mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Lynskey Pro650 Review

Lynskey Pro650 Review-2013-04-21-16.01.29.jpg

Here is my Lynskey PRO650 review…before I get into the bike itself let me give a little background…I’ve never owned a hardtail, 29er or a weight weenie bike. So a lot of my observation could be from a whole host of differences from my other bikes….for the record my trail bike is a Tracer2 that weights about 29lbs.

I’ve been on about 5 rides with the latest being over two hours on rough single track…

This thing absolutely rips, I cannot believe how fast I can eat up the trails. I still adjusting my brain on how to ride it, I clear stuff up hill that I couldn't even imaging on the T2. I think the big difference here is the wheel size, where I’m use to stalling hitting obstacles the 27.5’s roll right over. I’m also adjusting to uphill riding in general, where on my T2 I’d grab a low gear and spin up stiff, on the Lynskey I upshift and get out of the saddle and can hammer up. On flat’s I can really hammer, the combination of weight, wheels size and being a hardtail I cannot believe how fast I’m moving on the flats.

I thought the biggest adjustment would be losing the rear suspension, and that hasn't been a factor at all. On my ride yesterday I felt great until about 1:45 into the ride then I could feel that my lower back was getting worn down…but right after that I hit a long uphill section and was able to climb it with ease so the trade-off is totally worth it in my book.

My summary, love the larger wheel size and the weight of my build, I’d guess the frame material goes a long way into not missing the rear suspension as much as I thought I would.

Below are the specs of my build, it came in right at 22lbs 9oz

Name:  ynskey.jpg
Views: 2754
Size:  65.9 KB

Wrench
    Beautiful bike man! I currently ride a Blur XCc racebike, but I'm hoping to get a hardtail within the next year. I would prefer a hardtail and a FS for the various racing terrain that we have here in Texas.

Would love a Ti bike...

650b me
    Thanks for the write-up! That's about THE perfect build, IMO. Everything you need, nothing you don't. I built a steel 650b hardtail at UBI. Never thought I would enjoy it as much as my Mach 4, but I do. I hadn't ridden a hardtail in about a decade. Wow, was it a pleasant surprise. You get out of it exactly what you put into it. No wasted power. And with the right material (steel or ti) and frame design, it can be fairly comfortable.

Congratulations on a killer build!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks guys, I am truly surprised how much I enjoy this bike. Like I said in the review I think it a combination of weight, wheel size, frame material, and frame type (hardtail).

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Gorgeous bike.... Love it.
    What is the bb height ? I got an m240 Lynskey and apart of head angle other geometry look the same with Pro650. And a 650b wheel is fit (tightly though) into the chainstay. I wonder if the bb will be too high.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Buyers beware!!!

I ordered the mt650 in mid May, and Im still waiting for the bike! First, they ran out if MT650 frame so I was "upgraded" to a Ridgeline VF 650 "2014" model. Sales person stated that I'm getting such a good deal since it's a new frame("don't tell your friends, its not even out yet")! Made me excited and happy with the "$800" upgrade. A few weeks later..... I called for an ETA, and sales person stated that the fork, and wheelset are behind and won't get to them til Aug. at this time, I'm furious!!! But wait! Another salesman solution! I can get an upgrade on the fork and wheelset for $250 more, and I will get it in a week. Seems like a great deal, so lets go! 2 weeks later, "we're still waiting for the fork, and at least you don't have to wait til Aug".(WTF)! Okay... Waited another week then gave them a call again. Salesman now is saying(with an attitude) that he's just waiting on the fork(liar! I called the fork company and they said that the turn around for an order is 3 days and everything was on time!)salesman is now offering me to cancel the order if I wanted to...really!!! after all the wait. I know that I am now at their mercy so what can I freakin do but wait. 3 days after that call, I get a call from them. Finally my bike is going to ship out. It takes a few day inly according to sales person. Now, 2 freaking weeks later, and I'm still waiting! Last conversations I had, they told me they shipped it out for free
    And with no tracking! Then why the fudge do I have a charge for $50 on shipping... Unbelievable!

mtbr member

Lynskey Pro650 Review

Quote Originally Posted by bayareaflip View Post
    I ordered the mt650 in mid May, and Im still waiting for the bike! First, they ran out if MT650 frame so I was "upgraded" to a Ridgeline VF 650 "2014" model. Sales person stated that I'm getting such a good deal since it's a new frame("don't tell your friends, its not even out yet")! Made me excited and happy with the "$800" upgrade. A few weeks later..... I called for an ETA, and sales person stated that the fork, and wheelset are behind and won't get to them til Aug. at this time, I'm furious!!! But wait! Another salesman solution! I can get an upgrade on the fork and wheelset for $250 more, and I will get it in a week. Seems like a great deal, so lets go! 2 weeks later, "we're still waiting for the fork, and at least you don't have to wait til Aug".(WTF)! Okay... Waited another week then gave them a call again. Salesman now is saying(with an attitude) that he's just waiting on the fork(liar! I called the fork company and they said that the turn around for an order is 3 days and everything was on time!)salesman is now offering me to cancel the order if I wanted to...really!!! after all the wait. I know that I am now at their mercy so what can I freakin do but wait. 3 days after that call, I get a call from them. Finally my bike is going to ship out. It takes a few day inly according to sales person. Now, 2 freaking weeks later, and I'm still waiting! Last conversations I had, they told me they shipped it out for free
    And with no tracking! Then why the fudge do I have a charge for $50 on shipping... Unbelievable!
    I hear your frustration. My experience is somewhat similar, but I chalked it up to getting a bike with high demand parts. I should be getting mine next week. So looking forward to riding it. Cheers. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Re: Lynskey Pro650 Review

Just finished my girlfriends Pro650 build. Awesome bike! This thing started in late January of this year as just a cheap SS build. We were planning on a SOMA frame but after she saw the Lynskey online it was all over. Not only is this a custom build, she had to have the Helix frame and then added the lefty head tube in on a single speed frame. This thing is a rocket! I'm not quite brave enough to add up all the costs on this thing though. Attachment 816302Lynskey Pro650 Review-uploadfromtaptalk1373912327686.jpg

mtbr member

Re: Lynskey Pro650 Review

Sorry about the double post.
    Last edited by natevanw; 07-15-2013 at 02:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice bike and you could still knock a lot of weight off of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Got a brand new Lynskey Pro650 Xlarge for sale. Willing to sell the frame separate or the complete bike. I plan to order the large when I get some extra cash

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It comes with a full warranty from lynskey as the original buyer