mtbr member

My New Beasley!!! Picture Heavy!!!

I got my new Beasley SS this morning!!!

I went to the shop and built it. I pressed in my Silver King NoThreadset, put on a pair of new Black Oury grips, put Crank Brothers Candy pedals and a bottle cage on! I am really impressed with it. When I get to ride, I will post a full ride report. I dont know how long that will be, its pretty cold, and I'm out of comission due to a concussion As always, I went pretty trigger happy with my camera. This time it was with my new Sony DSC-H10 camera! Bike weighed in at 26.56 LBS with the mod's that I made.

Enjoy!

Yes, framesavers are a shiesty way to mount my headtube badge...but they got the job done!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    what size frame is that? looks killer! looks alot better here then on haro's website.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedupderby
    what size frame is that? looks killer! looks alot better here then on haro's website.
    It is an 18. The 18 comes with a 100mm stem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The bike looks good. Looking forward to your reports. Maybe if you stop hitting your head against a brick wall you won't have concussions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    The bike looks good. Looking forward to your reports. Maybe if you stop hitting your head against a brick wall you won't have concussions?
    Yea I guess I should stop that....

Seriously though, I hit snow...bad ski accident. East Coast snow is hard.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    this thing is steel right? also, I couldnt find any geo #'s on haro's site...maybe I didnt look long enough, just wondering what the #'s look like.

mtbr member
    Yes, the frame and fork are 4130 steel

Heres the link to the geometry, if you need any other measurements, I am happy to help, just tell me what you need!

http://harobikes.com/mtb/geo5.html

mtbr member
    Nice - when you get out on the trails with it, bring an allen wrench for the stem bolts. You might find the Mary Bars more to your liking with them tilted down a bit more towards the rear hub. Just a suggestion.

Enjoy The Beas to the fullest!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Nice - when you get out on the trails with it, bring an allen wrench for the stem bolts. You might find the Mary Bars more to your liking with them tilted down a bit more towards the rear hub. Just a suggestion.

Enjoy The Beas to the fullest!!!
    Thanks MMcG, I've never ridden the mary bars before, and no one I know rides them either. Thats a great tip! I always carry a multi tool, so now all I need is the snow to melt...

mtbr member
    Got two more pics for everyone, the BB height, the bottom of the shell is about 11 3/8'':

Close-up

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    do both haro frames have an ebb? or just the SS?

mtbr member
    The Beasley 1x9 has a regular bottom bracket shell.

mtbr member
    The SS can be geared though. All you need is a wheel, cassette, and der. hanger from Haro, I may go 1x9 in the future.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    I got my new Beasley SS this morning!!!
    That "black gold" colour is stunning up close!

Is it me or the chainline a bit off? It seems like the plane of the rear cog is very slightly skewed to the right (the upper portion in the pic). Or it could be just distortion from your H-10

I envy you...
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Reformed car junkie
    Sep 2004
    Looks really nice. Glad to see a production frame in the 650 size.

Could you snap a picture of the Chainstay/bb area. Intrested to see the tire clearance they built in.

Thanks and enjoy. East coast snow is hard.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel
    That "black gold" colour is stunning up close!

Is it me or the chainline a bit off? It seems like the plane of the rear cog is very slightly skewed to the right (the upper portion in the pic). Or it could be just distortion from your H-10

I envy you...
    brand new chains are always a little bent, giving the illusion of being not dialed. chainline looks fine to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandmanLJS

Could you snap a picture of the Chainstay/bb area. Intrested to see the tire clearance they built in.

Sure thing...I'll try to get one!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    how does it ride? you like it?

mtbr member
    how does it ride? you like it?
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    When I get to ride, I will post a full ride report. I dont know how long that will be, its pretty cold, and I'm out of comission due to a concussion

Ski accident on Dec. 20.

Dr. appointment on the 9th will hopefully ok me to ride.

Even if I was ok, we got 4 inches of snow to add to the 4, and about a quarter inch of ice yesterday. All of my favorite trails are completely covered with snow.

I have only rode it from the shop to my car, and around my house a few times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandmanLJS

I assumed that you wanted to see clearance...if you want more pics, I will take 'em!

mtbr member
    I took the Beasley for its maiden voyage this morning.

Conditions: Overcast, 27 degrees F, ground frozen.

The ride:

The Beasley immediately instills a sense of confidence and stability. On my first ride on a single speed for a long time, I had a great ride. The bike is very responsive, and has a great feel with the trail. The bike is great and needs no modifications out of the box to be a great ride. The 33/18 chain ring and cassette is perfect for the Western Pennsylvania riding that I do. The geometry is great, all of the angles (HT, ST) are great together for a good climbing and descending rigid single speed. On the first trail of the day I started on a rocky technical downhill and was surprised by the ride of the steel, and how comfortable it really is. After the descent I turned onto another trail to see how she climbed. I was very pleasantly surprised by the ease of climbing on this bike. The gear ratio was great, not too hard for climbing, but the bike is like a mountain goat, it just keeps going and going up the hills. I want to give kudos to Haro for making a great 650b rigid single speed, and making 650b more available to the masses.

Parts Spec:
    Mary Bars: Love them, after my ride today I have completely forgot about the doubt that I originally had about these bars. They allow you to sit up and prevent back injury from being slouched down to reach low bars.

Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.3: A great tire, great grip, didn’t wash out or loose traction on the permafrost ground once.

Pivot Hubs: Ok hubs, this is one part of the Beasley that I could see replacing. The Rear hub has quite a bit of free hub lag. When I am transitioning from pedal strokes, there is a noticeable pause in the free hub. Maybe it’s the fact that I have been spoiled with nice hubs for a while, but there is definitely some lag.

Coming up the asphalt hill to get back to my car, the EBB slipped and the chain lost all tension. This wasn’t a big deal; I just readjusted it when I got home. I guess during my initial set-up I didn’t put enough torque on the bolts. If the EBB slips again, I am going to try anti-seize, then if that does not work, I may go for the Bushnell.

Sorry for the lack of pics, I got 20 min into the ride and said “sh*t…I forgot my camera.”

Ovaries on the Outside
    When you sell it I might be interested.

Disabled Vet
    I just posted in the Haro forum asking if anybody had one yet,I shoulda looked here first!

That's a great looking bike,man,mad props and congrads!

Great ride report,gives us food for thought (tho thought's all I got to spend for now )
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Man I want one of these so bad. Funny thing is I have an 07 Rush too. This would be a perfect low maintenance, go ride for an hour type bike.

It reminds me of my old 1998 Haro Escape (my first mountain bike). It was black, fully rigid, and 4130 crmo. Its what got me into mountain biking in the first place.

I can't get over the awesome paint job on this bike...one of the best schemes I have ever seen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squads
    Man I want one of these so bad. Funny thing is I have an 07 Rush too. This would be a perfect low maintenance, go ride for an hour type bike.

I can't get over the awesome paint job on this bike...one of the best schemes I have ever seen.
    Nice! I love my Rush! Not too much is left stock on that thing.

The Beasley paint was a huge turn on when they were brought out...i said "I gotta get one."