mtbr member
    Mar 2006

My New VooDoo Wanga 650B

After a year of brainstorming this project I've finally come full circle to my original frame I seriously considered building this 650B hardtail. Other than the special parts I needed for this bike to come together, I didn't go crazy with specing it out with new components. I just figured if I really like it, I'll trick it out later.

Special parts:
    Voodoo Wanga 18" with sliding derailluer hanger dropouts
    X-Fusion Velvet R Fork
    Stock Front Velocity Blunt 650B wheel
    WTB LaserDisc Lite rear hub, Blunt, DT Swiss built by Me
    Pacenti Quasi Motos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7708779@N04/2925682526/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7708779@N04/2924829539/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7708779@N04/2924829483/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7708779@N04/2924829435/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7708779@N04/2925682332/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7708779@N04/2925682280/

Right after snapping these pics I took it out to get it dirty. Wow! These Quasi's really hook up well, without slowing you down. The Velvet R fork is probably the smoothest fork I've ever had, although I have to cut down the travel from 130mm to 100mm. I don't put enough weight on the front end of the bike to be balanced for XC riding. This has to be the best wheel size setup I've ever ridden. I've never ridden a 29er, and last season I had a 96er conversion. The 29er up front was too big for my style of riding and my body size. 650b just feels right, you don't feel like your getting caught up in rutts or hanging up on logs like I feel with 26ers. It doesn't feel like steering a clydedale horse through the corners when you really want to lean and dig in. The 650b setup just feels natural, the same way air shocks felt the first I rode them, hydrolic brakes, and steel hardtails. Once I lower the travel on the fork I believe this will be my new favorite bike!

This bike was built up at Bike Club in Falls Church, VA

Cheers

mtbr member
    Looks cool. What is that rear derailleur you are running? Nice work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's great that it's working out well for you.
    The Wanga, Blunts and Velvet R seem to be good choices for building up a 650b.
    I'd like to hear how these do in your future rides.

How much farther forward are you able to move the rear wheel? I'm curious how much range you have in the sliding dropouts if you run it singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    BB height?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Re

R Derail is a Suntour XCR, I like it because depending on how you clamp the cable to the cage, up or down, you can use Shimano 2:1 or SRAM 1:1

The Quasi almost cleared all the way forward in the sliders, but too close for my taste

I'll figure out BB height after I drop the fork to 100mm

Cheers

nothing relevant to say
    R4S, my Velvet is too long at 130 for my VooDoo also. I had a crappy ride before Interbike and could only blame it on my fork travel. I'll be tuning it down to 100 as well. As for my Bokor, I can run my drop nearly all the way forward. I posted on my blog specifics.

Took you long enough to get this going! Build looks good!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    BB height is 12.5" with the fork dropped down to 100mm. I took it out on a long hard rail trail ride yesterday, to break things in and dial in the minor things. Pumped up the Quasis to Max 55 psi and just put down the hammer for 3 hours straight. If this bike is to be my Race/XC bike might as well get my motor up to par. This is the fastest MTB I've ever ridden on pavement, I was blowing all the roadies away, and some of them would just refuse to get out of my way. I 'd say "Pass", they would look back and see a MTBR and ignore me, after riding thier butts for minute or so I'd pass them on the shoulder. They couldn't believe it. Two things make it fast, larger diameter wheels/tires look almost the same height as 700cX23c, and the slightly higher gear ratio which I believe was posted by somebody on this forum as 6-7% higher than conventional 26er wheels. I am now convinced the Quasi's are pretty low resistance, of course with Max psi it helps.

Cheers

Paste eater
    so you were riding it on the road? with roadies?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

re

yes I was riding on the road, no I wasn't riding with roadies but obviously riding along a bike path you bound to come across roadies. Its not quite clear if you are snubbing the fact that I was riding a MTB on the road or if for some reason it be uncool to ride along with roadies. Either way I don't give a Shovel Load, whatever happen to just A bike period.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Riding for Sanity
    Its not quite clear if you are snubbing the fact that I was riding a MTB on the road or if for some reason it be uncool to ride along with roadies. Either way I don't give a Shovel Load, whatever happen to just A bike period.
    Neither, just trying to make sense of your post. I am actually very interested in your bike.

NedwannaB

Quick "Q"

XPacenti Quasi Motos
    I'm in early stages of converting my 17" VooDoo Bizango w/fixed horz drop outs to 650b. Any idea how close your axle position ended up compared to where it would have been on fixed drop out? I runn reg 700c croos wheels on mine with plenty room, just not sure enough with a Quasi's on 650 rim.

Thank in advance.

NedwannaB

Bump.....

Special parts:

Pacenti Quasi Motos
    ....easier fix. Could you give me your chainstay length, i.e. c-c bb to hub axle as it is set up now?

Thx in advance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

re

I started with the dropouts all the way forward, rub definitely. Half way back it cleared but was too close to ride off road, although I think the Blunt rims make the Quasi footprint wider. I ended up with the sliders all the way to the back. I just measured from center of Rear Axle to center of BB is 17", from Center of Rear Axle to chainstay/BB weld is 16.75". At first I realyy wanted a Bizango with the 853 tubing, I just didn't want to chance the incompatibility.

Cheers

NedwannaB

Sorry.....

I started with the dropouts all the way forward, rub definitely. Half way back it cleared but was too close to ride off road, although I think the Blunt rims make the Quasi footprint wider. I ended up with the sliders all the way to the back. I just measured from center of Rear Axle to center of BB is 17", from Center of Rear Axle to chainstay/BB weld is 16.75". At first I realyy wanted a Bizango with the 853 tubing, I just didn't want to chance the incompatibility.

Cheers
    ...lost track of this post. Thx for info. I'll be running a Stans rim so should keep the Quasi foot print narrrower . Trying to figure your 2 dimensions, is it 16.25" to BB weld? Thinking more then a 1/4" diff measuring to center of BB vs. weld points.

Anyway, I was thinking using a White Industries eccentric disk hub (have standard SS eccentric V brake type on bike now) to be able to rotate more clearence, not sure if it will work though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    i just bought wanga 21 inch frame, im planning to buid up 650b wheels for it, i'm new to building bikes. i dont know which fork to choose for it im thinking about voodoo zombie and my question is wouldn't be it too long or on one fork cromoly the website info states that this fork is within 80mm travel too short maybe?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    my voodoo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New VooDoo Wanga 650B-img_20131229_175705.jpg