Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

LaPierre 27.5 Anyone riding one with feedback?

My local shop just started carrying them the Zesty 427 looks nice for $3k
    In the market for 27.5 but know nothing about these. Thanks

Lapierre Bicycles - Zesty AM 427

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Now I know why I can't find much info online about them, not many peeps ride them around here, haha....

mtbr member
    Hard to find much on them since they didn't sell them in the US until a few months ago and most of the orders haven't shipped yet.

That said my Zesty 527 should have shipped today so look for some pictures and a mini review later this week

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I did not know that, can't wait to read up on your review.

Quote Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
    Hard to find much on them since they didn't sell them in the US until a few months ago and most of the orders haven't shipped yet.

That said my Zesty 527 should have shipped today so look for some pictures and a mini review later this week

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Zesty?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    LaPierre 27.5 150MM trail Bike

Lapierre Bicycles - Zesty AM 427

Quote Originally Posted by Snopro440 View Post
    Zesty?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    No I got it, it's just the name.. Zesty... I just think the name is weird...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Jolly,
    I don’t know if it helps, but I test rode a Spicy, which is a Zesty with 10mm more travel, resulting in it being a little slacker as well. It was an ei Spicy with 275s.

I test rode it back to back with the new Zesty 29er, then a Mach 6 and a Bronson.

I like the new larger front geo on these bikes, Zesty and Spicy, very comfortable and good for aggressive riding. You can really load up the front grip. The ei definitely works and definitely improves climbing and flat track work. I rode a few up sections with the rear shock in open and it felt like a big bike that climbs okay. It was slower going, fine in tech, but for grinding away, it was slower. Reminded me of big AM bikes a few years ago. With the ei on, it was a more modern performance, and grinding was better.

The Spicy (and therefore by extension to some extent, the Zesty) was best at going down. It was very good. Confident and capable and with the shortish chain stay, you could really back it into some berms and smile. Hit the rougher and steep stuff, no worries at all. Mono, great, nearly fell off the back over some chunk at one stage, had to laugh at myself and say out loud “check, monos fine”.

For me the top 3 bikes in this travel area are the Mach 6, Bronson and Spicy. The Mach 6 and Bronson climb quicker than the Spicy, but to its credit, the Spicy bettered them on the downs. Then throw in some turns on the downs, and the Spicy relishes it even more. Back to you, the Zesty, with the some front frame, will be a very good bike too. Super fun on the downs.

My feeling is, if you do more shuttle work, then Spicy is trumps, but if you have to earn your turns, it does it fine, but a Mach 6 and Bronson will do it a little easier. Depends where your preference is, where and how you like to ride. Zesty with less travel will be a little spritelier. Cheers W

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    Hi Jolly,
    I don’t know if it helps, but I test rode a Spicy, which is a Zesty with 10mm more travel, resulting in it being a little slacker as well. It was an ei Spicy with 275s.

I test rode it back to back with the new Zesty 29er, then a Mach 6 and a Bronson.

I like the new larger front geo on these bikes, Zesty and Spicy, very comfortable and good for aggressive riding. You can really load up the front grip. The ei definitely works and definitely improves climbing and flat track work. I rode a few up sections with the rear shock in open and it felt like a big bike that climbs okay. It was slower going, fine in tech, but for grinding away, it was slower. Reminded me of big AM bikes a few years ago. With the ei on, it was a more modern performance, and grinding was better.

The Spicy (and therefore by extension to some extent, the Zesty) was best at going down. It was very good. Confident and capable and with the shortish chain stay, you could really back it into some berms and smile. Hit the rougher and steep stuff, no worries at all. Mono, great, nearly fell off the back over some chunk at one stage, had to laugh at myself and say out loud “check, monos fine”.

For me the top 3 bikes in this travel area are the Mach 6, Bronson and Spicy. The Mach 6 and Bronson climb quicker than the Spicy, but to its credit, the Spicy bettered them on the downs. Then throw in some turns on the downs, and the Spicy relishes it even more. Back to you, the Zesty, with the some front frame, will be a very good bike too. Super fun on the downs.

My feeling is, if you do more shuttle work, then Spicy is trumps, but if you have to earn your turns, it does it fine, but a Mach 6 and Bronson will do it a little easier. Depends where your preference is, where and how you like to ride. Zesty with less travel will be a little spritelier. Cheers W
    sorry to hijack - but WilliamK, I would be interested to hear your impressions of M6 v. Bronson - thanks

mtbr member
    Don't want to hijack as well, but don't some of the riding observations come down to things such as body size (of the tester) and the fit of the particular bike geometry to the rider?

Also, what about tires. Did each of the bikes mentioned above have the same tires, and size of tires?

I know when I change tires on any one of my bikes I can tell the difference. Especially when it comes to things like climbing. In all fairness I don't think one person can be the deciding judge for three bikes.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Vertex 990 RSL
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Lapierre is a well known brand over here in europe. For 2014 the Spicy and Zesty models share the same frame and only the forks and component spec differs from each other.
    So you could buy a Zesty, change the fork to a Pike for example and you have a Spicy.
    I too got the chance to ride one.
    Build quality is very good and there are no things to complain about. While the frame and seatstays are full carbon the chainstays are made from Lapierres supreme 6 aluminum which should be really strong (ok, that's what they claim at least. ).
    The bike came equipped with XX1 and Ei Shock + Pike in front. Sizing is good and the large one fits me very well with the 50mm stem (being 184cm tall). In the parking lot it felt light and nimble. It was easy to manual or doing wheelies too. On the trail it was snappy and a really good ride.
    On the first climb with the Ei in open position the suspension felt better than the Specialized FSR but being a fully active 4-Bar suspension it didn't climb as strong as my Bronson (with custom suspension). Now it was time to turn the Ei into 'Auto' mode on the remote (it makes 'sirrrr' noices when changing settings). On the next climb I immediately noticed a big difference! The rear suspension almost felt like that of an XC race bike, no more wobbling! Back on a little downhill the suspension was fully active again. Nice!
    On a little longer descent the Lapierre really shows its capability and this should be no surprice when you know that Mr. Downhill Nicolas Vouilloz was heavily involved in development.
    The bike felt stable at speed and was easy to throw around in the corners. Very good and handling and with the roomier cockpit compared to my Bronson I felt comfy on it. The suspension was a bit on the firmer side which is the shock I think (but I haven't had much time to play with the pressure).
    You also notice the shorter chainstays when you are coming from a Bronson and I think that might be a reason why the Lapierre still felt nimble while being very stable at speed.

To sum it up: I really liked it and it is on my short list for a new rig.
    I think suspension will be a bit plusher on the downhills when you put in a Monarch Plus RC3 or Float X. Or maybe Rock Shocks will offer a Ei Monarch Plus one day?
    I really wish I could ride one of those new Orbea Rallon bikes and the new GT Force too to compare it with the Lapierre but what I can say for sure is that you won't be disappointed when going with the Lapierre. I don't know pricing in the US but over here in europe they are reasonable priced compared with the competition.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Great replies and thanks for the feedback. I guess since they are just arriving in the states there have not been many reviews and write ups. The pricing seems pretty good in the States. I am going to check the Zesty out next week at my LBS. So far leading my hunt for a new bike is the SC 5010 with the Zesty not to far behind. I do like the Trance as I rode it for 25 miles last summer but not in love with the "looks" this year.
    Decisions, decisions.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I ride a Solo C, in the C variety it will be lighter and climb a little better. Great for trails. The Zesty will better it on the downs though. Choose something that suits the trails you ride the most. Have fun testing. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Found out yesterday my bikes ship date has been pushed back to the end of December now. I ordered it at the end of September so I thought it would be here by now but I guess with the good pricing also came with a wait.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    What's "mono?"
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    What's "mono?"
    My guess would be mono = manual.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My top 3 picks for 2014 ! Lapierre Spicy, Knolly Warden, Pivot Mach 6. Can't go wrong with any of them. It's going to come down to which local shop gives me the best services. I live in B.C where Knolly is made, that's a huge bonus. The reports and results of the new Spicy are just to good to ignore. All 3 manufactures too their time to build these bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    2014 Top Picks !
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Lapierre Spicy

I own a Lapierre Spicy 327 (my training bike) and I'm waiting for a Spicy Team (my racing bike) that will arrive soon. These are fantastic bikes. These are not XC bikes but you can clinb very well. The fun starts when you go downhill: the bike is precise, predictable, stable and reactive. The last season I raced with a Scott Genius LT and with the Spicy (with the 327) I feel faster: I cannot figure out how faster can I feel with the Spicy Team ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm stuck deciding between the Zesty AM 527 and the Zesty TR529. I ride big back country and also some technical steep single track. Love the 150mm on the AM but concerned about the climbing ability vs the TR. Head Angle 67 on the AM vs 69 on the TR. All my riding mates ride 29ers so dont want them to kill me on the climbs.

Which one to choose???

mtbr member
    Anyone know if a frame only option is available in the U.S? Also, what eye to eye & stroke shock sizes are on the Spicy?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Anyone know if a frame only option is available in the U.S? Also, what eye to eye & stroke shock sizes are on the Spicy?
    I placed a call to a dealer in my city before the holidays asking the same thing, I should have an answer at the end of the week. If they offer frame only in B.C Canada, they will offer it in the US. I do know they offer frames in the UK. Go to twelve50bikes.com go to the Spicy or the Zesty and they state : available also as a frame only so you can custom build one yourself, or we can help you with that! Also : Overseas residents are responsible for any import duty levied in their own countries. Twelve50 Bikes will provide a full UK VAT invoice on the outside of the packaging for Customs purposes. So you can get a frame only sent to you if your dealers can't. Trying to dig for your shock info.

Cheers

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    For 2014 these are available as frame only;
    DH Team
    Pro Race 929
    XR 929
    Spicy Team

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have the 427, if your in SOCal you can go to bikeco.com in Mission Viejo and check them out. I have to say that the top tube is perfect for enduro/trail riding. I think the bike climbs amazing. I have the trek slash 9 and a Scott Spark 910 and the Zesty climbed like my Scott and rode down hill like my Slash. Perfect blend I was very pleased with the overall performance. The only thing that I would really change about the bike is the fork = Pike or a fox34.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Has anyone that rode a 2014 Spicy or Zesty any comments or issues with the chainstay width. I have seen in some early reviews that the chainstays are so wide that your heels tend to hit the chain/seat stays on a regular basis to a level where if you use Clipless pedals this could cause knee issue over time from twisting your heels outwards to avoid the stays. I am a size 11 foot and this is the only concern I have with the Zesty?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast