Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trail Rider
    Apr 2007

Let's see those 69er's

Post up your 69ers! I would like to get some ideas!
    I am riding a Carver right now, and I am looking to do another one in full suspension!

mtbr member
    '08 Trek Top Fuel 69er built up with a Maverick SC32 fork

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    08 with Reba Fork and the best plastic pedals I could find Egg beaters were broke

Master of the Obvious
    Here is me racing my 69er last November at "Attila the Hun" Hot Springs, AR.

Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus
    Here is me racing my 69er last November at "Attila the Hun" Hot Springs, AR.

I miss riding in the Southeast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    [IMG][/IMG]

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    From that angle, that Moots looks like it has the same size wheels.

mtbr member
    My DEAN Ace set up SS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My Moots Smoothie...

mtbr member
    I guess your Moots would be a B6er with that 650b up front. Either way - sweet sweet fully!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I rode that Smoothie this morning, and let me just say how awesome it is. I rode it when it was 26", and the front end seamed to fall away from you when things got off camber, or steep. Not anymore. I'm not sure if tennesseeti will get this one back. Schwinn Homegrown B6er to come.

I usually ride 69er, and thought I would miss the bigger front wheel, but I think I'll start working on a 650B front wheel set up of my own now.

Motobey

Question

Let me get this ? Basically you take a 26 bike and change the front end to 29, is that it?
    How does it help?
    "Si todos saben lo que ay que hacer por que tenemos problemas" Choose xpst.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Its a 650b front end... it just hooks up everything, rollls over stuff easier, and when you get out of the saddle on climbs it seems more like a road bike... I dunno, I'm short, so a 29er is a little much for me, but a 650 is just right...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mstguide
    Let me get this ? Basically you take a 26 bike and change the front end to 29, is that it?
    How does it help?
    The larger wheel attacks trail obstacles at a better angle if you will thus allowing you to roll over trail obstacles (rocks, roots, logs etc.) easier than a 26" wheel. It also provides a greater sense of front end stability if you will when paired up with the appropriate fork and on the appropriate frame. Some frames will become "floppy" up front with a 29er or maybe even a 650b front wheel, whereas others may actually become less twitchy and more "stable" with the larger diameter wheelsize in front.

Does that help explain things a bit?

Motobey
    How does it help?
    650b is a bigger tire than a 26" rim, so where can you find the bigger rim? ( I guess you can use a road rim) How about the brakes like with the disc brakes, do you have to change rotor size? Where do you find the fat 650b?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    MMcG has hit it on the head as far as the front end goes. As for the rear end, for me a 29 inch rear wheel was OK, but it seamed to kick the back end up over logs and rocks, and when you roll off of a steep drop, it made the angle a little uncomfortable for me. The 26 inch rear wheel solves all those issues. I can hop the rear end over logs, and have more confidence on steep drops.

The 650B had the grip like a 29 inch wheel, but it was a lot quicker handling in the tight stuff. I can't wait to build up a 650B bike for myself.

Thanks for the loner tennesseeti, sorry about the dirt all over it.

Motobey

build one

I have an older schwinn and I may make it a 650b if I can find some good deals.
    I also think that making it a 29r front end may not be a bad idea, 650b is close to 29r, I have to feel the geometry to really know the difference.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    tennesseeti and I did a 69er with an old homegrown last year. We used a Bontrager 26" rigid fork. There was a little toe overlap but not really that bad. The frame was a 15 " and a little small for me, but I loved riding it. That frame is up next for a full 650B conversion front and rear. I can't wait.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle
    tennesseeti and I did a 69er with an old homegrown last year. We used a Bontrager 26" rigid fork. There was a little toe overlap but not really that bad. The frame was a 15 " and a little small for me, but I loved riding it. That frame is up next for a full 650B conversion front and rear. I can't wait.
    I have a Schwinn Moab that I liked. I can't fit a 650B in the rear. I also won't fit in the front fork, But I'm sure I have some rigid fork around I could try.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    650b is a bigger tire than a 26" rim, so where can you find the bigger rim? ( I guess you can use a road rim) How about the brakes like with the disc brakes, do you have to change rotor size? Where do you find the fat 650b?
    Just get a 650b rim/tire, and lace up a mtn bike hub (disc) the brakes are the same, only issues will be clearance and headtube angle... these two issues are ubiquitous, but fox forks work, and no need to change rotors or anything like that...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Mine was once a 69er w/ rigid fork

Then I got a Manitou Minute 29 fork...

Right now it's a 650B front & rear w/ Minute 29 fork and I like it a lot.
    The steering is much faster (and better) then 69er setup.
    I tried "6Beer" (650B front, 26 back.) set up today and see if by using
    26 in the back will make my climb easier(same gear ratio) for the race this weekend.
    Yes, the climb on pavement road is easy. But for off road riding, the big wheel rules!!

So I change it back to 650B.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Here's my Giant Rincon 69er.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

69'ed Surly 1x1

I know its not the best photo, but here it is. Currently it is setup for desert hardpack, it hasn't rained much down here in NM for a while. It rides surprising well, so much so, I sold my Reba to fund a lighter front wheel.

Motobey
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM
    Here's my Giant Rincon 69er.
    how is your bashguard on logs?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    how is your bashguard on logs?
    Works pretty well. I've bashed it against a few rocks and it does well to protect the chainrings. I believe BBG's have a lifetime warranty now. Wreck it and they will replace it for free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast