curds and gravy fool

Love it, love it, love it, love it (Bside + Woodchipper + Velour content)

So, I converted an old kona unit to 650B last spring and enjoyed it so much that I built up a Soma Bside. All was good, but I was missing my old Midge bar setup (the Mary just wasn't cutting it). I loved the feel of the Midge, but always felt a little funny about the shortness of the bar ends. As soon as I saw the Woodchipper bar, I had to give it shot, and since I'd be needing a new fork with an uncut steerer, I would give my aging elbows and hands a break, and try out a Velour (Velvet) fork at the same time.

All of this has been said in one form or another, but setup right, these bars provide a perfect climbing position and added confidence downhill. For me, the setup is fairly straight forward. First, I set the height by finding the spot where I feel comfortable climbing seated or standing, i.e., if it's too high, I feel like I have to stand up to climb in a good position. The second adjustment is the tilt. What I do is ride with my hands open (with fingers spread) on the drops on a flat or slightly uphill trail, and pay attention to which way my hands shift on bumps. The goal is to get the tilt set so that small bumps leave my unclenched hands in roughly the same spot. If they tend to creep one way or the other, I make the appropriate adjustment until I find that nice neutral spot. For shifting, the dura ace 9 speed bar end shifter played nicely with an old Shimano 600 derailleur.

The fork? Well, my last suspension fork was a '97 Manitou SXR. I know the Velour is relatively rudimentary, but these things have come a long way in ten or so years. I was worried that I would miss the point and shoot feel of the rigid fork, but I honestly didn't notice any difference in handling precision. After thirty minutes, the fork just sort of disappeared all together. I'm sure it bobbed quite a bit on climbs, but I didn't really notice. It let me just enjoy the ride.

So, anyone thinking of doing a setup like this- go for it. And Kirk, can you please design a 650b tire specifically for climbing wet roots?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Love it, love it, love it, love it (Bside + Woodchipper + Velour content)-p1020909.jpg  

Love it, love it, love it, love it (Bside + Woodchipper + Velour content)-p1020912.jpg  

Love it, love it, love it, love it (Bside + Woodchipper + Velour content)-p1020915.jpg  

Sometimes you gotta hold onto the grass to stop from flying off the earth.

mtbr member
    I think he did, he just has to change the batter in the mold

I don't know, but it looks like those dropouts would be a major pain to deal with with a geared set-up.

Cheesiest
    Sweet setup! I just got my Woodchippers the other day. First ride this weekend.

curds and gravy fool

dropouts

Yup. they are a compromise for sure. Can't use a quick release because the disc side moves. I just have to remember to carry a 15mm wrench for flats.

mtbr member
    Maybe have some local New England builder fab you up a custom stem for those bars?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hot! Are the woodchippers 25.4mm clamp only?

curds and gravy fool

custom stem

mmmmmmm....that's a nice idea! Something steel, painted in the same baby poo orange......

curds and gravy fool

clamp diameter

Thanks. The bar comes in 25.4 and 31.8. I have a collection of 25.4 stems so I went with that.

mtbr member
    I like your Sheldon Brown sticker on the top tube too.

curds and gravy fool

Sheldon sticker

Sheldon is a reminder to enjoy every ride.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Ditto. I was actually over at Harris Cyclery yesterday to pick up my 650B rims (Velocity Synergy).

mtbr member
    May 2007

sheldon stikkers?

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Are the Sheldon stikkers still available? Anyone?? Love to get a couple for myself and my Flagstaff/4 Corner compadres who are fans of Mr. Brown
    thanks

curds and gravy fool

Sheldon Stickers

I'll see if they've still got a stack on the counter and send you some if they do. I'll pm you if I can get them.

curds and gravy fool

Newton too, etc

Not to derail my own thread, but hey you guys from Newton and surrounding area (I live about a 1/2 mile towards moody st from Harris). Heading to Great Brook on Sunday at some point. Let me know if you want to come along......

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nice!!! I like it a lot.