Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008

My new vintage 650b

Here's a looksy at my 1991 GT Tachyon. I never would have thought that my most liked bike would be a 17 year old GT.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

awsome bike baylor!

I wish I could fit 650bs on my trek. I now have it as a 1x 8 set up & might try 650b touring tires later on. Here are the pics of my bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chklto
    I wish I could fit 650bs on my trek. I now have it as a 1x 8 set up & might try 650b touring tires later on. Here are the pics of my bikes.
    locobaylor was able to fit 650b wheels on his Tachyon because that bike was originally designed around a 700d wheel size. 700d bead diameter is 587mm while 650b is 584mm. That 3mm difference is how he's able to get the brakes to work.

Your Trek has brakes that were located to work with 26" (559mm) rims. Even if you could physically fit a 650b wheel in your frame/fork, the brakes wouldn't be able to be adjusted to hit the rim, unless you use the Paul Motolite BMX brake.

And very cool Tachyon build!

mtbr member
    That GT rocks!

TNC
    noMAD man
    Don't worry, Baylor. No matter how many good comments you get on the forum here, we'll still make fun of you at the shop!

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    locobaylor was able to fit 650b wheels on his Tachyon because that bike was originally designed around a 700d wheel size. 700d bead diameter is 587mm while 650b is 584mm. That 3mm difference is how he's able to get the brakes to work.
    Plus it's easy to get the brakes to work if you use the original wheelset

nothing relevant to say
    Well, I love this GT bike. I have a Trek frame that I have decided to convert to a bike JUST like this Tachyon. Very cool. If any one out there has one of these hanging, rotting; I'd be happy to take if off your hands.

TNC
    noMAD man
    I wish he'd post some new pics on it. He's got an MTB bar, front V-brake, tubeless setup, and more done to it now. He's been riding this thing even in its drop bar setup at our local trail...and let's say our trail is not very smooth at all...LOL!

Jun 2008
    sounds like he's a very manly man. probably the manliest of all the people that work at the bike shop...

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by locobaylor
    sounds like he's a very manly man. probably the manliest of all the people that work at the bike shop...
    Yes I am.

C'mon you lazy slob. Post up the pics of the mods to this freakshow.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I like the friction shifter. Hot stuff.

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Yes I am.

C'mon you lazy slob. Post up the pics of the mods to this freakshow.
    the bike's at the shop, and i haven't been able to take pictures of it there yet. i'll probably take some tomorrow, after my ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I like the friction shifter. Hot stuff.
    This post made me go back and look again at the pics and yeah that's cool.

Tell me more how you set up that shifter on the bar in that spot. Is it easy to use in that location?

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG

Tell me more how you set up that shifter on the bar in that spot. Is it easy to use in that location?

I had one of these bikes back in the day. The shifters came as stock equipment and iirc, they were Suntour's answer to Shimano's STI shifting system. They worked OK in one direction, but were hard to use in the other direction... I don't recall which way at the moment.

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

I'd buy it....

locobaylor,

if you ever want to sell the bike I'd buy it... well at least the frame, fork and stem.

How did the Neo-Moto's fit onto the 587 (700D) Araya RM-20's? Those were my favorite rim for many years...

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG

As Kirk said, they came stock on there, so I didn't have to set up anything at all. They just clamp around the bar. They worked great; they were easy to use, and were easy to understand and figure out. I only changed the handlebars over recently to some flat mtn bike bars simply because I couldn't brake going downhill through technical rocky sections as well as I would have liked with the drop bars. I now have a SRAM 7-speed grip shift on the flat bars, with an XTR rear der. A v-brake on the front makes a world of difference too. I'll post pics today sometime.

Kirk, I actually didn't mount the tires on the rims. Another guy at the shop did that for me, but he reassured me that the tires won't be coming off those rims anytime soon, unless it is intentional. I had to shave down some of the side-nobs on the rear Neo so it would stop rubbing the brake, so I'm hoping to get a Quasi soon to run on the rear.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm working on somewhat of a conversion and was considering Midge Bars for it.........but maybe I'll use some wide swept flat bars or those Titec H-bar knockoffs or something instead.

We'll see

mtbr member
    Nice bike loco. Just wanted to let you know yours is a '92 though. Here's the Tachyon in the 1992 GT catalog. The paintjob is called "Midnight Aurora."

IMG_2056.JPG

Jun 2008

Yep!

That is exactly how it looked before we stripped the monkey and made it the way it is now.

We still have all the parts to return it to all it's glory.