Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Long Travel 650b Hardtail - Anyone Riding one/having one built?

I was just wondering.........is anyone riding a long travel (5 inch or more) 650b hardtail?

A Surly Instigator with a 5" Manitou Minute fork was one of the most fun bikes I've ever owned (and I've had my fair share) and I was wondering if anyone else has converted something over or had something purpose built for 5 or 6" of travel up front.

If so, what is it? If you are having it built - what will it look like (geometry -wise)?

I think Cracked Headtube's Quisby 650b uses a Fox 120 up front - but anyone using a Fox 36 or maybe a Nixon with 145mm of travel up front? If so, what head tube angle did you opt for? If I recall - CH's Quisby has a 71 degree HT angle. Anyone doing anything with a 69 or 68.5 degree angle?

Cheers,

Mark

mtbr member

Soon!!

I am waiting on a Sinister Ridge to come in the mail, it will be sporting a fox van 36 up front witha velocity blunt. I havent quite decided to do a 650 rear wheel or not, i have been givin info it will fit in the frame but i might try it with 26" rear to start with. I believe the headangle i around 68 or 68.5 with a 6" travel fork.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    very nice choice, let us know how it rides.

Trophy Husband
    I am contemplating having a custom built steel 650b made up (Curtlo, Waltworks, ?). I would likely use a Pike up front, but I do have a 36 Talas I could use.

Geometry...I like slack angles. My current trailbike (modified Titus Supermoto) has a 66 degree HA. Me likey. I think I'd go for ~68 degree HA on a hardtail with a 518mm a2c and 650b wheel.

I also dig short CS and low(er) BB heights....maybe a 12.25-12.5" BB height.

Would love to have a thru axle rear...not sure if anyone can do those?

edit: 1 issue holding me back is tire selection. IMO, it would nice to have a tire larger than the 2.3 available to help "soften" the ride of a long-travel hardtail.
    Last edited by geolover; 01-02-2009 at 08:59 PM.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member

Thru axel rear

I think it would be sweet to get a rear set up for a RS Maxle, i think i saw someone do that maybe Lenz??? I think 2.3 will be fine with the larger wheel size, i stand up over anything rough anyways, let the fork take the brunt of it.
    My Sinister will be here Monday!!!!!!

Bog

mtbr member
    There are a few Horror Taxi's out there with 5" forks on them... My personal one has a (long)rigid fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice
    There are a few Horror Taxi's out there with 5" forks on them... My personal one has a (long)rigid fork.
    Velvets set at 130mm Mickey?

Any pics???

Oh and Happy New Year! May 2009 bring more great things for you and Spooky Bikes.

Mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Velvets set at 130mm Mickey?

Any pics???

Oh and Happy New Year! May 2009 bring more great things for you and Spooky Bikes.

Mark
    Imagine one extra inch of stanchion on this;

That'd give you 69 head angle and a 12.2 or so bb...

Trophy Husband
    Imagine one extra inch of stanchion on this....
    I keep telling my wife that same thing. She says she really can't imagine it without a test ride .

nothing relevant to say
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    edit: 1 issue holding me back is tire selection. IMO, it would nice to have a tire larger 2.3 available to help "soften" the ride of a long-travel hardtail.
    Neo-Moto (?) it's 2.3" as you wish... and it was the first offroad 650b tire available...

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    Neo-Moto (?) it's 2.3" as you wish... and it was the first offroad 650b tire available...
    Oops, I corrected my statement above...it should read "larger than the 2.3 available".

And bogmonster could be right...2.3 may be enough...but it may not be. I'm getting older and I like a little cushin' for the pushin'. The tire size is not a deal breaker for me...it just gives me some pause.

BTW, SuspectDevice, I like the looks of that Horror Taxi. I checked out the blog but didn't see any geometry figures for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I like the looks of that Horror Taxi. I checked out the blog but didn't see any geometry figures for it.
    Yeah, info was terribly hard to find for me too.

mtbr member
    I've found Mickey to be really responsive to emails. Shoot him a note guys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Yeah, info was terribly hard to find for me too.

You know, I think I clipped out the geometry chart for that in a furtive editing spurt the other day. When I get back to the office I'll try to fix that...

We normally build a medium and a medium/large. The medium is 17"/23"/12"/17"/72/70
    The larger is 18.5/23.6/17/72/70. That's based on a 4" fork and quasimotos...

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    I've found Mickey to be really responsive to emails. Shoot him a note guys.
    Email? That is waaaay too close to personal contact for me .

mtbr member

Over the last month or so I've been rethinking my main trail rig and going with the same as the topic - a long travel 650B HT.

I'm currently running a Sinister GRUITR which I absolutely love but after a few recent rides on my oldie Rhygin w/ one gear, I've been wanting that simple HT singlespeed ride again. The few trails in my imediate area are pretty smooth and I figured the 650B would be nice when I hit up rockier places.

As mentioned in this thread, the Ridge and Spooky Horror Taxi are at my list top as I really want a US made frame (something from the northeast would be even more treats). I had a Ridge before and loved it. Here is a pic from a session @ the Stowe Bike Park: http://defconfour.com/other/islandla...bletop_lo_.jpg I had a longer stem, clips and jacked the seat up and rode the Town XC Loop the day before.

Here is my wish list:

- Able to use the Fox Talas 36. I have it on my GRUITR and love it plus it has the 3 settings for travel. But most of all - I don't feel like spending $1K on a new fork.
    - SS. Would love to set this new rig up with one gear and not use a Rennen or other chain tensioner. EBB or sliders would be fine. I did notice that the Sinister site recently had pics of a sliding dropout setup.
    - Able to get thru a run like this: http://defconfour.com/movies/allaire_don_01.mov which can be found at one of the XC trails in my area. Which 650B hoop is the strongest? I've been totally fine w/ Sun Rhinolites and Singletracks in years past.
    - Able to comfortably ride some miles XC style on the local singletrack.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Don, I think a Ridge would be better for you than a Horror Taxi if you are going to use it for even a moderate amount of jumping. Ask Frank nicely, and I'm sure he'd build you one around 710mm diameter wheels with his new sliding drops.

The Horror taxi is super strong, for an XC race bike. The Ridge on the other hand, is just plain old SUPER strong.
    I'd love to build you a custom bike with slightly heavier tubing and some Paragon drops... It would probably come in around the same weight as a Ridge though, and I'd probably have to charge more than Frank.

I do know that you'd love 650b wheels though....
    -mickey

mtbr member
    Mickey-

Thanks for the honest response. I'll send Frank an email and see what he thinks. His sliders looked really trick from the pics I saw.

I'll send you an email in the next day if you don't mind. As much as I think a Ridge would be great, I always have a strong wanting for steel frames.

I agree about the 650B wheels. I wasn't really turned on by the 29er stuff even after riding one and I'm not one for new standards but the 650B seems like it makes sense. Thanks

mtbr member
    Another Ridge-like option (although also quite a bit different) would be a Soul Cycles Icon - Cracked Headtube has photos of it on his blog with 650b hoops.

I'd say your rim options are best served with Velocity Blunts and or the Sun Ringle Equalizer rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You know, I think I clipped out the geometry chart for that in a furtive editing spurt the other day. When I get back to the office I'll try to fix that...

We normally build a medium and a medium/large. The medium is 17"/23"/12"/17"/72/70
    The larger is 18.5/23.6/17/72/70. That's based on a 4" fork and quasimotos...
    I didn't catch this post earlier. Your STA is really 72*? That is really cool, and the bike sounds good. I think I understand those number you listed, but I'm not 100% sure. Is 17" short for 650B wheels?

Whats the pricing?

mtbr member
    Just saw the pics of the Soul. That looks good - nice lines and porportions w/ the 650B.

I've had good luck with Sun rims - have them on all my bikes so it's great to hear they have a decent hoop available in 650B. Looks like the Equalizer would fit the bill. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    I didn't catch this post earlier. Your STA is really 72*? That is really cool, and the bike sounds good. I think I understand those number you listed, but I'm not 100% sure. Is 17" short for 650B wheels?

Whats the pricing?

yup, 70/72 with 4" forks. Longer stays and slacker seat angles climb better out of the saddle, and make the rider more centered between the wheels, no matter what people who don't have experience in that regard say.... You can fit a 650b in most 16.75" bikes, if they are yoked. 17" is just my favorite chainstay length for new-school xc riding. It's more stable, climbs better, has a decent "sweet spot" for unweighting the front end. Even my personal 29er is 17"....

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Cool thread

Cool to find this, I have a LT hardtail on the way as you all probably know
    And was just thinking, "Hmm, I wonder how 650b wheels would work?"
    I'll still be designing the frame around 26" wheels and running those most of the time, but 650b sounds interesting and I would love to have a bigger wheelset to experiment with.

So if I understand correctly, 560b wheels should work fine on a 26" hardtail frame with clearance for bigger 26" tires and 16.75" stays?

That horror taxi looks great! same drop-outs as the chromag sakura.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Cool thread

So if I understand correctly, 560b wheels should work fine on a 26" hardtail frame with clearance for bigger 26" tires and 16.75" stays?
    Not as easy to just use stay length as a guide for fit. There are other factors...that being said, your Curtlo is using sliders and is being built to use bigger 26" tires, so I bet it is a good candidate for 650b. I'd say go for it.
    Last edited by geolover; 01-08-2009 at 06:56 AM.

Baby Bear is in the house
    I am contemplating having a custom built steel 650b made up (Curtlo, Waltworks, ?). I would likely use a Pike up front, but I do have a 36 Talas I could use.

Geometry...I like slack angles. My current trailbike (modified Titus Supermoto) has a 66 degree HA. Me likey. I think I'd go for ~68 degree HA on a hardtail with a 518mm a2c and 650b wheel.

I also dig short CS and low(er) BB heights....maybe a 12.25-12.5" BB height.

Would love to have a thru axle rear...not sure if anyone can do those?

edit: 1 issue holding me back is tire selection. IMO, it would nice to have a tire larger than the 2.3 available to help "soften" the ride of a long-travel hardtail.
    Reviving this thread before it becomes a year old
    geolover, did that custom 650B project ever push through? Sorry if it did and I missed your post
    I'd be very interested to see it
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast