Team Pedalin' PACEless

Michelin Wild Grip'r2 650b Tire ... Feedback?

I am not having much luck with tire selection, since converting my 2010 Orbea Occam to 650b.

I started with a pair of Vee Rubber Mission 2.1's ... these lasted about 200 miles before they were little more than racing slicks.

I then purchased a set of WTB Wolverine 2.2's from another mtb'er. Although these did get me through the Barn Burner 104 (.. well, at least one lap ..), they have very flexy sidewalls and refuse to hold air (in a tubeless application), in spite of a healthy dose of Stan's/Slime elixir. These lasted me about 150 miles.

My tire shortlist includes the Michelin Wild Grip'r 2.35, the Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35 SS and Hans Dampf 2.35 SS, as well as the Maxxis High Roller II 2.4.

I am most interested in the new Michelin's ... has anyone tried these yet?

Pj
    Phoenix, AZ
    Team Pedalin' PACEless

Dissolved member
    I did some miles on the 2.25 Advanced Grip'r in the rear. Good things - super easy tubeless setup, no burping even for 18ish PSI, the tire is big, good traction on dry rocks and roots, it looks like it will last for a while even in rocks - it feels more robust than Schwalbes. Bad things - the tire is big (will not work in many conversions) and rather heavy for a 2.25 (714g), it has an inconsistent grip'r in wet conditions (my poor technique does not help either), makes my heart skip beats on wet roots. In general, I did not think much of its traction with the PSI around 25 and above.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I remember reading that the 2.35 is much larger than the 2.25 Wild Grip'r. Seems like the guy wrote that it was almost like a different tire & the reinforcement on the sidewall was pretty good. I was thinking of getting one to run on my bike but in 26". Just not sure if it's larger than a Hans Dampf; I don't need anything wider than the HD for my trails. Or heavier.

Team Pedalin' PACEless
    Guys, appreciate the personal accounts. I decided to go ahead and spring for a pair, as my WTB Wolverine's wouldn't hold air for more than a half hour or so.

These are beefy tires ... and more wide than tall.

Installation involved a little bit of muscle, a floor pump and slowly releasing air from 50 lbs to get the beads to set.

No clearance issues ... see below.

Michelin Wild Grip'r2 650b Tire ... Feedback?-c360_2013-06-15-19-33-23-582_org.jpgMichelin Wild Grip'r2 650b Tire ... Feedback?-c360_2013-06-15-19-32-49-929_org.jpg

I took them on a 15 miler after letting them sit overnight (.. no air loss !!! ..) and wow, these are confidence-inspiring. Side knobs are very prominent and the tread, in general, is very deep. Riding/climbing/descending in desert terrain - which included hardpack, gravel and sand - was no problem for this rubber.

I also expect these to last for a long time, given the thick casing and tall knobs.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Pj
    Phoenix, AZ
    Team Pedalin' PACEless

mtbr member
    I assume that based on your OP, the pictured tires are 2.35s.
    You offered so here goes:

Is that a 26" fox?

How is the rubber compound? Hard or sticky? As StiHacka mentioned, the 2.25s are not so good here on the Eastcoast...thinking maybe the 2.35 is grippier.

Haven't had a Michelin of any kind for a long time...

Team Pedalin' PACEless
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    I assume that based on your OP, the pictured tires are 2.35s.
    You offered so here goes:

Is that a 26" fox?

How is the rubber compound? Hard or sticky? As StiHacka mentioned, the 2.25s are not so good here on the Eastcoast...thinking maybe the 2.35 is grippier.

Haven't had a Michelin of any kind for a long time...
    No prob, bro ... I did offer.

The fork is a 2010 Fox Float 32 for a 26er. And yes, the pictured tires are the 2.35 Wild Grip'Rs ...

Funny that you should ask about rubber compound, as I was thinking about this during my first ride with the tires. I don't know what Michelin advertises, but the compound seems to be on the harder side. I'm not even sure if it is single or dual.

Desert temps are well over 110 now, so I imagine that any extended riding will soften even the hardest compound enough to increase traction and wear. The tires did hold their own on hardpack and gravel, where compound seems to make a difference.

I used to ride in Seattle, so I know all about mud and roots. It's hard for me to say how these tires would roll in that environment, if that's what you're contending with.

Pj
    Phoenix, AZ
    Team Pedalin' PACEless