mtbr member
    Dec 2008

My 650 experience and who needs a New Firebird 27.5 Frame in Medium

I race/ride a Carbon 429 daily, mostly technical rocky stuff in Austin. Was looking for fun bike to ride when not training, more relaxed riding position and extra travel. Pulled the trigger on a Firebird 27.5 as I had lusted after the Firebird for awhile, and having scored a deal on some 650 Enves, it was time to take the plunge.

It took me one test ride to figure out this was too much bike for my intended use. I thought I would be ok cruising on a AM/Freeride bike, but it's not the case. If I were riding Moab, Sedona, etc. all the time, this would be the bike to have, but for Austin trails it's not the perfect match. There just aren't enough big downhills, and drops to necessitate having a bike like the firebird. I do like the feel of the 650 wheel, and have decided to swap out frames and go with a Burner. Having ridden a Sultan from 2008-last year, I think the Burner will offer a better balance for Austin trails.

It may be coming off a bike like the 429C, that makes the Firebird seem like such a dramatic change. That's my experience thus far and will have a report on the Burner soon. Now who needs a frame????

Pivot firebird 27.5 frame. Med Blk Ano with angle set. One Test Ride. - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the comments, and great deal on the frame!
    Too bad it's not a Small

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah, that's why I haven't been looking at many 650Bs here. Unless you're aggressively riding CP or RPR difficult sections, it's overkill. I'm tempted by a Norco Sight or SC Solo, though.

Edit: Turner looks like a sweet bike. Should be nice on some of the rougher stuff around here.
    Last edited by fontarin; 06-13-2013 at 10:41 AM.

usually cranky
    id check out the hdr too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    My Burner will be done this weekend... will post some thoughts after I get a chance to shake it down.

I'm hoping this bike will be a good complement to my 429C, and I miss owning a Turner as I like US made stuff.

Also, new link with pics and a killer price on the Firebird Frame.

2013 Pivot Firebird 27.5 Med Blk Ano DHX Ridden Once - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Got a first ride in on the Burner... Built up with XX1, Enve AM's, Fox F34 160mm...

Awesome trail bike. Climbs like my old Sultan, handles and descends better. Super plush, and solid, like a Turner should be. Not a race bike, but will be the bike of choice when going out to have some fun. Great match for Austin's rocky / hilly terrain.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    After your comments on the Bird I'm a bit surprised you hung a 160mm fork on the Burner. That's gonna have the HA between 66 and 66.5 degrees which is pretty slack in my book. For kick and giggles you might want to try it @ 150 or even 140. Different air spring plate I think is what's needed.

BTW is that's a 2013 Fox fork which have had many complaints Fox will upgrade it to 2014 specs (or sell you the parts) for a very reasonable price. The 14 is supposed to be much improved.