Thread: My new Flux

mtbr member

My new Flux

Other than a few frame/wheelsize specific items I built this up with parts from the Turner XCE I traded in so the damage wasn't too bad.
    First impressions were very positive except I felt it didn't make climbing as easy as I had hoped; turns out I forgot to secure the conversion axle on the old King universal hub so it came loose and caused brake drag. Even with that I had a quick time on a very familliar trail and I'm looking forward to taking it out on some less troublesome rides this week. It handles small bumps better than my Tracer 275 and ended up 2.75 lbs lighter than that bike without any effort to build it light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new Flux-flux.jpg  

bump and grind
    Nice! Let us know your medium term impressions. I think this will be an all-day trail/endurance weapon. Cant wait for a test ride. Definitely a frontrunner for my "next" bike project.
    Turner Burner 650b, Knolly Endorphin, Turner RFX, Voodoo D-jab 650B
    ...so far...

mtbr member

My new Flux

No offence but from the looks of your set up the frame looks too small for you and possibly reason for your climbing problems. Just a thought, but to each there own for preferred sizing and set up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    given the minimum seatpost insertion requirements for your frame you either need a longer seatpost or a bigger bike. that frame is at least 1,5 numbers too small for you

mtbr member
    I'm 5'6" with 27" legs and the bike ergos feel great, I'm running a thompson post and the minimum insertion line is more than an inch under the top of the top tube so I'm confident with my choice of frame size, especially given my comfort with a 50mm stem installed. Time will tell but I was as quick on my test loop as with any of the 5 bikes I've used on that trail in the last year, dispite the rear wheel comming loose and creating brake drag, and my lack of familliarity with the brand new ride so the slow climb issue was attributable to my assembly error.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Mother of all spacers, remove about 1/2 or more of those spacers under the stem. It's a rough guess but I would bet you are well over the max for the fork.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    I'm 5'6" with 27" legs and the bike ergos feel great, I'm running a thompson post and the minimum insertion line is more than an inch under the top of the top tube so I'm confident with my choice of frame size, especially given my comfort with a 50mm stem installed. Time will tell but I was as quick on my test loop as with any of the 5 bikes I've used on that trail in the last year, dispite the rear wheel comming loose and creating brake drag, and my lack of familliarity with the brand new ride so the slow climb issue was attributable to my assembly error.
    What was your previous bike and the 5 you've used on the same trial? How's the Flux compare to any of them?
    The bike looks great.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    My previouse bike (Tracer 275) will be used for rougher, steeper trails and lift served trails while the Flux will be used for long range exploration and when I'm need to keep up with the faster kids on racer bikes. I've also ridden this trail on my old Tracer 29 which I've decided to sell, my 10 year old 5 spot now on loan to a freind, a freinds Ellsworth epiphany, a gary fisher steel hardtail and an old 6 pack prototype.

Flux v 275: first impression is that the 275 climbs at least as well as the flux but dosn't handle small bumps as well, 275 handles the big stuff better of course but the Flux is faster on the flats and gentle climbs.
    Tracer 29 handles the bumps better but the flux is better everywhere else.
    Epiphany similar to the flux on small bumps but wallowed when hammered by comparison.
    Old spot and 6 pack handle big bumpd better but are less compliant on the small stuff and don't climb as well.

mtbr member
    I bet the flux would climb much better if you lowered the stem - it does look like you could afford too.

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    My previouse bike (Tracer 275) will be used for rougher, steeper trails and lift served trails while the Flux will be used for long range exploration and when I'm need to keep up with the faster kids on racer bikes. I've also ridden this trail on my old Tracer 29 which I've decided to sell, my 10 year old 5 spot now on loan to a freind, a freinds Ellsworth epiphany, a gary fisher steel hardtail and an old 6 pack prototype.

Flux v 275: first impression is that the 275 climbs at least as well as the flux but dosn't handle small bumps as well, 275 handles the big stuff better of course but the Flux is faster on the flats and gentle climbs.
    Tracer 29 handles the bumps better but the flux is better everywhere else.
    Epiphany similar to the flux on small bumps but wallowed when hammered by comparison.
    Old spot and 6 pack handle big bumpd better but are less compliant on the small stuff and don't climb as well.
    Slowrider thanks. Seems your bikes were pretty much my range as well. I still have original 5Spot Horst-link and thinking to explore the 27.5 Turner realm to fill the gap between my hardtail and my 160mm Banshee Rune. I wonder if Flux pedals as peppy as the Rune.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...