mtbr member

Kona Cinder Cone 650b

I'm thinking of putting some 650b wheels on my Cinder Cone, steel frame with Kona Project 2 rigid fork. I know the front wheel has clearence and the last I checked a Neo Moto would not fit the back. Can some post the dim for the Quasi-moto?

I'm looking for a good project this winter and want to do something fun with the Kona. I want to use it for dirt road rides and some smooth(er) single track. I was thinking maybe going to a single speed. Thoughts?

Also, what adjustments do I need to make with the rim brakes? What are good options for 650b rims for canti brakes?

mtbr member
    Velocity Synergy rims would probably be one of the only canti/v-brake rims that will be readily available to find. YOu may be able to find some Sun CR18s but they are hard to find.

I too would like to know if a 650b with Quasi moto would fit in side a steel Kona frame - namely a 1995 Fire Mountain.

Cheers,

Mark

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    FMF brakes are inexpensive on ebay and will provide more than enough adjustment to run 650b on a 26" frame. The Quasi will fit in frames where the Neo doesn't but it's hard to go by measurements alone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    x2 for the FMF brakes. I've been using them for a couple of months now and they work great.
    The Sun CR 18 rims are a good choice, and any bike shop that deals with J&B can get them. They're a little bit cheaper than the Synergy rims. Be aware that the tires will fit super tight on the CR 18's, a good choice if you're going tubeless. The thought of having to change a tube on the trail sent me to the tubeless route.
    Post some pics when you get it built up.

Paul