the bike, sand the spot a bit to see what I'm dealing with and then send a couple of pics to Curt.

If it's OK ... nothing is easier to touch up than a white bike

Quote Originally Posted by SUB160
    You might be right about that ... and I'm fond of scars on bikes! But the way the shifter hit it, it is almost like a crease rather than a dent. Tomorrow afternoon, I'll wash the bike, sand the spot a bit to see what I'm dealing with and then send a couple of pics to Curt.

If it's OK ... nothing is easier to touch up than a white bike
    I have a dime sized dent on my steel SS right buy the drop out on the chain stay and have ridden it a lot since the dent without any problems. That is a place where it would break if it was an issue.

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    Congrats man, I won the SS class at Snotcycle on an orange 1x1 with 650 wheels and NeoMotos!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xmynameisdan
    Congrats man, I won the SS class at Snotcycle on an orange 1x1 with 650 wheels and NeoMotos!
    That's awesome! 650's dominating today! We need pictures

nothing relevant to say
    THAT IS RAD GUYS! Goodonya for the wins! How are your feelings toward 650B? Do you think they aided in the victories?

I just want to see a pic of your head without that helmet on...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    I just want to see a pic of your head without that helmet on...
    I think I need a bigger helmet to use with my winter hat!

-John

Forgive me for asking, it's just that I saw Coneheads the other night and....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Nice Job! Congrats!

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SUB160
    That's awesome! 650's dominating today! We need pictures
    No pics from the race [yet] but here's the steed! These Neo's are great tires. I run the rear backwards and I was getting great traction yesterday.

Picture.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    No pics from the race [yet] but here's the steed! These Neo's are great tires. I run the rear backwards and I was getting great traction yesterday.
    That's a great looking set-up. Stan's rims! Nice! Thanks for posting the pic and congrats again on tearing it up in the race!

-John

1 ☼ ♥

Good job! Long Live Neo Motos

No podium at Snotcycle but I too ran 650b Neo Motos and they rocked!!!:
    Last edited by mrkaztro; 02-02-2009 at 09:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkaztro
    No podium at Snotcycle but I too ran 650b Neo Motos and they rocked!!!:
    More details on your 1x1 frame size and the amount of travel on that Fox fork please!

1 ☼ ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    More details on your 1x1 frame size and the amount of travel on that Fox fork please!
    16" frame with an F100 RLC. I'm about 5' 6" and it's a perfect fit. I love It! Like everyone says big wheel advantage and 26" geometry. It handles like it was made for 650b wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    16" frame with an F100 RLC. I'm about 5' 6" and it's a perfect fit. I love It! Like everyone says big wheel advantage and 26" geometry. It handles like it was made for 650b wheels.
    Real nice! Your bike sure looks perfectly proportioned. Perfect for us small to medium sized guys!

That's three 650b bikes at one local race!

Hmm ... you are running the stans rims too. One of these days I'll cough up the cash for a set of those rims!

Regards,

John

1 ☼ ♥
    Thanks!

BTW are you running those Velocity's tubeless? When I was in the process of deciding which rims I wanted, the Velocity's were high on my list but reading in the forum, there was a thread about them being undersized and causing the tire to roll off the rim.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks!

BTW are you running those Velocity's tubeless? When I was in the process of deciding which rims I wanted, the Velocity's were high on my list but reading in the forum, there was a thread about them being undersized and causing the tire to roll off the rim.

Nope ... running tubes ... I have not made the tubeless leap yet

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    SUB160 - what much travel is that Fox Vanilla? Your bike looks great - I'm thinking of the Vanilla as on option, but 140mm (according to Fox's website) seems a bit much travel for a hardtail XC/ light AM bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mhickey79
    SUB160 - what much travel is that Fox Vanilla? Your bike looks great - I'm thinking of the Vanilla as on option, but 140mm (according to Fox's website) seems a bit much travel for a hardtail XC/ light AM bike.
    Hi ... I've got mine set at 100mm.

On the older 130mm forks (2006 and earlier I think) you could change spacers inside the fork and run them at either 130mm or 100mm. Unfortunately, I don't think you can change the travel on the newer Vanillas.

Regards,

John