mtbr member
    Mar 2010

My first 650b ride.....(big grin)

I just picked up my Jamis Nemesis 650b yesterday and this morning was my first ride.
    Background, I have never rode a 29'r, I have spent the past 25+ years on 26 in bikes. I ride rode, MTB, cross, etc etc. Current MTB bikes are a Spec Epic Expert, 26, 92 Klein Attitude SS. Our local trails are rocky, interrupted by patches of cheat grass and sagebrush but they are close. I did not ride hard as I have a cross race Sunday, the ride up was just a gravel road so not a lot of input. Downhill on the single track I started to notice a few things, smoother rolling out of the corners, faster out of the corners and getting up to speed, a more "comfortable" ride. I was able to set up corners just like I would on my Epic, just a lot smoother entrance into the corner, not as twitchy? On the few climbs I did, not pushing very hard for all I rode it might as well have been my 26'r I was riding, felt the same, I never noticed the bigger tires other than rolling over the rocks a bit better.

My thoughts afterwards, I need a longer, harder ride to be sure, plus dial in the bike settings a bit more, but I might be hooked on the 650b.

Anyone want to buy a Spec Epic?

mtbr member
    pssssssssst........many specialized Epics are convertible to 650b.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    pssssssssst........many specialized Epics are convertible to 650b.

........not mine.....

Arpee
    Dec 2009
    Just converted my Epic Comp 09 to 650b. mann it feels great when i hit the trail. You will notice it instantly how smooth the ride is of your favorite trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yes, welcome, the water is fine. With more saddle time, you'll pick up on more of the b goodness. After a days riding, you'll start getting the whole picture. You'll feel less beat from the bike even though you'll have carried more momentum and more aggression in tougher sections.

My Marin Mt. Vision conversion had a buddy grinin' the other day. He had an older ?, 160mm travel with 2.4's.
    He was liking the climbing efficiency and the smooth 120mm travel. He thought his 2.4's should be something like the b's, especially with the 160 travel. Not so much.

He said the MV had an ideal feel. Controlled, yet quick. Smooth, without being soft. Something good for all day.
    '10 Marin MountVision 650b conversion

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Most of us would have predicted that you would like it - glad you did. The 650 works great for xc application and like others, I wish my bikes were convertible but I thought the Epics had enough clearance. Maybe a different casing and nob height selection?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    The 650 works great for xc application and like others, I wish my bikes were convertible but I thought the Epics had enough clearance. Maybe a different casing and nob height selection?
    No doubt XC 2.0 and under will come. It wouldn't be far off from that point that 650b/27.5 will be dropped from model names. You may just see 26er used in the model to determine little ppl sizing.

By the time I sell my conversion, the buyer will think it's a well used late model as it's not one of those early 650b or 275 designated models. D'oh!
    '10 Marin MountVision 650b conversion

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by socalscott View Post
    No doubt XC 2.0 and under will come. It wouldn't be far off from that point that 650b/27.5 will be dropped from model names. You may just see 26er used in the model to determine little ppl sizing.

By the time I sell my conversion, the buyer will think it's a well used late model as it's not one of those early 650b or 275 designated models. D'oh!

You could be right, the mkt is emerging quickly for the 27.5 trail/am segment and 29r sales have eclipsed the 26r in xc sales. I think the 650b/27.5 would be able to compete for a chunk of the 29r xc mkt if mfg's and sellers stop looking at the 29r as the end all for xc. I do understand the reluctance to increase production and inventory but we can reward those that take the risk/expense. There here to stay so bring on the xc's!