mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here. KONA 650b: anyone tried a unit of a humu humu?

Hi all has anyone tried to fit a neo moto into the back of a kona unit?

I was thinking with the moving dropouts, a new one could be designed/machined to maintain the BB height and fit in the wheel

What does everone think?
    29er you just know when ur ready!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here. anyone? anyone?

pls help info needed

mtbr member
    I've seen them done with 29ers front and back, so I'd say you'd be good to go with 650bs. However does it have disc tabs? If not, you might have to get a little creative with front and rear brakes.

I bought a pretty much New Old Stock 1995 Kona Fire Mountain last night for a great price. It has a Kona Project 2 fork up front and it runs cantilever breaks. I dfeintely have enough room in front to put a650b front wheel on the bike, but I'm wondering how I can do it brake-wise.

Any thoughts?

Mark

nothing relevant to say
    Mark, if you want me to add or move brake post, I can. PM me.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    I've seen them done with 29ers front and back, so I'd say you'd be good to go with 650bs. However does it have disc tabs? If not, you might have to get a little creative with front and rear brakes.

I bought a pretty much New Old Stock 1995 Kona Fire Mountain last night for a great price. It has a Kona Project 2 fork up front and it runs cantilever breaks. I dfeintely have enough room in front to put a650b front wheel on the bike, but I'm wondering how I can do it brake-wise.

Any thoughts?

Mark
    I think Paul's Components makes some canti brakes that give extra reach adjustment.

However, you might be better off having a builder simply add disk tabs front and rear.

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    I think Paul's Components makes some canti brakes that give extra reach adjustment.

However, you might be better off having a builder simply add disk tabs front and rear.

Cheers,

KP

This bike is essential New Old Stock, complete with a sticker from one of the first real shops in the area to sell quality mountain bikes........so perhaps I shouldn't mess with it at all and just leave it in original condition. But you know me!

Her's she is as I picked her up last night:

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    This bike is essential New Old Stock, complete with a sticker from one of the first real shops in the area to sell quality mountain bikes........so perhaps I shouldn't mess with it at all and just leave it in original condition. But you know me!

Her's she is as I picked her up last night:

Mark,

I may be going out on a limb here, but I would be willing to venture this bike will never reach "vintage" or "collector" status. You may have gotten a great deal on it, but you'd probably fetch less if you were to try to resell it today...

I say break out the welding torch and metal working tools and go for it. I built my fist single speed MTB in 1991 by cutting out the drop outs and extra cable stops from my brand new Diamond Back Axis Team (the green one) frame and putting back together with BMX drop outs. My friends thought I was nuts...

Cheers,

KP
    Last edited by Kirk Pacenti; 10-04-2008 at 06:26 AM.
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    Mark,

I may be going out on a limb here, but I would be willing to venture this bike will never reach "vintage" or "collector" status. You may have gotten a great deal on it, but you'd probably fetch less if you were to try to resell it today...

I say break out the welding torch and metal working tools and go for it. I built my fist single speed MTB in 1991 one by cutting out the drop outs and extra cable stops from my brand new Diamond Back Axis Team (the green one) frame and putting back together with BMX drop outs. My friends thought I was nuts...

Cheers,

KP
    Oh I know it wont too.......but the price was right. If she were more beatu up I wouldn't mind messing around with her. But she's pristine (collector status or not) and she came form what was one of the two early mtb shops in the region so that hs some cool history in and ofitself so we'll see.

With that said, I've already launched an ebay search for an 80mm Fox Float for the front!

Cheers,

Mark

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

unit w/ sliding dropouts

The picture shows the velocity blunts & neo moto (about 5mm clearance @ chainstays). (date is wrong). Now I have the stans w/ quasi moto on the rear. (little more clearance)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Welding alternative

My Spot has canti brakes in the rear. I found, in addition to the Paul's brakes, FMF "V" cantis. They're much cheaper than the Paul's and have worked fine for me. Just ditch the pads they come with. I kind of like the simplicity of having the V's in the back.

Paul

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Thanks all the info much appreciated

Cool thatnk everybody (& no I'm not Dr Nick)