mtbr member
    Jan 2014

my new ride & your thoughts

greetings

warning: incoming wall of text. get comfy.

i am getting a new bike for the first time in a loooooong time & have settled on:

transition bandit 27.5 (blue)
    build kit 2 w/ Pike rct3 upgrade (black)
    gravity dropper
    spank spikes flat pedals (saw someone here highly recommend them & they come in orange - woot)

think that about rounds it out. i wavered a bit on the fork, but haven't seen a bad word about the Pike & the black looks super fresh.

i have traditionally ridden XC singletrack and firelanes (F U forest park!) but i've recently moved and my local trail is now sandy ridge - which is a freaking sweet trail, but my bike felt outclassed. or if not my bike, then me. either way, i felt like hi-fiving jesus every time i made it down hide & seek trail (rocky & rooty with a side of rocks & roots) so got the green-light from the bank (wife) and began my glorious search.

needless to say, i'm pretty freaking amped to ride this thing. i've read a little bit on these forums and some folks seem either jaded or just very used to all the modern tech. let me tell you, the improvements made to mt bikes since mine was new are staggering & while i get being handed something classed as "amazing and new" every fiscal year gets tiresome, i'm dancing around like a kid who has to pee in anticipation of the fine folks at the bike shop telling me it's ready.
    (& props to them -not sure if it's cool to call out shops- for helping me along the way. was originally looking at the covert but Brad steered me to the bandit even though it's cheaper...was more appropriate ride for me. well done sir!)

can't wait to post some pics. after viewing some of the bike pron on sites like this and pinkbike, am stoked to show off my new baby even if she won't be the $10k bling wonder bike, she looks like a freaking lambo aventador to me.

-cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Congrats on the new bike. I love my Bandit 26. Now, PICTURES!

Tactical Nightmare
    Nice inner ted! I am thinking that the Bandit will be about the perfect ride for Sandy Ridge! Good choice, and enjoy it! From a fellow Oregonian!
    "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    *2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    *1983 Schwinn Predator

CAMBr Trail Crew

my new ride & your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by dejock View Post
    Congrats on the new bike. Now, PICTURES!
    ^^^ Yeah, what he said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DDDonny View Post
    ^^^ Yeah, what he said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    finally, here she is:
    Name:  7233c0cd-973f-43da-80c4-1fd85d56a64d_zps87f4d040.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  111.0 KBName:  64e382c4-8b9b-4a6c-b80b-90cac08d7d69_zpsc0ab7f6d.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  117.8 KB

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks! Finally got tech support (wife) to hook up some photos.
    After just a few rides, all I can say is: holy cow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by inner ted View Post
    finally, here she is:
    Name:  7233c0cd-973f-43da-80c4-1fd85d56a64d_zps87f4d040.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  111.0 KB
    ::drool::

Looks awesome!

mtbr member
    Transition makes my favorite single pivot bikes. Beautiful and strong!
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7

mtbr member
    Congrats. Sweet new bike. I'm digging the color and enjoyed your banter. Keep posting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Nice inner ted! I am thinking that the Bandit will be about the perfect ride for Sandy Ridge! Good choice, and enjoy it! From a fellow Oregonian!
    update: you are spot on sir! a handful of rides at sandy ridge and i'm only beginning to appreciate how awesome this bike is. that it's abilities far exceed my own is but a carrot to be dangled.

it's taken some getting used to (& i'm still not) the "new" mt. biking - both machines & trails. more speed always seems to be the solution. even when choppy / rocky / rooty etc. - i just can't always convince my cojones of that .

ruling so far: this bike rocks socks & i wanna go ride
    New Bike Tech: It's almost like cheating. Really awesome cheating.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    " i'm dancing around like a kid who has to pee in anticipation of the fine folks at the bike shop telling me it's ready. "

Ha ha ha ha!!! I hope you didn't pee yourself.

Glad you like the new bike. You'll find as you ride more, the bike will allow you to ride stuff you never even considered. MTB's have come a long way in the last 10 years. I was in your same position 3 years ago.
    The Truth will set you free.

FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
    Sep 2008
    Nice bike. I'm in love with my new Bandit 27.5. I find that it's extremely capable. It will charge the run stuff, but still loves to get thrown around. And that fact that it didn't cost a million dollars is pretty cool as well. Here is mine.

my new ride & your thoughts-bandit-1.jpg
    DON'T EXTINGUISH THE STOKE.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I almost went with the red - looks real sharp. wish i had the $$ & legs for 1x - looks boss.

from the old hardtail I'm used to, this thing is bomb-proof. the trail that used to have me nervously picking my way down is now just fun as I mow over everything. but like you say its still very nimble / flick-able & I'm having a blast using the suspension to help kick me off every little lip or (small) table top.

now I just need to progress to the bigger stuff.

mtbr member
    I like the blue with a hint of orange. My new ride will be orange&black with a hint of blue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I was reading your other thread and now wonder if I should have got the Float X instead of the CTD - especially cause i'm larger. though I don't know if I ride aggressively enough to warrant the bigger shock. after about 10 rides, I still have about 1/8" left before my o ring comes off - but I stay pretty "wheels on the ground"

FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
    Sep 2008
    I feel that the Float X is a great upgrade for the Bandit, but I would also encourage you to just ride your bike for now. It sounds like you are trying to progress in the sport andseems best thing you can do is less worry about your equipment (provided it works) and try to find time to get out on the trail. Maybe even find a group of fast guys to ride with or a local shop that does weekly rides. Really this is the best way to get better.

You will know that you need to upgrade your shock when you start to feel that the front of your bike seems to want to "go" and your rear end seems to be lagging behind. The Pike that you have on your front end is an amazing fork, I would argue that it's the best in the industry right now. It should be fairly evident when the performance of your fork starts to out shine the performance of your rear shock. Even then there are more options (perhaps less expensive) than just buying a new shock. It would be worth checking out options from push, hippie tech, and avalanche to see if they could help you out.

Another upgrade that really helps a bike shine is a new set of light weight, stiff wheels. Wheels are immediately noticeable and really bring a bike to to life. But once again I would encourage you to enjoy what you got and upgrade as needed.
    DON'T EXTINGUISH THE STOKE.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm going to have & already have had a blast adjusting to what riding is like now & learning what this bike can do (which seems to be as much or more than what I'm willing to try).

It's so completely different riding now than on my old bike that it's difficult to pinpoint any particular component's performance. I nerded out like crazy researching what to buy. I took a bit of a leap investing more $ on the Pike, but every magazine, forum, website etc was going on and on about it. I have no idea really if it's worth it. I'm sure the fox would have felt awesome too. Maybe I just got caught up in the hype, but so far it seems awesome.

You mentioned new rims & that's the only real spot I feel is lacking. I see lots of people advocate priority of investing in better rims than other parts & I don't know if I agree.. in fact I'm sure I don't cause I took the opposite approach: Invest in the best fork out there - as I see it as being with the bike forever. Whereas the rims I assume will get tacoe'd one day.

I love this bike, but I have no desire to dump more bucks into it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Might want to check out light-bicycle.com. Generic carbon wheels from China that seem to be getting good reviews, and REALLY cheap compared to ENVEs.