mtbr member
    May 2013

Kona Process 153 DL vs Santa Cruz Solo SPX vs Turner Burner Expert

I've started researching my next bike, these are ones that have grabbed my attention. I live in S Florida so I realize these probably overkill for where I live. I'm planning some trips to NC in the future where Pisgah and the Dupont area trails would be on the menu. The Process looks to be a laundry list of what I'm looking for on a build. The Santa Cruz offerings are enticing too, even a Bronson or Heckler could be possibilities. Someone who owns a Kona told me to check out Turner and being made in the USA appeals to me. I'm in no rush on this , I'm interested in seeing what the new GT Sensor's and Force look like price wise before making the decision. I understand that some of my choices might be in different catagories of the sport , which is why I'm asking for opinions. I'm going to have to take some road trips to test ride them all as I haven't seen a local shop that carries these brands. I'm interested in what owners of these bikes think about them. Thanks.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If you live near a GT dealer I'd go in and ask, or call even. I know we have the prices and 2014 catalog already at my shop, and have for a little while now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Wink I can at least speak to the Solo

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue426 View Post
    I've started researching my next bike, these are ones that have grabbed my attention. I live in S Florida so I realize these probably overkill for where I live. I'm planning some trips to NC in the future where Pisgah and the Dupont area trails would be on the menu. The Process looks to be a laundry list of what I'm looking for on a build. The Santa Cruz offerings are enticing too, even a Bronson or Heckler could be possibilities. Someone who owns a Kona told me to check out Turner and being made in the USA appeals to me. I'm in no rush on this , I'm interested in seeing what the new GT Sensor's and Force look like price wise before making the decision. I understand that some of my choices might be in different catagories of the sport , which is why I'm asking for opinions. I'm going to have to take some road trips to test ride them all as I haven't seen a local shop that carries these brands. I'm interested in what owners of these bikes think about them. Thanks.
    I live/ride in the Colorado Front Range now, but used to live/ride near Markham and Oleta in So Fla. I still miss riding there on occasion :-) No killer mountain climbs like here.

Anyway, I have the Solo C and will tell you that it would handle superbly in the tight twisty singletrack down there. It is nimble and is the ultimate point and shoot bike. On the downside, the BB height is on the low end, so you might experience a few pedal strikes on the roots (it will teach you to keep your pedals and 9 and 3). Maybe take a look at the Bronson, which is basically a more AM version of the Solo as well. I don't think either would be too much bike for where you ride. In fact, I have wondered what my Solo would be like back in Markham

mtbr member
    Just something to keep in mind... Santa Cruz has a lifetime bearing replacement program. Plus the Solo, like all their VPP frames, has grease ports to keep the crud out of the lower link. These could be some benefits to riding in sandy FL soil.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I think you comparing tangerines to oranges. The Kona with 134 mm travel is much closer to the Solo. The Burner has 140mm rear travel but many are running it with a longer fork and using it as a more all mountain bike. The solo is 125mm IIRC>
    I would actually compare Solo, Kona 134, and Flux. Or Burner, 153, and Bronson.

mtbr member
    May 2013

I understand the comparisons might seem off a bit.

I'm not tied into a certain amount of travel or even a style of bike. The Process 153 vs Bronson vs Burner does make sense now that I see it on paper so to speak. After some searching there are a couple of places that sell Santa Cruz in my local area.Supposedly there's a place in Miami that is a demo center for Turner and a Kona dealer isnt as far away as I thought.
    I like that the SC and Turners have grease fittings. The Burner doesnt have a dropper post like the other two.I guess it's time to start test ridng and see what fits me best.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940