mtbr member

Mavic Crossroc 27.5, anyone seen or weighed them yet?

Just curious, a friend mentioned them and depending on which site you see they weight anywhere from 1742 grams to 1965 grams. Also, any info on rider weight guidelines.

Part of the new wheel/tire systems from Mavic for 2014.

I have scoured the intrawebs for an official unbox/weigh type of review but no luck.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    OK, found more concrete info from Mavic, 1825 grams seems to be the magic number.
    It has a 2 pawl system like the cross rides, basically these are between crosstrails and crossrides in the Mavic product line. Pricing of $500 includes the new Mavic tires as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Look pretty solid to me. I wonder if these can be altered to take a 20mm front axle.

mtbr member
    Well I ordered a set, will post up review when I get them, according to the selling dealer the weight of the wheelset in their shop was 1742 grams.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Looking forward to your review.

mtbr member
    Yes, and looking forward to your impressions and measurements of the tires too. The Crossroc Roam looks like it might be a good rear tire choice on my bike, if it will fit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Any updates?

mtbr member
    Sorry, I neglected to come back in the thread. After having some ride time on them they are pretty great wheels for the money. The weight of the set is 1,742 grams which is right on par with Stan's ZTR flows or a hope/flow set. I've ridden 2 pair of crosstrails on previous bikes and they pretty much feel like them. My previous Crosstrails had the ITS-4 (4 pawl system) rear and these have the ITS-2 (2 pawl system) but its honestly not noticeable. If I fine a deal on an ITS-4 hub I might buy one to try out but the free hub action feels like the Crosstrails I had previously.

The wheels are laterally rigid, fairly quiet, and after the first 50 miles the hubs spin really nice.

The wheels came with the new Mavic Crossroc tires already mounted up with tubes, but they came with the stem and a nifty rubber rim strip to convert to tubeless. The black rubber strip fits tight and has very close tolerances in the surface that mates to the wheel so that when its installed you can't see it. The tread and grip of the tires is nice but is a little more than I need for where I ride and I like having lighter tires. I think these are around 750 grams and my Crossmark EXC's are like 500 so a HUGE difference in rotational mass. If anyone wants to try the tires I'd make you a deal on the crossroc rubber

Seeing as I sold the stock Giant wheels for $200 and I got a 15 or 20% discount off the $499 MSRP for the new ones I'm really not into these for allot of money and they are well worth what I paid for them. The only reason I'd have to change these later is if I get a deal on the new American Classic Wide Lightnings just based on the weight savings and slightly wider footprint those rims have, but I'd be happy running these for the foreseeable future.

I've had 3 sets of Mavic mountain wheels and they continue to be a great product for the cost with extremely good packaging and extra bits for anything you might need. Seeing as these come with really nice tires the $499 price is a deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks! Do you think a 2.4 tyre would work with these, the rim width is 30mm right?

Best,

Ari