mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Looking for a Substitute for Specialized Tires!

So I recently completed a Norco Sight build and I currently have a 2.4" Vee Rubber Trail Raker on the front and a used Kenda Nevegal 2.35" on the back my LBS was kind enough to give me. The Vee Rubber is huge but the compound is very plasticy and it does not grip like its chunky looks suggest. The Nevegal feels like a boat anchor in the back, weight is fine but the rolling resistance is kind of unbearable to me.

On my Yelli Screamy 29er I run a 2.3" Purgatory in the front and a 2.3" Ground Control in the back. I like the combo quite a bit. They aren't the lightest but they roll fast and the GC slips just before the purgatory in a very controllable manner. Since Specialized does not like 650b, I'm SOL and need a replacement.

I prefer both tires to be reasonably light (sub 800g), high volume, roll fairly quickly (especially out back). I don't mind a slightly slidey back end as long as it breaks loose in a predictable manner. Front should be pretty sticky. I corner very aggressively but I do have to earn my turns on 10+ mile climbs so I need a balance.

Was considering these combos but I'm totally open to suggestions.

Conti MK2.4 Front, Xking 2.4 Rear

Bontrager XR4 2.35 Front, XR3 2.35 Rear

Schwalbe NN or HD 2.35 Front, NN 2.25 R

Anything else I'm missing? Tires make or break a bike so I need some wisdom!

mtbr member

I like my Ardent 2.25 as a rear. 712 grams. I love my HR2 on the front but it is heavier than what you want. Both are wearing very well. The Schwalbes just wear out too fast, ESP the Trailstar versions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I had Ardents on a 26" bike and they were pretty good tires. I wouldn't mind trying one out in the back with a DHF in the front but I'm not sure I can wait long enough for that to become available.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    I had Ardents on a 26" bike and they were pretty good tires. I wouldn't mind trying one out in the back with a DHF in the front but I'm not sure I can wait long enough for that to become available.
    If you're willing to go with a tank like the DHF then I'd say give the HR2 a try. My 2.3 is less than 900 grams.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Never much cared for the HR1, I kinda figured the HR2 would be pretty similar. Maxxis says the Minion 2.3 650b with 3c and exo is supposed to be 825g so over what I want but not terrible.

At this point I'm kind of leaning towards the 2.4MK and 2.4Xking combo, they look the most like the purgatory/GC.

mtbr member
    Selfishly the ONLY reason I want Spesh to get into the 27.5 game is for their rubber.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallet21 View Post
    Selfishly the ONLY reason I want Spesh to get into the 27.5 game is for their rubber.
    Agreed, my purgatory/GC combo has been damn near perfect. Easy to set up tubeless, roll fast, grip well, decent weight, wear hard, and typically cheaper than other brands. Can't ask for more.

Just a flesh wound
    I am on my second set of Neo Moto 2.3's. Couldn't be happier.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    I am on my second set of Neo Moto 2.3's. Couldn't be happier.
    got tired of the constant sealant leakage.

Just a flesh wound
    I read here that Panaracer is making them tubeless ready with 90 tpi.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    This ^^. Would love some Purgartory and Butchers in 27.5. Light, durable, roll well, decent price.

Dissolved member
    My current setup is Vee Rubber Fluid 2.4 front / Kenda Honey Badger 2.2 rear, both on wide Derby rims. The Fluid grips better than the Trail Taker and I like it a lot, and the Honey Badger is a superb tire that just bites into stuff, much better than a Hans Dampf 2.25 that becomes useless after 200 miles. When I wear the Fluid down, I am tempted to go Honey Badger front/rear.

Just a flesh wound
    StiHacka, how do you like the Derby rims?

With regards to the Neo Moto leaking issue, I have found that a shot of Stan's every 5 or 6 weeks keeps things good. That means just one scoop. I squirt it into the removable valve core. It must take at least 4 minutes to do both. I am willing to do this only because I like them so much for the way they handle everything. A one tire quiver.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Maxxis ikon 2.35 rear / ardent 2.4 front would be a nice fast and durable tire similar to the purg/ground control.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    StiHacka, how do you like the Derby rims?
    I love them! I am sure you would like them a lot, too. They give a nice profile and improve traction for smaller tires like the Neo Motos. We should plan a ride in your neck of the woods when temperatures drop and trails get firm.

mtbr member
    Here's a reason not to buy Specialized tires, or anything from them for that
    matter

War vet forced to change bike shop?s name after threat from Specialized | Calgary Herald

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

I got the bontrager XR4s 2.35 front and 2.25 back about 3 months ago and I love them. I was in velociraptors before and the bontragers are noticeably better at corning. They are very predictable, and are a big improvement over bontragers previous attempts at tires
    2009 Gary Fisher HiFi
    riding time is split between central NH and Hudson Valley, NY