mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Kona Cowan DS Frame - Possible or not?

Does anyone know if the Cowan DS frame will accept a 650B. It's got the sliding dropouts. This would make a nice FS 650.
    Attached Images Attached Images

www.derbyrims.com
    Tape measure 14 inches (27.5 / 2 = 13.75 wheel OD) from the axle drop outs to where the tire would hit the crowns of each rear stay. Also compress your shock (let the air out) and see if 14 inches from the drop out would hit the seat tube anywhere. With a coil shock you could limit travel if it interfered with the seat tube at bottom out with a custom u-shaped plastic shim slipped under the bumper and use a heavier weight spring.

This measuring method would not leave much extra tire clearance. You could build a front 650b wheel to go moto style at first and drop it in to the rear end and see if it would fit for sure before getting a rear wheel too. Going moto style you’d need to move your seat forward about ˝ inch and up a little to keep the same leg reach and balance over the cranks as before, and a slightly longer and lower stem to keep the about the same overall fit and handling balance as before.

nothing relevant to say
    I don't know either. I stopped into a local Kona dealer, but NO Cowan DS or the Bass frames. The B'r DID fit into the Coiler series, and the Blast frames(Cinder Cone, Caldera, and Blast share frames), but not a whole lotta clearance.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Are you looking to make a 650 DJ bike? I doubt that would be a good XC frame.

rmb
    mtbr member
    Very high bottom bracket already and slack head angle.

pvd
    mtbr member
    Yay!!!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    I don't know either. I stopped into a local Kona dealer, but NO Cowan DS or the Bass frames. The B'r DID fit into the Coiler series, and the Blast frames(Cinder Cone, Caldera, and Blast share frames), but not a whole lotta clearance.
    They do not fit at all in my '05 Coiler. Barely enough room at the top for a 26x2.5.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was just thinking of building a FS B'r. The Cowan showed promise since it has the sliding dropouts. I didn't think about the all the DS geometries shtuff. Probably not a good candidate unless I can find an older Kona "A" frame. That's there old single speed FS frame that was normal geometries. Any other ideas on an FS B'r frame. Is there a list of frames anywhere that have been proven to fit the B'rs?

nothing relevant to say
    Quote Originally Posted by palmermtb
    I was just thinking of building a FS B'r. The Cowan showed promise since it has the sliding dropouts. I didn't think about the all the DS geometries shtuff. Probably not a good candidate unless I can find an older Kona "A" frame. That's there old single speed FS frame that was normal geometries. Any other ideas on an FS B'r frame. Is there a list of frames anywhere that have been proven to fit the B'rs?
    Cannondale Prophet, Gary Fisher Fat Possum, Haro Sonix LT, Haro Xeon, Scott Spark 30, Marin Rift Zone... Theres more, check my blog's archive.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Looking for a 2008 Cowan D/S frame or bike

Does anyone know if the Cowan DS frame will accept a 650B. It's got the sliding dropouts. This would make a nice FS 650.
    I currently have a Kona "A" F/S SS bike and am looking to buy a 08 Cowan DS frame or complete bike,,,,,,,,,,,,,,looking to add another full suspension SS to the quiver.New or gently used, photos if possible with details. thanks in advance

mtbr member
    May 2007

650b on the Kona A

Realize this is an old thread but just saw it,,,I have run a 650b on the front end of my A frame for the last 18 months and love the performance.Also tried a 650b on the rear for a dozen or so rides but went back to a 26'er for the quicker acceleration and lighter weight The 650b fit easily out back on my A frame,maybe the Cowan has shorter CS?My rear wheel was a Blunt with a Paul hub and tires were Neo's and a Quasi.Blunt on the front,currently with a Wolverine that rocks,Fox F100 fork.2 wheels good

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66
    I currently have a Kona "A" F/S SS bike and am looking to buy a 08 Cowan DS frame or complete bike,,,,,,,,,,,,,,looking to add another full suspension SS to the quiver.New or gently used, photos if possible with details. thanks in advance
    Bump
    Anyone?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Palmer, did you find a Cowan frame? I have an A bike built up and am searching for a Cowan F/S frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No, I never found one and just gave up on the project. I'm looking to build a DJ bike now.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Still looking for a Cowan.............

Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66