mtbr member

My Rawland Olaf is done!

Finished up my Olaf this morning! Here's some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/annies48...eat=directlink

And one here for fun:

Note the first few pics had the back fender I cut too short--I had a spare so I redid it with much better results, I think. With the plastic mudflap, it gives pretty good coverage but I can still easily remove the back wheel for flipping or flats. I don't know how long an SKS fender will last with that much unsupported length--we'll see.

As you may surmise from the backdrop, it'll be a little while before I can do a real ride report. On a quick jaunt up and down our road (just a couple of miles) it was good--lively and comfortable. I'm not sure about the bars (OnOne Mary bars, flipped upside down) I like them but I fear drops might be more comfortable on longer rides. I'll do some rides once the weather improves and see how they feel. I want to try some "real," trail rides on this so the wider bars seem a good idea, plus I had them sitting around. If I find I'm mainly doing road/mild trails I may switch over. Might even set it up to switch between the two--wouldn't be hard I don't think.

I did fenders with the Fatty Rumpkin tires mainly because I could, and I really like to have them on an all 'rounder sort of bike. I have a hard time not putting fenders on any bike that has room for them. (a character flaw, no doubt) I figure for real trails I'll need to swap to knobbies anyway and while I've got the wheels off, it's just a few bolts to remove the fenders if it seems like a good idea.

It's a two-speed fixed/free, with 38-40 rings and 17-19 Dingle fixed cogset and a matching White Industries dual freewheel. Trail gear and road gear! I wanted to use a smaller small ring but the trackends aren't set at an angle like the Rivendell Quickbeam to allow axle movement without messing up brake alignment so that didn't work out. I might need to gear a bit lower for trails if I like riding it on them, but I'm pretty satisfied with how it came out otherwise. I like the bike all out of proportion to it's cost, which I think is a good sign.
    Last edited by SteveF; 01-25-2009 at 02:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Great looking ride! Did you get the frame for $350 closeout price? Can't beat it for the money.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That looks sweet. I want a sogn so bad.
    I'm a girl and I'm on the internet. Get over it.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I couldn't resist the sale price. Wasn't even really in the market for a bike! I've been wanting a fixed gear 650b bike anyway, so even if I don't end up doing much trail riding on it, it'll find a spot in my stable...boy, one nice thing about snow--makes a great background for pics of a red bike!
    Last edited by SteveF; 01-25-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Joenes
    Nov 2004
    Nice build Steve.

I've finally got my Olaf dialed. I've settled with Salsa Poco drops and 32/17 fixed. I've been doing fixed gear trail rides and loving it. I can't believe how fun it is and how easy it is. The fixed gear gives you so much traction for tech climbs and complete power throughout your pedal stroke.

Hope you get a chance to ride some trail in the near future, you're gonna love it!
    Last edited by josegraff; 01-25-2009 at 07:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by josegraff
    Nice build Steve.

I've finally got my Olaf dialed. I've settled with Salsa Poco drops and 32/16 fixed. I've been doing fixed gear trail rides and loving it. I can't believe how fun it is and how easy it is. The fixed gear gives you so much traction for tech climbs and complete power throughout your pedal stroke.

Hope you get a chance to ride some trail in the near future, you're gonna love it!

Thanks! I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. Drops and fixed on the trail, eh? That's quite a set up. I rode with a guy a couple of years ago who had a 29'er Slingshot set up as a fixed gear and with Dirtdrops. He rocked it pretty hard...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I also fell victim to the $350 deal from Rawland and hope to see a Sogn sometime this week.
    Not that I'm going to ride it around here (Charlotte,MI) anytime soon, but it might motivate me to go for a deep freeze ride a couple times a week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by number2
    I also fell victim to the $350 deal from Rawland and hope to see a Sogn sometime this week.
    Not that I'm going to ride it around here (Charlotte,MI) anytime soon, but it might motivate me to go for a deep freeze ride a couple times a week.
    Hah, I'm in East Lansing--small world...

mtbr member
    How tall are you and what size frame set did you buy?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF
    Hah, I'm in East Lansing--small world...
    We will have to get together for some side by side testing. I ordered a XS, I'm 5'7" and it is as close to my custom geometry as I've seen in a stock frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    How tall are you and what size frame set did you buy?

I'm a fraction under 5'7" and bought the size small...

mtbr member
    We will have to get together for some side by side testing. I ordered a XS, I'm 5'7" and it is as close to my custom geometry as I've seen in a stock frame.
    I am the same height and almost got an XS, but on Sean's advice I went with the Small for more of an all 'rounder fit. I think the XS would've been a good size for me if it were a dedicated trail ride.

Maybe meet up at Burchfield or the new trails in your town sometime! That'd be cool, 'cause I'd like to see how the XS would've fit me...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF
    I am the same height and almost got an XS, but on Sean's advice I went with the Small for more of an all 'rounder fit. I think the XS would've been a good size for me if it were a dedicated trail ride.

Maybe meet up at Burchfield or the new trails in your town sometime! That'd be cool, 'cause I'd like to see how the XS would've fit me...
    My 29" inseam was the deciding factor in frame size. I'll be using this for a gravel road bike most of the time and for testing 650b versus 29" for a new custom MTB. I'm all for hitting Burch,Bennett and Anderson sometime for a comparison as they all have something different for testing the new wheel size. I also use CBros pedals.

mtbr member
    My 29" inseam was the deciding factor in frame size. I'll be using this for a gravel road bike most of the time and for testing 650b versus 29" for a new custom MTB. I'm all for hitting Burch,Bennett and Anderson sometime for a comparison as they all have something different for testing the new wheel size. I also use CBros pedals.
    Ah that would explain it--my inseams almost 32". I PM'd you about a ride when the snow goes...