Figured I'd post my steps for setting LB carbon rims up tubeless since the steps below resulted in the easiest tubeless setup I've done in my 12 years of running tubeless tires:
1. Make sure rim is clean, since mine were brand new I simply ran a dry cotten cloth around it to see if there were any places it would catch on anything. It's easiest to do this on a wheel stand but I just mounted the wheel to the bike in a bike stand which works fine as well. Watch this video then read my steps below. Skip the step of roughening up with scotchbrite and don't use the cleaner. http://www.notubes.com/helpcenter/videopopup.php?id=6
2. Take a role of 1" Gorilla tape from Home Depot. Follow the process Notubes has on the video for putting the tape on, exactly the same for this step accept since there's no weld to start on I just picked the spot opposite the valve hole between two nipple holes.
3. As in Notubes video, cut an X in the tape over the valve hole using a razor but don't use a round file like as shown in the video since we're dealing with carbon here. I simply pushed a BIC ballpoint pen through the hole to push the tape down in the right direction.
4. Install valve stem, any tubeless valve stem will work. I used a spare Mavic UST on the front and a cut out Presta tube valve stem for the rear. Both worked fine so if you have old presta tubes laying around I suggest saving your money and cut your own.
5. Using Schwalbe's Easy Fit Tire Mounting Fluid Amazon.com: Schwalbe Easy Fit Tire Mounting Fluid, For Use With Tube Type Or Ust: Sports & Outdoors I ran the applicator directly on the tape which allows the bead to move and not get hung up, then I ran the applicator around the bead and slightly up the sidewalls of the tire. With this stuff I easily mounted the WTB tires with my fingers. So easy that on the first one I forgot to put the Notubes sealant in but it still inflated so I let it sit over night then added the sealant the next day. For 650b tires I used a cup and a half of the Notubes sealant (little red scoop that comes with the bottle).
This was by far the easiest and most successful tubeless mount I've ever done. Replacing the WTB tires with some Schwalbe RR this coming weekend so I'll report back if it's just as easy with those tires too which I expect it will be.
Any other methods I'd love to hear but after two rides including a very tech rocky ride yesterday this is holding up great.
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Thread: LB Carbon Rims Tubeless Setup