Thread: Klein Palomino

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Klein Palomino

Came across a nice 2005 Klein Palomino and considering a 650 conversion. I checked the frame thread and did not see any info on this frame, although I could have missed it. Anyone have any experience/info/thoughts on such a project? Thanks for any assistance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Let me save you the trouble. I have an '03 Palomino. I never considered this swap as I am currently shopping for an AM bike to replace it. I just looked and there is only about a 1/2 inch clearance between the 26 tire and the mono-link shock. The seat stays would have clearance otherwise, but there is no way it would work with the shock. The other problem is the recent demise of Maverick and previous demise of Klein. I could not find a source for the delrin bushings in the upper shock mount and had to have them custom made at a machine shop. It was $60 for four little plastic bushings and most shops would not even touch a job that small. A year or two ago, I upgraded to an expensive Maverick Mono-link with sealed bearings to replace the similarly hard to get stock brass bushings. I love the bike and it rides great even compared to a bunch of high end 2012 models I test rode, but it is becoming difficult to maintain. And I don't even ride much. It's a USA made collector item with a really cool paint job.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks sammon, thats great info, I also feel the Palomino was a great bike in so many ways. Also good to know the bushing issue. I just completely restored my 05 Lenz Leviathan, but would have never touched the project without checking on the availiability of suspension bushings. Devin sent me an entire set at no cost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

palomino

hi there! I ride 04 palomino - just love the back but needed something different up front - so I ugraded the fork to a 29 reba and put 650b on it - I started with 80mm travel just to make sure, but I would not hesitate to try 100mm travel in a few weeks. the bike can handle this without any wheel flop and it is a dream to ride ( still fine tuning the reba as the whole negative chamber concept is new to me) - I know guys ride 29 up front but i'm sticking with 650 and my 656 conversion - as I call it - I'll send you some pics if needed. good luck I am 5 11 at 160 lb

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Where to get bushings for my Palomino? (In case I can't come up with the rumored monolink/bearing upgrade from Maverick)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidHolcomb View Post
    Where to get bushings for my Palomino? (In case I can't come up with the rumored monolink/bearing upgrade from Maverick)
    New old stock from a bike shop was the only suggestions I found when looking awhile ago. Even the expensive monolink became impossible to find when I was looking in May 2012. I managed to strip the bottom bracket cup threads out of the magnesium monolink. The Palomino was retired and I built a Ventana to replace it. Before the BB shell stripped, I had upper shock link bushings milled out of Delrin by a local machine shop. You could definitely get the other bushings machined from oil impregnated bronze, but it will cost a few bucks.