mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Loaner Wheels.............Kirk????

Consumers can drive the 650b movement forward with just the availabllity of loaner wheels. Unlike early 29ers with very little hardware available, 650b wheels fit on many bikes we already own. Someone (Kirk?) could offer loaner 650b wheels for a modest fee and get feedback from users on clearance issues, specific frame/fork compatablity and overall ride impressions. This would greatly increase the pool of consumers pushing for more 650b "stuff" and the data base would show both manufacturers and consumers just how viable the 650b wheel is. How 'bout it Kirk? Build up some wheels, loan them out for a week or so and require people to add to a database that both potential buyers and potential manufacturers could access.

nothing relevant to say
    Feat, where are you located?

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by feathed
    Consumers can drive the 650b movement forward with just the availabllity of loaner wheels. Unlike early 29ers with very little hardware available, 650b wheels fit on many bikes we already own. Someone (Kirk?) could offer loaner 650b wheels for a modest fee and get feedback from users on clearance issues, specific frame/fork compatablity and overall ride impressions. This would greatly increase the pool of consumers pushing for more 650b "stuff" and the data base would show both manufacturers and consumers just how viable the 650b wheel is. How 'bout it Kirk? Build up some wheels, loan them out for a week or so and require people to add to a database that both potential buyers and potential manufacturers could access.

I think it's a great idea, and one that I suggested in another thread some months ago. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to offer this. I think there are several companies who could create a demo program with relative ease though.

I would suggest contacting Sun, Velocity, American Classic, Industry Nine and maybe Stan's with this idea. There may be other wheel builders open to a similar program too...

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    Feat, where are you located?
    Fort Collins, CO

nothing relevant to say
    Kirk, I, personally, will try to do this in the near future. I need a larger wheel/tire inventory first.
    FEAT
    Contact YipSan Bicycles. Renold is awesome, and he rides 650B. He has both Quasi Motos and Neos in his posession. AND he's in FT Collins.

mtbr member
    I've been letting ride buddies borrow my rear wheel from the Carver to test for clearance on certain FS frames.

Note - it won't work on a Morewood Shova ST unfortunately.

Mark

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Anybody know if I can get a loaner/demo wheel in seattle?

Silence and Thunder...
    ...you should get these guys on board...
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mo...kes/demo-wheel
    ...every day sends future to past...

www.derbyrims.com
    I suggest you buy some 650b wheels with either the Neo or Quasi Moto tires. Even if the rear doesn’t fit your current ride, you'll want it to test fit your next ride.

You can use the front now with most forks for immediately noticeable ride improvement, the rear adds comfort, further rolling resistance gain, braking power, and maintains designed frame fit and balance.

650b is the future for all types of trail riding and racing no matter the amount of travel and rider size. It is the next epical performance improvement of mainstream mountain bikes. It's really as big in performance improvement as going from rigid to front suspension was.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    I suggest you buy some 650b wheels with either the Neo or Quasi Moto tires. Even if the rear doesn’t fit your current ride, you'll want it to test fit your next ride.

You can use the front now with most forks for immediately noticeable ride improvement, the rear adds comfort, further rolling resistance gain, braking power, and maintains designed frame fit and balance.

650b is the future for all types of trail riding and racing no matter the amount of travel and rider size. It is the next epical performance improvement of mainstream mountain bikes. It's really as big in performance improvement as going from rigid to front suspension was.
    derby is sold!

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

Derby,

Did you ever hook up with Hans to let him test your wheels?

Cheers,

KP

Pacenti Cycle Design

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    derby is sold!
    Ha! You bet! I was sold on a “27” inch wheel size many years ago after testing the first 29’ers produced in 2001?, and wishing back then for the improved rolling but lighter and more nimble than the 29 wheels and frames, thinking then that a "27" wheel size would be about right. Now finally thanks to Kirk Pacenti I’m riding my long desired wheel size.

650b gives 95% of the rolling and grip advantages of 29er plus maintaining the optimum gear ratios, low wheel and frame weight, low flex, and compact frame designs of 26 design. 650b is far superior to 26 or 29 size, a real 100% no-compromise huge performance advance, and one of the lowest cost upgrades possible to many 26 inch frames now.

I’ve been riding trails since the mid ‘60’s. Starting on Shwinn Cruiser and Sting-Ray bikes on trails, braking frames on dirt jump tracks we built in the ‘60’s. I was into surfing during the later “pioneer” days in the later 70’s, but experienced every epical performance upgrade in trail biking over the years. And this 650b mountain bike wheel size is the next epical upgrade in mountain biking. Way bigger than 29 wheels ever will be. The improvement is so big it’s inevitable. I’m not exaggerating!

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Ha! You bet! I was sold on a “27” inch wheel size many years ago after testing the first 29’ers produced in 2001?, and wishing back then for the improved rolling but lighter and more nimble than the 29 wheels and frames, thinking then that a "27" wheel size would be about right. Now finally thanks to Kirk Pacenti I’m riding my long desired wheel size.

650b gives 95% of the rolling and grip advantages of 29er plus maintaining the optimum gear ratios, low wheel and frame weight, low flex, and compact frame designs of 26 design. 650b is far superior to 26 or 29 size, a real 100% no-compromise huge performance advance, and one of the lowest cost upgrades possible to many 26 inch frames now.

I’ve been riding trails since the mid ‘60’s. Starting on Shwinn Cruiser and Sting-Ray bikes on trails, braking frames on dirt jump tracks we built in the ‘60’s. I was into surfing during the later “pioneer” days in the later 70’s, but experienced every epical performance upgrade in trail biking over the years. And this 650b mountain bike wheel size is the next epical upgrade in mountain biking. Way bigger than 29 wheels ever will be. The improvement is so big it’s inevitable. I’m not exaggerating!
    Derby,

what do you do for a day job? You could write my copy any time!

Fwiw, someone on the bikeradar.com site said that he read an interview with Keith Bontrager in a UK MTB mag about 10 years ago. Apparently, KB came to the same conclusion as you did; that 27" wheels would be about perfect for MTB's.

I had no knowledge about his thoughts on this prior to doing my 650B tires, and I have not been able to track down that article since learning of it. But I do think it's pretty cool that it's on the record "somewhere". It certainly doesn't hurt my my position any, even if KB's comments were based strictly in the conceptual realm.

Cheers,

KP

Pacenti Cycle Design

www.derbyrims.com
    I'm optimistic an Ibis brand prototype 650b Mojo swingarm could be produced by Sea Otter in April. A hardtail 650b Tranny prototype would be just as easy to do too.

mtbr member
    I'm optimistic an Ibis brand prototype 650b Mojo swingarm could be produced by Sea Otter in April. A hardtail 650b Tranny prototype would be just as easy to do too.
    Do you know something you'd like to share? Please.....lol..

I'd sign up for some prototype testing, you know some big rocks, roots, and bigs climbing eastcoast testing

A 650b SS Tranny would also make that bike a must buy... But a full on 650b Mojo would just be the bees knee!

share if you can...

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by VTmojo
    Do you know something you'd like to share? Please.....lol..

I'd sign up for some prototype testing, you know some big rocks, roots, and bigs climbing eastcoast testing

A 650b SS Tranny would also make that bike a must buy... But a full on 650b Mojo would just be the bees knee!

share if you can...
    As many Ibis customers are aware, they are very responsive to our email questions.

I don't think I get extra special attention to my emails about wanting a 650b swingarm. I've revealed all the hopes I have here. They do hear me. They also revealed are extremely busy this month with ongoing newer projects and trying to fill the demands for current product before they can give much attention to developing 650b.

mtbr member
    As many Ibis customers are aware, they are very responsive to our email questions.

I don't think I get extra special attention to my emails about wanting a 650b swingarm. I've revealed all the hopes I have here. They do hear me. They also revealed are extremely busy this month with ongoing newer projects and trying to fill the demands for current product before they can give much attention to developing 650b.

Thanks Derby. Maybe if enough of us express interest it may speed things up, although that's not Ibis's way is it? Quality over Qty.. Your April date seamed very optimistic, I thought you may have had some inside info..

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Derby,

I think I overheard Hans say that each frame takes 35 hours to build! That is a LONG time, it's no wonder they are behind.

I asked Hans (Ibis' first year back in business) if they would offer an aluminum model.... "maybe" was what he said. If so, it could really speed up the development of new projects.

Cheers,

KP

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Loaner wheels in AUS

If anyone in Aussie land wants to try 650b for themselves, we can probably organise it, through ourselves or one of our dealers,

info@definitivecycles.com.au

we have a couple of demo wheelsets and also have Neos, and Quasis available for demo. contact us and we will try our best to get you on a set of wheels. Also look out for us at a few events.

Cheers
    Stu