DSC_0013 by cursor718, on Flickr

after w/ stans crest - thanks pro bike supply
    tires are kenda nevegal 2.35 front and 2.1 rear

DSC_0020 by cursor718, on Flickr

DSC_0021 by cursor718, on Flickr

DSC_0023 by cursor718, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    That looks nice. Seems to have lots of room.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    thanks. definitely a lot more clearance than i thought it would have.

i haven't ridden it yet except in front of the house on the street and it definitely feels taller. can't wait to get it on the dirt.

banned
    Mar 2004
    The only problem I see is a little slower steering and not as stable since the COG (center of gravity) is about .75 inches taller now. Be interested to see how it handles.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    so i finally took it out for a short ride...

first, i'm coming from 2.2 racing ralphs' front/rear when it was 26" so i should have picked up the same tires instead of the 2.35 nevegals in front and 2.1 in the rear for a better comparison. i did shop for 29ers but looking at a small frame, it just didn't feel right. i looked at the BMC team elite and i think it was the salsa spearfish and the usual trek and specialized products. didn't like any of them.

anyway, from my house, it is about a 2 mile uphill ride on the road to the trail. i definitely felt taller and really noticed the bigger 2.35 tires up front. i didn't notice a difference in the ride and almost questioned if it was worth the change to 650b.

once i hit the dirt....WOW...what a difference. i was on a pretty technical single track with packed dirt with random rodent/snake holes throughout the trail with some areas on slick rock/boulder. i used to have to lift the front wheel slightly to go over holes, up through the rocky section or when ruts cross the trail. but now, i felt it just rolled over everything. it was smoother and less work.

on the downhill, it did feel it reacted a bit slower but at the same time, i didn't feel i had to avoid all the holes, ruts and rocks i used to because of the smooth rollover. the downhill is where i felt the higher center of gravity as well. the best way to describe it is if your 26" bike is like standing on the lowest step on a ladder, 650b feels like i'm on the 2nd or 3rd step on a 6 step ladder. not bad enough to throw you off balance but noticeable.

overall, i'm really happy with the change and feel like the epic works great with 650b. can't wait to do more rides this weekend.
    '10 specialized epic comp carbon - 650b

blet drive
    nice work... keep it up
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Nice. I'm about to get it on as well. 2009 Epic Expert Carbon, 650b Flows, Ralphs and a new Rock Shox 650b Revelation. Very excited to get this bike built and on the trails.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Misfit DiSSent SS
    Sette Razzo

mtbr member
    May 2011
    thanks junglekid5!

GC...you wont be disappointed. it gets better every time i ride it. make sure you post up a pic of yours when you're done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Here's the before...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my '10 specialized epic comp carbon 650b-epic.jpg  

my '10 specialized epic comp carbon 650b-650b-flows.jpg  

Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Misfit DiSSent SS
    Sette Razzo

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I wish it was so easy to convert a '10 Epic Expert. The SID fork it comes with makes it a bit more annoying to do.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    nice starting point GC..

yeah, converting to 650b was the only time i was happy i didn't get the expert (more like couldn't afford LOL). my buddy bought an expert the same time i bought my comp.
    (day i brought her home with reflectors, cheapo platforms, dork disc.....etc)

carbon by cursor718, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So, i'm trying to figure out how the Specialized Epic range fits together.

anyone willing to assist a bit, looking at the 2010 2011 and 2012 models.
    including the S-works.

G

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelza View Post
    So, i'm trying to figure out how the Specialized Epic range fits together.

anyone willing to assist a bit, looking at the 2010 2011 and 2012 models.
    including the S-works.

G
    I am not sure exactly what you are asking. I can tell you that the best fit for 650b is any 2010 Epic with an alloy rear triangle (basically any Epic but the S works which does not fit 650b). The 2010 has tons of room and will fit any currently available 650b tire with room to spare. For 2011 and 2012 all models fit 650b in the back, but it is tight and you likely cannot fit any of the larger tires like a Nevegal 2.3, Neo 2.3 or Wolverine 2.2. You may also want to check out my thread here which has info and pics of various years.

What year Specialized Epics fit 650b? - Mtbr Forums
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    LJS.

thanks for the information. very valuable. interesting about what you saying about the 2011/2012, pity, would have loved a newer frame.

when I mentioned: how the range fits together. I understand the comp is the value model, followed towards the top of the line s-works.

G

mtbr member
    May 2011
    LJS has a lot of information in his thread if you want to convert an epic. for carbon, comp is the lower model, then expert and s-works is at the top. both expert and s-works use a rock shox fork so it might not take 650b.

my bike is pretty much stock except for stem, bars and seatpost. all i did was swap the wheels with no other adjustments.

let me know if you have any other questions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    LJS.

thanks for the information. very valuable. interesting about what you saying about the 2011/2012, pity, would have loved a newer frame.

when I mentioned: how the range fits together. I understand the comp is the value model, followed towards the top of the line s-works.

G
    The models have changed slightly over the years, but it basically looks like this:

Epic
    Epic Comp
    Epic Expert
    Epic Marathon
    Epic S Works

Comp and Expert are full alloy models, and each has a carbon version with a carbon front triangle with rear alloy triangles. Components are basically the same between a carbon and alloy of the same designation. Marathon has a carbon front and alloy rear and I think most, if not all of the s works parts. The carbon front triangle may also be a higher end carbon like the s works.

Fox and Specialized Future Shocks fit 650b. The Expert models have the SID which does not fit. But it is easy enough to sell the SID and get something that fits.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hi LJS

thanks, exactly what I was looking for.

And basically you're saying stick to 2010.
    for 2011/2012 the back is fine? problem is with the front?

G

Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    The models have changed slightly over the years, but it basically looks like this:

Epic
    Epic Comp
    Epic Expert
    Epic Marathon
    Epic S Works

Comp and Expert are full alloy models, and each has a carbon version with a carbon front triangle with rear alloy triangles. Components are basically the same between a carbon and alloy of the same designation. Marathon has a carbon front and alloy rear and I think most, if not all of the s works parts. The carbon front triangle may also be a higher end carbon like the s works.

Fox and Specialized Future Shocks fit 650b. The Expert models have the SID which does not fit. But it is easy enough to sell the SID and get something that fits.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hi LJS

thanks, exactly what I was looking for.

And basically you're saying stick to 2010.
    for 2011/2012 the back is fine? problem is with the front?

G
    2011/2012 the back fits, but is tighter than the 2010. For all years the front depends on what fork you get. If it is a Fox or Specialized fork then it will fit.

2010 is best if you want to be able to run any available tire in the rear.

2011/2012 is best if you want an S Works, because the 2010 S Works won't fit 650b in the back but 2011/2012 will.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Question around the Fork and Shock,

Ok shock is a special Specialized shock, no explanation needed there.

forks: whats different, I'm guessing you can always pull the Specialized fork and replace with a Fox, all standard mounting anyhow.

ok, so: options:

2010 epic, comp, Marathon, but skip S Works
    2011/2012 rather go S Works, (although the others will work back => tighter, might need a fork change)

You say tighter in rear, at what point are we saying bad idea, 2.35? or even with 2.2's on ZTR Crests.

G

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Question around the Fork and Shock,

Ok shock is a special Specialized shock, no explanation needed there.

forks: whats different, I'm guessing you can always pull the Specialized fork and replace with a Fox, all standard mounting anyhow.

ok, so: options:

2010 epic, comp, Marathon, but skip S Works
    2011/2012 rather go S Works, (although the others will work back => tighter, might need a fork change)

You say tighter in rear, at what point are we saying bad idea, 2.35? or even with 2.2's on ZTR Crests.

G
    You can use the Specialized fork, it just doesn't have as much room as a Fox. Some models came with a SID and that won't work at all.

I have never test fitted a 2011/2012 myself. All the pics I have seen are with a Racing Ralph 2.25 and it looks kind of tight. So you might be able to fit a 2.3 Neo because its not very tall. But I don't think you are going to be able to fit a 2.3 Nevegal or 2.2 Wolverine in back and certainly not the massive tires that are coming out like the Nobby Nic or Mega Moto.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Personally, I'd only worry about the rear, chances are that whatever model you get will have a 9mm qr fork anyway, sell the fork and upgrade to a 15mm model, the wheelset you buy will likely be convertible to 15mm and that does allot to enhance the ride.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    Personally, I'd only worry about the rear, chances are that whatever model you get will have a 9mm qr fork anyway, sell the fork and upgrade to a 15mm model, the wheelset you buy will likely be convertible to 15mm and that does allot to enhance the ride.
    This right here.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Misfit DiSSent SS
    Sette Razzo

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Top Fuel

Any thoughts on converting a 2010 Trek Top Fuel? I have a Fox float G2 model with a slight off set (not exactly sure how much).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentPhatrick View Post
    Any thoughts on converting a 2010 Trek Top Fuel? I have a Fox float G2 model with a slight off set (not exactly sure how much).
    Not enough room on the seat stay arch. I have a 650B rear wheel and it isn't even close to fitting. I was bummed. I'm thinking of going with a Santa Cruz XCc which will convert easily. I'm will still continue to make the downtube guards for the Top Fuel and Fuel EX. I may keep it as a back up frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I missed the reference to LJS thread, where is this?

G

Quote Originally Posted by cursor718 View Post
    LJS has a lot of information in his thread if you want to convert an epic. for carbon, comp is the lower model, then expert and s-works is at the top. both expert and s-works use a rock shox fork so it might not take 650b.

my bike is pretty much stock except for stem, bars and seatpost. all i did was swap the wheels with no other adjustments.

let me know if you have any other questions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast