mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mojo SL Owners, Tell Me About it!?

I'm looking into making a 650b Mojo SL build. I've currently got a Trc 650b'd and 26" HD. Rocking the TRc 650b but prefer the DW link. SO I thought why not a 140mm SL DW-link 650b build. That will be lighter than a modified 650b HD.

You boys that have 650b'd your SL, tell me your experiences if you could...

Bottom bracket height and with which tires?
    Which tires do/dont fit in that rear triangle?
    How much shimming did you need to do?

Thanks boys and girls
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member

Hey itch, I just replied in your nobby nic thread with my stats, but I'll add here:
    As much as I've enjoyed my 650b SL, if I were in your shoes I'd be inclined to buy the conversion parts for the HD. Maybe swapping out chips, shock, fork, and wheels would be a pain if you'd like to have both setups ready to ride, but an HD140 will have fewer rear tire/travel limitations, and will be a lot stiffer. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, thanks for the suggestions. I was looking into the SL since it's lighter than the HD at 130sih travel after shimming for 650b. The HD is a heavy frame at over 6lbs at only 140mm. I think the rear chainstay area is pretty tight for 650b, about the same as the SL I'm guessing.

mtbr member

SL is definitely lighter.... By a pound, even a pound and a half or more in some cases, but it has less rear tire clearance than an HD. Either way makes for a fun bike.... The grass is always greener, I guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Finally got around to summarizing my experience converting my Mojo SL Special Blend to 650b.

Its a little long and includes some backstory, but may be of interest for those considering doing this themselves.

James' MTB Blog: Best of Both Worlds or Complete Hype? My 650b Experience So Far...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by quaestionis View Post
    Finally got around to summarizing my experience converting my Mojo SL Special Blend to 650b.

Its a little long and includes some backstory, but may be of interest for those considering doing this themselves.

James' MTB Blog: Best of Both Worlds or Complete Hype? My 650b Experience So Far...
    Excellent write up. That's exactly what I was looking for. If I did this, I'd go 26" rear. I like NN's on the rear with their large volume. And as you mentioned, there's no room for mistakes like out of true wheels with 650b on the rear of the SL's. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So 650B up front and something large volume like a Conti 2.4 Rubber Queen on the rear