Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The White Jeff W

Manitou jumps in with a new 27.5 compatible AM fork

EB13: First Look! Manitou Mattoc ? Long Travel Enduro Suspension Fork Finally Hammered Out

I use a Tower Pro 29er fork on my 650B bike and its excellent. This new fork apparently borrows technology from the Dorado, their downhill fork

Manitou jumps in with a new 27.5 compatible AM fork-large_manitoumattocmodelle.png
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Big fan of my Tower Pro also. I wanted a Manitou but they didn't have anything other than what would now be considered XC forks in 27.5(besides Dorado.) I thought it would be 2-3 years before they came out with something like this. Never thought about using a Tower on my smaller wheeled bikes but have not been impressed with the FOX on my Tracer. Much improved performance, less travel but the A to C would be about right(140mm Tower Pro.)

I kept thinking about a Pike but that price tag and rubber bladder kept me from ordering one. I bet that a properly adjusted Mattoc will be as good or better than the Pike.

Note to Manitou, make the black forks available first. The only complaint I have with my Tower Pro is that it is white. Nobody, I mean nobody, wants a white fork.

mtbr member
    1.5 in steer tube, 34mm stanchions, 160mm travel then you go and put a 15mm qr = FAIL.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgto View Post
    1.5 in steer tube, 34mm stanchions, 160mm travel then you go and put a 15mm qr = FAIL.....
    A year ago I'd have agreed, but having ridden some stiff forks with 15mm axles, I'm increasingly inclined to believe that the axle size isn't nearly so important as the stiffness of the steerer, stanchions, and casting, all of which look to be pretty solid on this fork. (It may just be that stiffness-to-weight can be maximized by putting the weight elsewhere on the fork than the axle itself.)

mtbr member
    Anybody have an inside scoop on when these will be released?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Really??? Have you tried a Pike?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip D View Post
    Anybody have an inside scoop on when these will be released?
    Manitou says December 2013.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    there's the 'stiff enough' vs 'stiffer is better' question, as always. my 27.5 fox 34 is pretty good for stiffness but not as good as my 26er Lyrik. I agree that crown and lowers design can largely make up for a smaller axle, but AFAIK the Lyrik 27.5 will have a 20 mm T/A and that's a good thing. i.e. the manitous may be fine but they'd be stiffer still w/ a 20 mm.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

tardcore
    Not til Spring for the release, that's straight from Hayes. If it's as good a Dorado, it'll be great. These guys are stepping up big.

Trail Ninja
    Pinch bolts vs QR?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Is it possible that at a given weight, a 15mm fork can be stiffer than a 20mm fork? i.e., the weight taken out of the dropouts/axle could be applied to the crown, steerer, stanchions, and/or casting?

The White Jeff W
    They have a video up on the website

Mattoc | Manitou
    No moss...

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    Is it possible that at a given weight, a 15mm fork can be stiffer than a 20mm fork? i.e., the weight taken out of the dropouts/axle could be applied to the crown, steerer, stanchions, and/or casting?
    I dont see why not. 32mm stanchions with 20mm axle vs 34mm stanchions with 15mm axle.

Can anyone really detect the flex? Who are these people and how do the know its the fork and not the wheels or frame?
    No moss...

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by pjlama View Post
    Not til Spring for the release, that's straight from Hayes. If it's as good a Dorado, it'll be great. These guys are stepping up big.
    Whats the odds that it'll be released before the Sweep?
    No moss...

tardcore
    [QUOTE=jeffw-13;10754965]Whats the odds that it'll be released before the Sweep?[/QUOTE

I'm not too excited about the sweep. The xfusion stuff is pricey, a little hefty and based on the vengeance I just got rid of not a great feeling fork. I only have owned the one so take it with a grain of salt. My Manitou experience has been very good though. I have a Dorado and revox on my dh bike and am beyond pleased. Great weight, performance and price vmmv

The White Jeff W
    [QUOTE=pjlama;10755696]
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Whats the odds that it'll be released before the Sweep?[/QUOTE

I'm not too excited about the sweep. The xfusion stuff is pricey, a little hefty and based on the vengeance I just got rid of not a great feeling fork. I only have owned the one so take it with a grain of salt. My Manitou experience has been very good though. I have a Dorado and revox on my dh bike and am beyond pleased. Great weight, performance and price vmmv
    That was meant as a jab at X Fusion since they keep pushing the release date back on the Sweep. Lack of compression adjustment means that it wouldn't be something I'd consider.

Ill be interested to see the pricing on the Mattock. Of all the new 275 forks that are out its the one Im most interested in, and Im really glad to see Manitou getting on board. Im using a 140mm Tower Pro on my 650b'd Yelli Screamy. It is excellent and infinitely adjustable. To be able to add more travel at the same axle to crown length and the 34mm stanchions is very exciting.
    No moss...

mtbr member

In Pinkbike's article they list the Mattoc Pro at $860.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    In Pinkbike's article they list the Mattoc Pro at $860.
    I am hoping that they will be sub $700 online. I just got a Bronson(yea threaded BB!) and looking to get a Swinger pro and Mattoc for less than a Pike.

tardcore
    It should be able to be had pretty inexpensive with such a low retail. The only negative is waiting until spring.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Can anyone really detect the flex? Who are these people and how do the know its the fork and not the wheels or frame?
    Exactly.

I wish MTBR (a review site after all) would set up an engineering-based stiffness test of forks and different axle configurations and compare the fork stiffness to typical wheel/tire stiffness. If the rim flexes 5mm, why would a couple microns of axle flex matter? It wouldn't honestly be that difficult a test and might potentially quiet down some of this 20mm idolatry.
    whatever...

Trail Ninja
    I always wanted to set up a benchmark test for isolated stiffness comparison of individual parts, but lab results don't exactly translate into predictable results in the field. I find parts must work together in harmony in a nice balance. I once thought that big brands outfitted their bikes with house brand parts to make it so all the margins are going to them, but with some brands it's more to better control the user experience of their products, minimizing outside uncontrollable factors. For example, if one part is stiff, more of the force goes to an adjacent part and makes flex feel more apparent there. A brand like Trek can tweak that part to make their bike feel better balanced and feel very behaved, working as you would expect with minimal unwelcome feedback. After a few tests, you begin to suspect why one fork maker did things like they did, such as shape their crown and arch in such a way that it has bigger cross sections in line with compression than the competition, perhaps to help maintain alignment under compression, for less binding, and therefore smoother fork operation in the rough. Can't really jump to conclusions, but it does open up more perspectives on how things work to better understand why they work a certain way in the field.

The White Jeff W
    They're now showing up on CRC's site at $885. Not in stock yet.

Manitou Mattoc Pro Forks 2014 | Chain Reaction Cycles
    No moss...

Zokinjo
    Aug 2008
    hwGDHXAGHSFXdghwqf*

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zokinjo View Post
    hwGDHXAGHSFXdghwqf*

Pat, I'd like to a vowel…an 'E'.

mtbr member
    really?? regardless of how it functions, ie QR or TA 15mm is stout so no fail what so ever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast