mtbr member
    May 2008

Mojo HD 650 final verdict

It seems the reviews have been mixed. For those who have done this would you do it again? What would you compare it to. Was planning to build one this year but now I am back on the fence. Currently riding a Jet9Rdo as my XC bike and was going to use the 650b HD to replace an aging Knolly Trail/AM bike for Moab etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When i bought my HD, i went straight to the 650b when i built it up. I have since ridden it with some spare 26" wheels. Much prefer the the slightly bigger wheels since they seem to roll/grip better. I also prefer the slightly higher bottom bracket. Only thing i'd like to change is the swingarm clearance in the back end so that there is more tyre choice - a specific HD 650b back end would be good.
    I toyed with 29ers, Tallboy and Tallboy LTc and found that i didn't feel enamoured with them where i ride (Scotland). The rollability of the 29er tyres was instantly noticeable and great.
    Would i do the HD 650b again - yes and no. With the availablity of other 650b bikes now, i'd consider them all but i don't like the limited tyre choice with the existing HD swingarm. I appreciate it was not designed for 650 but it works but struggles with the more fuller-bodied 650b tyres.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grinder View Post
    When i bought my HD, i went straight to the 650b when i built it up. I have since ridden it with some spare 26" wheels. Much prefer the the slightly bigger wheels since they seem to roll/grip better. I also prefer the slightly higher bottom bracket. Only thing i'd like to change is the swingarm clearance in the back end so that there is more tyre choice - a specific HD 650b back end would be good.
    I toyed with 29ers, Tallboy and Tallboy LTc and found that i didn't feel enamoured with them where i ride (Scotland). The rollability of the 29er tyres was instantly noticeable and great.
    Would i do the HD 650b again - yes and no. With the availablity of other 650b bikes now, i'd consider them all but i don't like the limited tyre choice with the existing HD swingarm. I appreciate it was not designed for 650 but it works but struggles with the more fuller-bodied 650b tyres.
    Well said Grinder.

The new Banshee Rune 650b option although heavier than the HD would be my closest choice after the HD that I'd want. I like this "open source" non-patented suspension design, which very near DW-Link in effects, as much as DW-Link. Followed closely by the 650b VPP's from Intense and Santa Cruz, the Carbine Carbon, Tracer 275, and Bronson Carbon or aluminum. The VPP second generation used in these bikes is much closer to DW-Link quality than the prior designs in balancing compliance and pedaling efficiency. The Norco and KHS Horst Link 650b's look very well executed too. All these bikes have nearly identical geometry specs and BB height as the HD with 650b wheels, give or take an angle-set headset change in steering differences.

IMO, the size of the rear tire is not as important to handling as the width of the front tire. 2.3 for a rear, which the HD can easily clear, is plenty for nearly any DH situation. Why carry more rear tire weight with a bigger tire unless riding snow or deep sand? The rear wheel follows the front, and has more traction than the front due to the rearward rider weight balance when on the pedals. The front needs more cornering traction improvement for good balance, using bigger tires, wider rims, slacker fork angles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Derby, nice summary. However I have one small comment to make regarding rear tires -- for riding high-speed rocky trails, the real priority for me is having a large casing volume...i.e. tall sidewall height.

Yes, the actual footprint width is important too, esp when trails become more sandy late-season, but I've had to throw away a lot of rear tires over the years because the low sidewall height meant that in order to prevent big hits to the rim, I had to run higher pressures & compromise the handling/traction overall. I weigh 195 lbs btw.

So after spending time demo'ing a 26er Mojo HD last year, and taking a close look at 650b conversions, I've had to reject the HD as a candidate bike for this year. I've been down that road before i.e. owned frames that limited my ability to run a large volume rear tire. Never again. YMMV.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Derby, nice summary. However I have one small comment to make regarding rear tires -- for riding high-speed rocky trails, the real priority for me is having a large casing volume...i.e. tall sidewall height. Yes, the actual footprint width is important too, esp when trails become more sandy late-season, but I've had to throw away a lot of rear tires over the years because the low sidewall height meant that in order to prevent big hits to the rim, I had to run higher pressures & compromise the handling/traction overall. I weigh 195 lbs btw.So after spending time demo'ing a 26er Mojo HD last year, and taking a close look at 650b conversions, I've had to reject the HD as a candidate bike for this year. I've been down that road before i.e. owned frames that limited my ability to run a large volume rear tire. Never again. YMMV.
    Rear volume is a must. Have you found a front tire yet? HD SG with no transition knobs seems to be the way to go for what is out right now