SuperInstigator

Mountain Cycle Rumble gone raw and 650B Build Log

Good evening, or morning, or afternoon, gentlemen and ladies. It's 5 o'clock somewhere and that somewhere is here. Actually it's 5:43. Whatever.

I've been riding a Mountain Cycle Rumble with 26" wheels, 2.4 front/2.2 rear tires, 1x9 drivetrain, a Rockshox Pike, and a BMX saddle and seatpost. It's a very fun bike to go downhill on, but it is horrendous for any sort of uphills. The pedaling position sucks, the weight sucks (over 5 pounds for the front wheel, tire, and brake rotor alone), and the gearing sucks. So, I'm on a mission to make this bike suck less, a process which includes a wheel size change to 650B. I was originally going to go with 29" wheels, but I do not really want the increase in bottom bracket height. I will also be building new wheels with silver Velocity Blunt 35 rims, installing a more appropriate saddle and seatpost, wider bars, and a 2x9 drivetrain. Color matching wasn't a big priority here, but I think it will actually come together kind of nicely with silver dominating.

The first order of business was to raw the frame. I used aircraft paint stripper along with steel woold and various scrapers/tiny screwdrivers. This process sucked. It took about 5-6 hours to get all of the paint out of the crevices and welds. 90% of the paint came off painlessly, but the other 10% took twice as long. To be honest, I didn't even get all of it off. When done, I hit it with some finer steel wool and some Mother's chrome polish. I'm happy with it.

Before

After

I'm getting a whole bunch of parts soon, so more to come...
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Looks awesome. 650b should give you nice tire clearance in the rear too to go as big as you want if so desired.
    The raw looks awesome. Just don't what I did... I rawed my Rumble this winter and, given the lengthy rainy Spring we've had here in MN, I had too many nights in front of the TV. I decided to get out the 1500 grit wet sandpaper and really put some mirror finish on it. I don't know how many hours I spent over a few nights doing the main tubes, but they look great,,,just don't match up to the duller little crevices, etc. so it looks a little odd and there is no way in heck I'm going to spend the countless hours needed to get at all the tiny areas to a mirror polish. So, my advice, stop where you're at on the polishing. looks awesome, and the Mothers holds a shine for a long time anyway.

Wrench
    You need a friend with a sandblaster.

Looking forward to the report, though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    It looks nice, but that is a lot of suck to overcome
    No suck possible with this frame. Most versatile design ever and early models built in Portland OR. Paint daisies on it and it would still be awesome. If the suck you were referring to was the process of getting a raw frame, agree. Although, those welds do deserve to be seen.

SuperInstigator
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    It looks nice, but that is a lot of suck to overcome
    Hmm, well all of the problems I had with the old build will be remedied in this one, if that's what you mean. Or do you mean that the frame itself sucks? edit: after re-reading my post I realize that I said "suck" many times. I get it now.

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    You need a friend with a sandblaster.

Looking forward to the report, though.
    Yes I definitely do. If I were to do this again I'd get it blasted for however much it would cost. I didn't realize how long this process would be. My fingers are raw from the steel wool.

Thanks for the positive responses friends!

SuperInstigator
    Everything's done except for installing the front derailleur, running the cable and housing and installing the chain. Oh, and I'm running an SLX front brake and 180mm rotor but I only have an Avid post mount adapter. I'm going to grind down the Avid adapter so that I can run a 180mm rotor. Because cheap. Then deciding whether or not I want to run a bashguard with the 22/32. The bottom bracket is so high I do not see needing one. She should be done tomorrow! Pics may have to wait if I'm busy riding...

SuperInstigator
    All done!

Spec list for anyone interested:

Frame: Mountain Cycle Rumble 17" w/ extended dropouts
    Fork: Manitou Tower Pro
    Front wheel: Velocity Blunt 35 650b/DT Swiss 14 gauge spokes/XT 15mm T/A hub
    Rear wheel: Velocity Blunt 35 650b/DT Swiss 14 gauge spokes/SLX hub
    Crankset: Shimano 32/22 10 speed sans big ring. Not sure what level.
    Pedals: Odyssey Trailmix
    Chain: Shimano 10 speed HG50
    Cassette: SRAM PG950 11-32 9 speed
    Rear derailleur: SRAM X7 short cage 9 speed
    Front derailleur: Shimano SLX 2-speed
    Front shifter: X7 2-speed
    Rear shifter: X9 9-speed
    Headset: Chris King
    Stem: Avenir 90mm something
    Bars: Ritchey Comp 2x
    Front brake: SLX w/180mm rotor
    Rear brake: Avid BB7/SpeedDial 7 w/180mm rotor
    Tires: Maxxis Ardent 2.25
    Seatpost: Kalloy
    Saddle: off my my stock Giant Defy road bike

Mountain Cycle Rumble gone raw and 650B Build Log-z9w914th.jpg

Mountain Cycle Rumble gone raw and 650B Build Log-jwjlz8ah.jpg

SuperInstigator
    She rides beautifully. Extremely stable at speed, quiet, and a blast. The ride of the bike is completely different than it was with the 26" dropouts and wheels. The longer chainstays will take some getting used to and I'm having a little trouble with the bike being nose heavy (edit: I should clarify...the bike is not nose heavy, but for some reason I am overcompensating when leveling out in a bunnyhop) when hopping over obstacles. I will just need to adjust.

The Tower Pro fork is incredible. I'm coming from a Pike 426 which wasn't a bad coil sprung fork by my estimation, but the Tower Pro just blows it away. It can be tuned soft enough to soak up the smallest twigs. It completely changes how I can ride.

The 2x9 drivetrain works perfectly. No trouble with 10-speed chain on 9 speed cassette. I haven't missed the bashguard yet.

The Maxxis Ardent 2.25 tires HOOK. They seriously grip and during my first ride, I was actually thrown off balance a few times because I expected the tires to slide, but they didn't.

I really like the wide bars, but I might need a 100mm stem instead of a 90mm.

I'm happy.

SuperInstigator
    Thank you! I love the Ardents so far, yes. I think they blow away the Specialized Captains I was using.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sweet build. Good job.