Wrench

More Praise for my B'd BlurXCc

Hello again,

Another weekend, another race! This time the XC race at Solavaca Ranch in Glenrose, TX. Fantastic race conditions on a rocky, technical, fast 7.5 mile course. I raced Cat 2, which put in two laps.

I can say with confidence that my XCc is still the best bike frame I've ridden. The XT drivetrain has been flawless and the 650b wheelsize has been fantastic for tight Texas single track through the trees as well as the technical rocky up and downhill climbs that the hill country is known for.

I placed 2nd in my field of 11 competitors, averaging roughly 12.8 miles per hour on the course.

I have plenty more races ahead of me this year, since I'm attempting to move up to Cat 1 by next season. I believe this bike can easily take me there if I've got the legs for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hey, hope to see you at Pace Bend in 10 days!

mtbr member

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Hey, hope to see you at Pace Bend in 10 days!
    I hope to make it out as well!

mtbr member
    Nice, FNFAL are you in the Dallas area by chance, on Dorba forums?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    Nice, FNFAL are you in the Dallas area by chance, on Dorba forums?
    Nope, I'm down in Austin right now. Although I hear Dallas has a lot of really great trails!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    what wheels and tires are you running? I have an XCc and want to size up to 27.5 also...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    What is the weight of your bike? I'm also in the process of converting my XCc to 650b.

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by n2b8tor View Post
    What is the weight of your bike? I'm also in the process of converting my XCc to 650b.
    Hello,

My weight came out to 23.5 pounds with pedals ready to rock. I used a full Shimano XT drivetrain with American Classic hubs on Crest rims. I didn't go weight weenie, but it came out fairly light.

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    what wheels and tires are you running? I have an XCc and want to size up to 27.5 also...
    I'm running Stans Crest on American Classic with DT Swiss Champion spokes. Tires are Racing Ralph up front and Crossmark in the rear. Racing Ralph - 2.2 and Crossmark - 2.1.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hey thanks, I love the crossmark, didn't know it came in 650b.

Wrench
    hey thanks, I love the crossmark, didn't know it came in 650b.
    They sure do. BTI currently has them in shop. Not sure about QBP though. Check with your local bike shop, see who their distributors are and check!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    23.5 lbs, thats awesome. My XCc was 22lbs with 26er with RS sid, American classic on Crest ztr podium. now with 650B I might be 25lbs. :-( I'm running Fox talas 32, Crest ztr with Neo-moto pacenti, also have a gravity dropper. I'll take pics when I have it up and running.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    They sure do. BTI currently has them in shop. Not sure about QBP though. Check with your local bike shop, see who their distributors are and check!
    What is BTI? Sorry...

mtbr member
    What is BTI? Sorry...
    BTI (Bicycle technologies International) is a large bicycle part supply distrubutor like QBP (AKA... Quality Bike Products). Hawley is another.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Nice set up. What fox fork is that ? sorry can't tell if it's the 34/650 or not.

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstick View Post
    Nice set up. What fox fork is that ? sorry can't tell if it's the 34/650 or not.
    It's a Fox CTD 100mm 26" fork from 2013.

mtbr member
    Any advice on my dilemma? Last year I was running the same frame as you with Reynolds MTN C wheels (16mm internal width) and loved the ride. Got a 2013 frame (warranty) with the 12mm rear end and a new Fox 120 rlc fork with 15mm axle.

1) Relace my Reynolds carbon wheel set with hubs to fit the new axle sizes.

2) Leave the Reynolds wheels on the GF's bike and get some new 27.5 carbon wheels next year (running Crest's in the mean time).

I have no issues with 26" wheels. Curious if I am going to notice the $1500 price difference between new wheels and a relace.

Wrench
    That's kind of a personal dilemma, to be honest. I'm a racer on a budget, and my Crests are doing great so far. I'm not looking to upgrade for a while.

My question to you is how will your performance be affected if you don't have 650b on your bike for a while? Are you currently racing towards a goal?

Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    Any advice on my dilemma? Last year I was running the same frame as you with Reynolds MTN C wheels (16mm internal width) and loved the ride. Got a 2013 frame (warranty) with the 12mm rear end and a new Fox 120 rlc fork with 15mm axle.

1) Relace my Reynolds carbon wheel set with hubs to fit the new axle sizes.

2) Leave the Reynolds wheels on the GF's bike and get some new 27.5 carbon wheels next year (running Crest's in the mean time).

I have no issues with 26" wheels. Curious if I am going to notice the $1500 price difference between new wheels and a relace.

mtbr member
    Truthfully, Last spring I went from a $600 HT that would get 6 or so good rides in a year to getting my Blur XCc and riding 4 or 5 times a week and not feeling like I was riding as much as I would like. Basically, I loved riding again for the first time in 10 years or so. I know a few others have swapped to 27.5 wheels on the XCc and have loved it and it's really got me thinking. New carbon rims may not be in the cards so one dilemma is 26" carbon rims versus 27.5" aluminum rims. Realistically, I should put the computer down and go ride but my knee still won't let me.

Mainly trying to decide if I should just relace the Reynolds and be happy or wait and do a conversion.