mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Modifying Crossmark eXC for front use?

Like the Crossmark as a rear tire, both 26 and 650b. Tubeless with zero issues at 165 pound rider weight. I like the eXC's weight and the sidewalls are durable enough for my trails on a Pacenti TL28 rim. Considering using it as a front, but wanted to ask if the mod I read about (somewhere, can't find it now) of shaving the intermediate side knobs helps with front-end bite.

Wanting to use the Crossmark 120tpi because I have two new ones in the garage waiting to go on the back, and was hoping a front tire could see use for my hardpack and sand over hardpack conditions.

Currently use Neo Moto 2.1, and while it's a great all-around trail tire it's very heavy for a race-day tread. My Crossmark was 502 grams verified (full disclosure: the other two are 556 and 560 grams, within the 10% variance of claimed weight).

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Heres the article about the snipping of the round knobs. https://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...-8-UST.34.html Word is that it helps cornering bite a lot. I've not done it, but, i wouldn't be the best to judge. I can washout the knobbiest of tire at a moments notice. Tire's abilities far surpass my skill to use them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Rep added!! Just did the tune. Lopped a whole whopping 26 grams, too.
    Last edited by westin; 05-17-2013 at 04:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'd try them first. I didn't identify any problem with them in 29" that the mod would fix.If anything , in sandy conditions more edge blocks help cornering.Just depends on the terrain. If anything i would be cutting out some of the centre blocks especially on the rear as traction, especially braking, on smooth wet surfaces is scary.They hail from an era when we were led to believe that you needed a smooth centre section of tire for low roling resistance. For racing I'd be using the new Ro Ro though.

mtbr member
    As a rear tire, i find the big ramp intermediate knobs do a great job in braking traction. They roll fast and grip well on the climbs. At least in SoCal with the hard, loose over hard, and sandy trails i've ridden them on. I would rather this mod for a front tire just to get those side knobs the ability to dig in. It'll make them even lighter, too. Weigh them after. I'm curious how my weight you will "shave".

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    26 grams shaved off.

mtbr member
    I have these in the rear. They do fine going straight or climbing. They blow in the turns. Scary! I'll have to try this mod otherwise they are going in the trash.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Vertex 990 RSL
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I trimmed the intermediate knobs off for a front tire. It helped a little. I still felt the braking power and cornering ability was off. I ended up swapping it for a Racing Ralph instead. Its ok for a rear though. I still feel like is slips a little climbing while standing. Not enough to swap the rear yet though.