Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Looking for best 27.5 for around $3500

I want to demo some bikes this spring and pick up a 27.5 so far on the top of my list is a Giant Trance (rode it in Park City). I am looking for a bike that has approximately 5 inches of travel and is mostly used for cross country but some enduro/ down hill from time to time. It needs to climb! What are some other good options. I read a lot of articles but would like some personal input from fellow riders. $3500 plus or minus is my budget, it is sad but not a lot in the bike world.... Thanks again.

Maybe??
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Intense 275 Tracer
    Scott (not sure on prices)
    Trek Remedy
    GT
    Pivot

mtbr member
    NORCO! You can get a brand new carbon framed bike for around your pricepoint. A lesser build but you can upgrade parts over time. The Sight might be what your looking for, it will be the 160mm carbon Range for me!

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    SoCal is right, Norco probably offers the best bang for the buck these days, and even if their suspension design or color schemes aren't perfect, they are still pretty dang good especially if you're more of a XC rider than a downhill guy.

I rode a 140mm Norco Sight, bottom of the barrel build (heavy), and 160mm Intense Carbine and I couldn't tell much of a difference in the way they rode, other than I felt the Norco needed a 160mm fork.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Santa Cruz Bronson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpok92 View Post
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    So you could have upright outdated geo and VPP that gets hung up & is lazy and inactive. Indeed...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    So you could have upright outdated geo and VPP that gets hung up & is lazy and inactive. Indeed...

Interesting but anyways the best thing you can do is go demo any of the bikes on your list and choose the one you think fits best.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    the Kona process 134 is in that spot - but likely 1-2lbs heavier than others mentioned

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Turner Burner with the Trail build is $3500, it's 10% off today only if you use the code "cybermonday"

https://www.turnerbikes.com/2013-tur...ner-burner-exp

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm in the exact same position as the OP, really leaning towards that Norco carbon sight. Seems like such a screaming deal, esp when compared against the sb75al which is also high on my list. I really like the Trance's I've demo'd but already have a giant, kind of want to try something new.

Really leaning towards carbon b/c I'm getting tired of lugging my 32 lb anthem around when my friends have 160mm bikes that weigh 5 lbs less. -_-

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Full disclosure: I'm buying this bike without riding it. Looking into the Devinci Troy might be worth a few minutes. For the XP tier(3k), you get an alu bike with a Pike up front and a solid SRAM X7 component group. Little known fact, Devinci sends their bikes to dealers completely unassembled and allows customers to mix and match frame and parts kits. Why this is interesting is that you can get the carbon frame with the XP kit for $3500. Bonus: the carbon frame comes with a Fox Factory shock with the Kashima coating in the price of the frame. This is what I'm doing. For $3500 you get a carbon frame with fully internal routing, a Pike up front, K Fox in the back, and a solid component group. Can't beat that man. Small issue of being able to demo one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Interesting that even the carbon troy is 30 lbs with SLX gruppo. Probably the same with the lighter pike but heavier X7 / no dropper.

I was thinking the Norco was going to be closer to 28 lbs with X7/X9+dropper mix.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The base Troy carbon package includes the dropper, so there's your weight. The frame is a half pound less than the Alu version. So, it should be coming in a hair over 29 lbs with the carbon frame + XP kit( if Devinci's weights are correct). I'm planning on going 1 x 10 and setting up the Hans Dampfs tubeless. For less than $150, that should drop the weight a pound and a half. Not bad to spend $3650 and have a full carbon bike thats under 28lbs( again if the published weights are correct).

Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    Interesting that even the carbon troy is 30 lbs with SLX gruppo. Probably the same with the lighter pike but heavier X7 / no dropper.

I was thinking the Norco was going to be closer to 28 lbs with X7/X9+dropper mix.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The one thing I noticed is that a lot of bikes come with the Rockshox Fork in the $3K price range which is one thing I want to avoid. I just sold a HiFi Pro with a Fox Fork and have a hard tail now with a Reba RL on it and I 100% prefer the Fox. Turner, Devinci and Norco all look like interesting options. I am pretty sure I would prefer an alum bike over carbon if I can get a better component group for the same price. I so have some great components on my hard tail I could swap over on a cheaper build.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly705 View Post
    The one thing I noticed is that a lot of bikes come with the Rockshox Fork in the $3K price range which is one thing I want to avoid. I just sold a HiFi Pro with a Fox Fork and have a hard tail now with a Reba RL on it and I 100% prefer the Fox. Turner, Devinci and Norco all look like interesting options. I am pretty sure I would prefer an alum bike over carbon if I can get a better component group for the same price. I so have some great components on my hard tail I could swap over on a cheaper build.
    A lot of people are going the opposite direction and upgrading their Fox fork with the new Pike. RS is making a great product at the moment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Interesting... I have not personally ridden a Pike, def. something to keep in mind. I have a RS Reba RL 29er now from 2013 and it is so so....

Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    A lot of people are going the opposite direction and upgrading their Fox fork with the new Pike. RS is making a great product at the moment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Just for some info, My aluminum Norco Sight is less than 26 lbs without pedals. Also, no dropper. Stock stem and post. I posted the build in this forum under "2014 Norco Sight Build".
    Last edited by Goldberm; 12-04-2013 at 07:43 AM. Reason: additional infp

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    The Range is probably 3-4lbs heavier than the Sight with a dropper. More travel = more material on the suspension, bigger tires, and the dropper obviously adds some weight.

I'd think a 23-24lbs Sight Carbon is doable though, especially if you go nuts with the carbon (bars, cranks, post, wheels, etc) so that means a Range Carbon could probably get darn close to 26lbs in full carbon bling.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have been browsing around the 27.5 forums and surprised no one has mentioned the Yeti it seems to get pretty good reviews and to my surprise the sb75 is $2900.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Sb75a piqued my interest as well, esp the 2014's with the carbon rear end / more tire clearance.

However, the bike is still 'heavy' and you can get a carbon sight (for example) with similar-ish components for only a little more (no dropper on yeti base package IIRC).

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I too debated between the norco sight and the giant trance. But ended up buying the Giant Trance alum 1 27.5. The reason internal dropper post, xt cranks& rear derailer, and slx brakes. What sealed the deal for me buying the giant was the fox talus fork, If it will help me get to the top of one rooty rocky tech climb and my buddy's don't make it money well spent. I look at it this way anyone can go downhill but if you can make a technical climb that your riding partners don't there is nothing better.
    I really find it difficult to find any fault with the giant Trance alum 1 build only that I have nothing that I need to upgrade and that does make it a little boring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Someone else just mentioned a Kona Process beside the one post above and they really love it, the list goes on and on.... haha...
    I still think the Trance is on the top of my list and the Norco and Turner are creeping up.

KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | ENDURO | PROCESS 153

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The Process 153 is nice but it's a lot of bike. Given all the climbing around here in SoCal I was leaning more towards the 134 iteration. My current list, in no particular order goes:
    Trance x1
    Yeti SB75a
    Norco Sight carbon
    Kona process 134
    RM altitude
    Knolly Endo (I know it's a 26er)
    Devinci Troy carbon

Which doesn't really narrow anything down, feel like that's 3/4 of what's on market. There are definitely some hard choices at this price point, and that's a good thing!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I think the Turner and Scott Genius needs to be added to that list!

The Process 153 is nice but it's a lot of bike. Given all the climbing around here in SoCal I was leaning more towards the 134 iteration. My current list, in no particular order goes:
    Trance x1
    Yeti SB75a
    Norco Sight carbon
    Kona process 134
    RM altitude
    Knolly Endo (I know it's a 26er)
    Devinci Troy carbon

Which doesn't really narrow anything down, feel like that's 3/4 of what's on market. There are definitely some hard choices at this price point, and that's a good thing!

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I vote for either one of these. They are the best 2 options. You may ask why I would say so, but that's not necessary, just take my word for it

Trance x1
    Kona process 134

Of them all the Kona is the fastest looking too. We have demo's of both in case you're interested in trying again.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You know we can't just take your word for it, details please!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    I vote for either one of these. They are the best 2 options. You may ask why I would say so, but that's not necessary, just take my word for it

Trance x1
    Kona process 134

Of them all the Kona is the fastest looking too. We have demo's of both in case you're interested in trying again.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast