Wrench

A little Jamis Love

When I was turning screws to pay for beans and beer, I worked at a Jamis dealer.

I've spoken with the reps, the sales people, the designers, just about everyone save for the administration. They never answered my emails (That usually started with "Hey, when am I getting my full team kit?)...

Anyway, I'd like to see a few guys rocking the 650b Jamis line. They had 650b trail bikes years before any of the other niche companies came out.

Sadly, I don't own one of their 130mm bikes. I'm stuck on my 22.5 pound Nemesis, but you wont find me complaining. It's FAST.

A little Jamis Love-imag1433.jpg

But sometimes I don't feel like dropping everyone. When that's the case, I bring out the fun bike. More relaxed geometry, 26" hoops, old parts, SS, beautiful paint job ("What are the new colors for this year, Johnson?" "How about 'Dirt', Sir?" "Johnson, you're a genius.")

A little Jamis Love-imag0251.jpg

Every time I've talked with a rep or customer service person from Jamis I've been impressed with how nice and easy to deal with they were. They were recently at a local CX/short track MTB race here in Austin and after talking to them for a little while, one of the reps hooked me up with a bottle opener and a beer to go with it!

I see another "Where are the trail bikes?" "Which trail bike?" "Need a good trail bike!" thread start up here just about every day. No one seems to look at Jamis these days, which sucks. They were supporting and pushing 650b before most other companies.

So if you've got one, throw it up. I'm headed out for a ride!

mtbr member
    Jamis bikes suck! Such a horrible company. Crappy bikes that break and the company does not stand behind their products. I will never buy another Jamis.
    aka Aa ron

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by exocetaaron View Post
    Jamis bikes suck! Such a horrible company. Crappy bikes that break and the company does not stand behind their products. I will never buy another Jamis.
    ummm not true at all,.. I don't own one personally but a few friends I know do and Jamis has been AWESOME with service and replacement parts. One time a friend purchased a 650B on Fleabay and the frame broke which Jamis replaced without a question in less than a week.

Jamis bikes are generally in the lower price range, you can't expect a bike costing 1/2 that of the big names and/or to take a XC bike and use it free ride or downhill style and expect them to Warr it...
    (not saying you did but 80% of everyone I've heard whine about Warr and broken frames are doing just that, and not just from Jamis)

Jamis is pretty good about Warr, if you're having issues I'd say try another shop as it's more than likely them not working for you.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Wrench
    Interesting view! Tell me, what experience do you have with Jamis?

Quote Originally Posted by exocetaaron View Post
    Considering I worked for 3 years at an L3 dealer and saw the following frame issues:

2 XCT (early models) with a linkage crack (That was warrantied no questions asked)

1 crack in a carbon Xenith road bike (that the 200 pound owner kept jumping off curbs). Small crack near the seat tube and top tube. Warrantied without issue.

1 alloy 26" Dakota XC hardtail that was used as a park/jump bike. Cracked seatstay. Jamis replaced it WITH a Komodo (which is an AM hardtail).

That's it. I've worked with other brands that have a worse track record than that.

Jamis isn't a tiny company, and they have been in the modern bike business since 1979. Their XC MTB team did awesome this year, they had podiums at Tour De California, and their Cyclocross team is on the podium nearly every weekend this season.

I'm not defending them because I'm super brand loyal (Raced a Santa Cruz frame for nearly three years), but rather giving my experience.

Anecdotal my experience may be, I can assure you that I've worked on more of their bikes than you have.

mtbr member
    They are on my radar for a next bike. Seems like they have some good price point 650b bikes.

The White Jeff W
    They took good care of me when my Sixfifty broke, even though I bought it on ebay. Sent replacement parts directly to me without going thru the dealer. When I realized I also needed pivot bolts they sent those right away. The bike was nice enough but just never made me all tingly so I moved it on.

A little Jamis Love-100_0607.jpg

A little Jamis Love-100_0609.jpg

A little Jamis Love-100_0613.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]855078[/ATTACH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A little Jamis Love-uploadfromtaptalk1365274996629.jpg  

Last edited by jeffw-13; 12-17-2013 at 10:31 AM.
    No moss...

Ellsdemon
    They are on my short list for the next bike, looking forward to demoing them this spring

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    ]They took good care of me when my Sixfifty broke.
    Nice! I like that old 650b. That was one of the bikes that I had to help warranty, actually. I don't know who was making their rear triangle, but I don't think the QC was up to snuff. Since then they have changed their design. It was also one of their first F/S 650b bikes. I liked the geometry of it, but it's definitely not as slack as other offerings out there today.

mtbr member
    I broke a Komodo frame after riding it for over 4 years and they were quick to replace it. No questions asked. My wife has been on a Parker for 4 years and its converted to 650 and has been great. She just got a new Dakar last week.
    09 Ventana El Bastardo 650b
    10 Banshee Viento

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've been really happy with my 2010 650b1. With the Neo-Motos and an RP23, I'm still not so sure I don't like it better than my new Scott Genius.

A little Jamis Love-mtb.jpg

mtbr member
    I just bought a new 2012 AMT. I had been interested in the bike for a while but it was near impossible to find any ride reports or reviews on the bike. For some reason that bike failed to sell well and might have made potential buyers a little weary.

mtbr member
    All bikes suck. Not just Jamis. And I'll tell you why. I spend too much money on them, that's why.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

usually cranky
    i have an 08 xam still going strong. only thing i can knock it for is the frame weight. and no cage mounts on the top of the down tube.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I currently work for a L3 dealer and Jamis is the brand we sell the most. I've been very impressed not only by their 650b line but even more so their line of steel bikes. Few large companies these days make as many Steel bikes throughout all their lines like Jamis does and i must say they all ride really well. My co-worker rides the Dragon 650b and I just got this beauty. I see your alloy Nemesis and raise you Carbon.

A little Jamis Love-photo-4-14-20-19.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I was looking at their CX bikes and for the price they make some really nice bikes.

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Peanuts View Post
    I see your alloy Nemesis and raise you Carbon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (4) 14-20-19.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	855743
    I see your Sram, and I automatically win.

Great looking bike. I have a friend who runs a shop that's about to pick up the Nemesis Pro. I'm quite upset.

And yes, Jamis has a fantastic line of steel bikes. I'd say they are some of the best frames out there for steel trail bikes.

dwt
    mtbr member

A little Jamis Love

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    I've been really happy with my 2010 650b1. With the Neo-Motos and an RP23, I'm still not so sure I don't like it better than my new Scott Genius.
    That is one heck of an endorsement of Jamis (or slam of Scott ) considering the huge difference in price points of the bikes.

I've been mainly on a 2010 650b2 from the time I bought one of those incredible close outs on eBay in 2011 (less than 50% of original retail). Paid for it from 26'er parts ( frame, forks wheels sold on eBay). Over the past few years I have converted the drivetrain to 1X10 and slackened the HTA from stock 69* to 67.5* with a Works Components angleset.

Liking 130 mm of suspension, I would definitely consider another Jamis, especially if they sell one with carbon frame and HTA slackened.

I also ride a TBc which is a good 4lbs lighter, to be expected with a cross country bike vs. trail bike. The Jamis is my go to fun bike for solo rides in rocky terrain. The TB is used on hammerhead group rides when not getting dropped is a concern.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm sure I'll like the Genius better once I get it sorted out; I was just trying to make the point that the Jamis is an excellent ride.

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post
    I was looking at their CX bikes and for the price they make some really nice bikes.
    A little Jamis Love-nova-pro.jpg

Love my Nova Pro. 2009 frame. I built it as a multi-use Road training and CX race bike. It's definitely survived a few Barton Creek Greenbelt trips as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Another good point to make about Jamis's line is that now all the CX bikes are disc brake, they made the move pretty quick.

And yes i also wish i had Shimano instead of SRAM on the Nemesis Pro, especially a nicer crank and not those Avid brakes. But thats something i can work on later. The frame geometry is awesome.