Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Manitou Marvel Pro 120 26er fork....will it fit 650?

No info about a 26er Marvel Pro fitting 650b. Heck, not a lot of info on the supposedly new and improved Manitou offerings (the few comments are how great the action is, for what that's worth).

Thought I'd post to refresh the search engine gods: anyone have success with a 650b rim & tire in a 2012 Manitou Marvel Pro 120 15mm taper?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Do you have one of these forks?
    Manitou does plan to make a 650b version of the Marvel some time this year. I too am curious about how they perform.
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I don't have one. Found a good price on a new one, and it's for a friend's 26er XC build. He liked my Float 120 RLC while running a 650b, but it's about $100 more than the Marvel Pro, and he is on a budget, sort of. So if he buys the Marvel Pro and isn't in love with it the option to swap him for the RLC FIT 120, and I run the MP120 was in the cards, but I wanted to know if the Mani was 650b compatible.

mtbr member
    I eyeballed a 2.25 RR in a Circus fork and it barely fit. Not a perfect trial (it was a 20mm fork and I have a 15 hope hub, so I took the 15mm adaptors out and hand centered the wheel) but did not seem to leave enough clearance to ride comfortably. I think the lowers are pretty similar to a Marvel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Any updates here?
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have the marvel pro, I would say yes it would fit, I haven't tried yet but looking at the room between my spinergys and a 26-225 ardent I would think so...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manitou Marvel Pro 120 26er fork....will it fit 650?-20131011_165549.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryll25 View Post
    I have the marvel pro, I would say yes it would fit, I haven't tried yet but looking at the room between my spinergys and a 26-225 ardent I would think so...
    This is interesting info, but how does the fork perform? Is that one setup at 120mm?
    Thanks.
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Works great yes set up for 120, some of my rides I am surprised that I have used as muchttravel as I have used... Love it... Daryl

CTB
    mtbr member
    I'm building up a bike with a 2012 Marvel Pro 120. I just tried my 650 wheel in it, and it clears well. Stan's Arch EX 650B with a Hutchinson Cobra 2.25 mounted on it. I couldn't take any pics, but there is plenty of clearance between the arch and the tire, and what I would call good clearance between the tire and crown at full compression.

mtbr member
    CTB, thanks for the info. Could you measure the diameter of your tire/rim combo. My 2.35 Nobby Nic on TL28 rim is almost 28" tall. I am wondering if it will fit. I am building up one of the SC Superlight bargain bin frames and would like to keep the A to C as low as possible.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Flip D, no problem. The OD of my Cobras is 27 5/8" (27.625"). By my guess, the Marvel would have enough room for maybe another 1/8"at full compression, so 27.75" max. The fork arch would probably clear another 1/4", but that's pushing it, and if you bottomed, you'd crash hard into the crown. Which would then mean you'd crash hard into the ground...

mtbr member
    Thanks, sounds like it will be too close for comfort. I'll have to wait until the new 27.5 Mantou's show up.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip D View Post
    Thanks, sounds like it will be too close for comfort. I'll have to wait until the new 27.5 Mantou's show up.
    I just measured my 650b wheels with Pacenti Neo 2.3 tyres and got a diameter of 27.5"
    Looks like I'm going to buy some "new" 2012 Marvel Pros that I found on sale, unless somebody here has new data that says no.
    I'm the same as FlipD - building up a Superlight frame from the online sale. I would like a 100mm fork, as recommended by Santa Cruz. The question is, will it have the same clearance as the 120mm fork mentioned above? I can't find AC lengths for these two Manitous but all the other forks I've seen have exactly 20mm more AC length for a 20mm longer travel fork. So that would mean the clearance at the fully compressed position would be the same for the two different travel forks, right?

The White Jeff W
    Manitou is making a 650b version of the marvel now
    No moss...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Manitou is making a 650b version of the marvel now
    Yes thanks for your reply, but there are two problems:
    1. the AC length is too long at 496mm (Santa Cruz recommends 471mm AC for the Superlight 26" and I don't want to go any slacker), and
    2. they are not on super duper SALE like the 2012 26" Marvel.

CTB
    mtbr member
    The 100mm Marvel is the 120mm Marvel with an extension restrictor in it. Manitou has a guide online that shows you how to take the fork apart and convert the 100mm to 120mm by removing this spacer (I have this somewhere). So I'd say the 100mm will have the exact same clearance as the 120mm since they are the same parts compressing the same distance. The only difference would be on the extension side, and thus A2C.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks CTB, good info.
    So the 100mm gives me an option to go longer if I want. And maybe I could even cut the spacer in half and go 110mm. I like that.
    Geez I hope it will fit my Neo 2.3's.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Mine fits my Hutch Cobras with clearance to spare, which as I noted above measured 27.625". If you're Neos really are 27.5", you should be good.

Here is the 2014 travel adjust guide. I hope the 2012's are the same; I would guess they are.

http://www.manitoumtb.com/wp-content...just-Guide.pdf

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    Mine fits my Hutch Cobras with clearance to spare, which as I noted above measured 27.625". If you're Neos really are 27.5", you should be good.

Here is the 2014 travel adjust guide. I hope the 2012's are the same; I would guess they are.

http://www.manitoumtb.com/wp-content...just-Guide.pdf
    Thanks CTB.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I wonder how many the seller has. I just bought mine earlier today also

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My new 2012 26" Marvel Pros arrived today from Chain Reaction. (That was quick.)
    I anxiously put the front 650b wheel with NeoMoto 2.3s in the fork.......and it fits! Yay!
    Haven't checked full compression clearance yet, but that's adjustable anyway.
    This fork looks very nice. At this early stage, I'm thinking $200 delivered was a pretty good deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Clearance at full compression is not adjustable. Bottomed out is bottomed out whether it travelled 100mm or 180mm. Even if arch clearance is confirmed, if there is no crown clearance when bottomed out, it won't work.
    I'm interested in using this fork, too. Please check it out.
    -Carlos

Flux

CTB
    mtbr member
    Carlos,
    As I already posted above, this crown easily clears a tire that is 27.625" in overall diameter and 2.25" wide at full compression. If your tires are that or less, you're fine. The Cobra tire I have is relatively square in profile as well. Rounder profiles will clear slightly better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well, great! I read your earlier post, but I guess it didn't register.
    I was just replying to goog64's statement about the bottom-out being adjustable. I'm not trying to win the internet or anything, just informing.
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    May 2011
    los36, I find it really hard to believe that there's nothing I can put inside a fork to reduce it's length at full compression. I'm so confident I think I'd even bet 10 cents on it.
    Most forks I know of have some type of bottom out bumper. I could just make that bumper taller for example.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast