Dr. Pepper drinker

Modifying Pike fork arch for a big 650b (photo of a 2.35 HD on Pike included)...

I feel like someone has to have tried this already but maybe not due to the lack of higher volume 650b tires available until recently. Search function on here and google aren't turning up anything.

Long story short I've got a 650b wheelset that I'm going to try on a Ragley Blue Pig with a Rockshox Pike, mostly just to try the size compared to the same bike with 26. I'm looking to get a feel for improved traction and roll over with 650b. I'm not all that interested in trying any of the smaller volume 650b tires (not enough different from a 2.4 Trail King 26er that I normally run on this bike) so I've got a Nobby Nic and Hans Dampf in 2.35 mounted up. Rear clearance is just fine with the NN, the HD up front on the Pike is tight though, the tire or rim must be 2mm or so out of round, I've got 2-3 mm clearance most the way around but get a slight buzz at one point. Even without this I'd like to see more clearance before I give it a go on trail. I typically ride in very dry conditions but I'd love to have a good 5mm to work with. I've got an extra set of lowers for the Pike so I'm not all that concerned with playing around with one of them but don't want to bother if someone has tried it with bad results (or has anyone who tried it not lived to tell the tale?).

Anyone out there attempt a DIY mod on the Pike arch yet or do I get to be the guinea pig? I'd love to hear some real world experience similar to the Fox 36 for a 29er mod.

Here's a few pics for anyone wanting to know how the HD 2.35 set up tubless on a Sun Charger/Stans Flow rim will look on a Pike. Sorry for poorly lit photos, too lazy to drag the bike out of the bike closet tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Modifying Pike fork arch for a big 650b (photo of a 2.35 HD on Pike included)...-pike1.jpg  

Modifying Pike fork arch for a big 650b (photo of a 2.35 HD on Pike included)...-pike2.jpg  

Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Wouldn't shave it

Not much material there.. Maybe Fox lowers will fit the RS? I think Warp started a thread in suspension forum w/ mix and match forks, think there was one in there

mtbr member
    its been done to fox 36 to fit 29er wheel.
    but the arch has a lot more meat to it than the pike has.

i would be scared to mod a pike seeing your pics... but if you think about it most of the strenght comes from the 20mm axle(think of the old shiver sc) so it might not be a problem.

that said if you do it, maybe you could fill the empty space with an epoxy paste(like pc7) to add a bit of strength...
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

www.derbyrims.com
    If the tire clears, including clearing the crown when spring is deflated/removed, try it without grinding away some of the arch.

I've run nearly as close clearance for years. You get occasional rocks caught in the knobs pinging off the arch and leaves may flutter and require stopping and reverse direction to clear. Ridable mud packs between the knobs, not over the knobs to become unridable with tight to normal clearance.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
    its been done to fox 36 to fit 29er wheel.
    but the arch has a lot more meat to it than the pike has.

i would be scared to mod a pike seeing your pics... but if you think about it most of the strenght comes from the 20mm axle(think of the old shiver sc) so it might not be a problem.

that said if you do it, maybe you could fill the empty space with an epoxy paste(like pc7) to add a bit of strength...
    That's kind of my thought. The arch certainly isn't as beefy as the 36 but I don't think I'd be pulling out as much material as they have either. I can't convince myself that the arch plays much of a role in the structural integrity of the fork either with the Maxle locked in place. If it was a QR version I wouldn't even be considering it. This bike is more of my off season play bike and I don't plan to be hitting drops, more likely lots of slow speed technical stuff with some flowy downhill. If I go for it I'll check the arch regularly for signs of problems and pull the plug quickly if things look bad.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Well, no going back now with this set of Pike lowers. I took a round file and some 220 grit paper to the arch today, probably took off 3-4 mm or so thus far. At the tallest point of the tire where I used to get a slight buzz I've got 2-3mm of clearance now. I've been able to maintain the entire lower portion of the arch but on the rear it's been thinned down from about 3 mm to pretty much a knife edge. I'm going to run it like this for the time being and see if I feel there is any need to remove more material. Here's a few pics showing the arch and clearance.Modifying Pike fork arch for a big 650b (photo of a 2.35 HD on Pike included)...-img_2119.jpgModifying Pike fork arch for a big 650b (photo of a 2.35 HD on Pike included)...-img_2120.jpgModifying Pike fork arch for a big 650b (photo of a 2.35 HD on Pike included)...-img_2122.jpgModifying Pike fork arch for a big 650b (photo of a 2.35 HD on Pike included)...-img_2123.jpgModifying Pike fork arch for a big 650b (photo of a 2.35 HD on Pike included)...-img_2124.jpg

mtbr member
    looking good
    fill the voids behind the arch with pc7 epoxy...it should help giving it structure..
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Epoxy won't add structural strength.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I think Warp started a thread in suspension forum w/ mix and match forks

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sorry to resurrect a thread that is a few weeks old, but I'm thinking about doing a 650b front wheel with a Pike fork as well. I'm not really interested in filing it, so I am curious what tires would work with this. I'm not interested in a Hans Dampf, but I am considering a 2.25 Ardent, 2.25 Nobby Nic or a 2.35 Nobby Nic. Thanks for any input!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've been running a pike with a blunt rim and a nevegal 2.35 for the past 1.5 yrs without any issues. Measures 6mm clearance. Not a problem at all.

Looking to try a better tread pattern - pike can't really take much more height, but its got lots of width to spare. From what I've read, no way the Nobby Nic 2.35 will fit, but it seems like the 2.25 will. Ardent is supposedly tall, so that is likely out. I'm really thinking of trying the trail taker 2.4 - supposedly just a hair taller than the nevegal, but wider, and better cornering.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jayoutside View Post
    Looking to try a better tread pattern - pike can't really take much more height, but its got lots of width to spare. From what I've read, no way the Nobby Nic 2.35 will fit, but it seems like the 2.25 will. Ardent is supposedly tall, so that is likely out. I'm really thinking of trying the trail taker 2.4 - supposedly just a hair taller than the nevegal, but wider, and better cornering.
    So, did you ever get to try the Trail Taker with the Pike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I would have to do something like that with a Marz 55 but I think I'd rather trim a mm of the centre treads or bias the trimming more on the tire than the arch.