T.W.O.

Maverick duc32/SC32 conversion

I wonder how much spacer do I need to clear the travel. I have an Ibis mojo With Duc32 and want to try the 650b conversion. Mojo has 140 of travel and Duc has 150. with the 29er kit the spacer is 38mm, that reducing the travel to about 110mm.

My question is can the 29er kit be modify and what is the minimum spacer required, or can I just use it as is without the spacer. Sorry for all of the questions as I don't have the 650b front wheel to try it. Really appreciate your input here.

Thanks

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    I wonder how much spacer do I need to clear the travel. I have an Ibis mojo With Duc32 and want to try the 650b conversion. Mojo has 140 of travel and Duc has 150. with the 29er kit the spacer is 38mm, that reducing the travel to about 110mm.

My question is can the 29er kit be modify and what is the minimum spacer required, or can I just use it as is without the spacer. Sorry for all of the questions as I don't have the 650b front wheel to try it. Really appreciate your input here.

Thanks
    I have been working with Maverick on this... They have come to the conclusion that a 19-20mm spacer would be just right.

They may release a "650B kit" sometime in the near future, but I know their plate is full with bigger issues / projects right now. Having said that, it really wouldn't take much to machine a set of spacers yourself.

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

nothing relevant to say
    I got the go ahead to just cut my spacer in half from Maverick. I started doing it last night, but did not finish. Too many other projects for me too.

TNC
    noMAD man

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    I got the go ahead to just cut my spacer in half from Maverick. I started doing it last night, but did not finish. Too many other projects for me too.
    If I recall the last 69'er setup we did, that spacer was made of a kind of plastic with an o-ring groove in one end to keep the spacer from rattling around on the rod. To get really ghetto, I would think you could cut off the calculated amount of material opposite the o-ring end with a hacksaw and just smooth it up. The spacing system isn't too high tech if I recall. We haven't stuck a 650B in an unmodded DUC32. How much clearance do you really need with the DUC at full travel? I realize that Maverick might have a number recommendation, but might that be based on the kind of logic that Fox and Manitou apply when they say not to run a 650B in their 26'er forks? If it were me, I'd cut a 29'er spacer down to the max to retain the most travel by doing some rudimentary measuring and testing with a 650B mounted in the fork and then totally collapsing the fork. Of couse this would change if one was trying to achieve something else in the way of travel amount.

T.W.O.

Ethan said

mtbr member

650B on a Maverick Fork
    I have used the Pancetti Neo Moto tire on a Sun rim on the front of my Durance and it is great. A good balace between the 2 sizes. I really noticed the reduced swing weight of the 650B. But, the 29er wheel you can stuff into any hole and just keep on going! But, no massive geometry changes with 650B and still a bigger wheel.
    You need a 15mm spacer on the fork, either fork. Buy the 29er kit and cut them down, make sure to use the end with the o-ring on the inside!
    I would add about 12-15cc more oil the air cartridge for starters to tune it for the less travel. Then adjust for progressivness from there.
    I think the 650B will be a bit slow to gain momentum, but has great potential for smaller riders and taking a lot of crappy handling bikes and make them much more stable...
    Post this to the 650-29er forum if you want.

nothing relevant to say
    Yep, Ethan. Thats who I spoke to at Interbike about doing this.

mtbr member
    Sorry Kirk, I got the name spelled wrong, I'll get it right next time!
    Yep, seems like you can just get away with 15mm spacers.
    I still have not done the original experiment, a Durance/SC32 fork 650B front wheel. Whick I'm assuming would be stellar!
    Your right, I've been buried on getting the DUC36 going.

mtbr member

stats of 650b spacer for SC32/DUC32 ...

out of all the SC32/DUC32 650b threads, i thought i'd dig this one out ...

short story, long intro:

i have a pair of neo-motos on the latest 650b velocity blunt rims. both wheels will do duty in a steel hardtail (still tbd, but that's another story ... ), the front wheel will be hitched up to a SC32. so, i thought, the ideal spacer would be about 15mm, more or less half the 29er spacers i have here.

for want of something better to do, i compared the 650b front wheel to my current durance/DUC32 26er front wheel set-up, the tyre being a conti RQ 2.2" ... wait for it the difference is only [EDIT] 16,5mm for the *diameter* ... so, i only need a [EDIT] 9mm spacer?!?

well, not really - i checked the clearance of the 26er RQ 2.2" on my DUC32 at full squish (there was less than none) and it seems i do actually need more than 9mm ...

the bottom line is that i need to measure the SC32 with 650b wheel/combo and determine the best clearance. but, i was wondering if there are perhaps enough 650b SC32s and/or DUC32s out there *now* so that we can pull together a consensus on the right spacer for a specific tyre ...

ragetty
    Last edited by ragetty; 04-07-2010 at 12:36 AM.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty
    out of all the SC32/DUC32 650b threads, i thought i'd dig this one out ...

short story, long intro:

i have a pair of neo-motos on the latest 650b velocity blunt rims. both wheels will do duty in a steel hardtail (still tbd, but that's another story ... ), the front wheel will be hitched up to a SC32. so, i thought, the ideal spacer would be about 15mm, more or less half the 29er spacers i have here.

for want of something better to do, i compared the 650b front wheel to my current durance/DUC32 26er front wheel set-up, the tyre being a conti RQ 2.2" ... wait for it the difference is only 11mm for the *diameter* ... so, i only need a 6mm spacer?!?

well, not really - i checked the clearance of the 26er RQ 2.2" on my DUC32 at full squish and it seems i do actually need more than 6mm ...

the bottom line is that i need to measure the SC32 with 650b wheel/combo and determine the best clearance. but, i was wondering if there are perhaps enough 650b SC32s and/or DUC32s out there so that we can pull together a consensus on the right spacer for a specific tyre ...

ragetty
    Call Maverick and they will tell you that they've determined 15mm to be the magic number. In fact, [I think] they've started making a 650b specific travel reduction kit for their forks.

Cheers,

KP

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    well, of course i can do that, thanks for the heads up ...

but that's just one answer - whereas i'm much more interested in what is the minimum spacer i need either for a specific DUC32 or SC32 / tyre combo ...

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty
    well, of course i can do that, thanks for the heads up ...

but that's just one answer - whereas i'm much more interested in what is the minimum spacer i need either for a specific DUC32 or SC32 / tyre combo ...

15mm is based on the maximum recommended tire radius(2.3 Neo-Moto / 2.35 Nevegal). While you may gain a few more mm of travel by using a smaller tire and shorter spacer, but it's pretty much moot.

Cheers,

KP
    Last edited by Kirk Pacenti; 04-05-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Pacenti Cycle Design

T.W.O.
    Ragetty,
    You may be able to go as low as 11mm but I'd would be nervous in the event of a bottom out. I took a soil sample once because of that, I switch the wrong Duc32 and OOCH!!. Mine was set up at 17mm and I still have a few mm clearance I could have gone to lower spacer but I reserved that space just in case KP would offer a 2.5 Neo-Moto, that would be SWEET!!!!

12/30/2009

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Nice bikes!

A 2.5" Neo-Moto would be SWEET!!!! Someday....

Cheers,

KP

Pacenti Cycle Design

T.W.O.
    Kirk, I have a Magura Wotan on my Moment and was wondering if it would fit the 2.35 Neo-moto. I don't have a spared 20mm 650b to measure but the manual said that the fork would accommodate up to 2.8" tire(26). Below, is the pic with clearance on Kenda Nev 2.35

Thanks

And yes the 2.5 neo would be the bomb.
    01/28/2010

mtbr member
    You may be able to go as low as 11mm but I'd would be nervous in the event of a bottom out. I took a soil sample once because of that, I switch the wrong Duc32 and OOCH!!. Mine was set up at 17mm and I still have a few mm clearance I could have gone to lower spacer but I reserved that space just in case KP would offer a 2.5 Neo-Moto ...
    thanks mimi1885, that's the sort of feedback i was looking for - although your figures are for the DUC32, right?

that is more or less my plan, to successively trim down the spacers for my SC32 until i get a few mm clearance. it seems i should start with around 20mm and work down from there ...

ragetty

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Kirk, I have a Magura Wotan on my Moment and was wondering if it would fit the 2.35 Neo-moto. I don't have a spared 20mm 650b to measure but the manual said that the fork would accommodate up to 2.8" tire(26). Below, is the pic with clearance on Kenda Nev 2.35

Thanks

And yes the 2.5 neo would be the bomb.
    01/28/2010
    I think there are pics somewhere on MTBR that show the Wotan with a Neo-Moto installed.

I can't say with any level of certainty, but it *looks* like a 650b wheel will fit in your fork. The only way to know for sure is ask Magura what the maximum tire radius / diameter for the Wotan is. Then compare that to the The biggest 650b tires.

The Neo-Moto has a tire radius of (depending on the rim) about 352 - 354mm. That's an overall diameter of 704 - 708mm. If your Wotan will accept a tire as big or bigger than that, you'll be all set.

Cheers,

KP

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    2.5 Neo Moto?
    Oh sweet Jesus, yes please!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

My next tire Kirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    Nice bikes!

A 2.5" Neo-Moto would be SWEET!!!! Someday....

Cheers,

KP
    You have been quoted. "Someday"

Thank you in advance.