WWYD?

KHS Solo-One '69er softail experiment

This my experiment into the varied-wheel ride. And my first in this group, so 'hey. I'm getting up to speed on the threads here.

I wanted another singlespeed, I've been riding a SS 29er Monocog and a '29er Flight 1X9 for about three years and love the big wheel ride. Then I saw the KHS '05 (?) softail '26er single speed frame, fork, headset and seatpost collar for $168 as a closeout for cheap. Bought it! I am totally impressed with the ride. Has a 20mm travel in the back and great paint!

Not caring so much about the cost, the ride feels close to perfect; The bit of rear travel helps keep the wheel on the trail and dampens the bouncing around. The front is running about 26 psi. The slacker head-hangle is about 68 degrees and the seat tube is 70. The difference from a 29er ride is that the slacker angle lets the front wheel lift really easy. Works great for the downhill but some flat to uphill stuff steers really fast so you have to stay on your toes, literally.

The '69er idea is interesting, what I notice is the rear wheel spinning faster than the front. It shows up on a fast turn. If you touch the rear brakes you end up skidding and countersteering, if you can hang on I think you're going around a corner faster.

Gearing is a 32X18, I do about 50% climbing on my rides.

This bike is definitely a keeper. Hope the welds hold. I had Gravy (Steve Gravenites) and his bike mechs point out the thin dropouts. Been riding it steady now for three weeks and it just works. I think they're sold out now on the frame, but it was the easiest mod I've ever done to a bike!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I love those old KHS frames! I wish they still made soft tail frames!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I saw one on the trails today.

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    I saw one on the trails today.
    If it wuz Tamarancho, it wuz me!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb
    If it wuz Tamarancho, it wuz me!
    Well then Hey jonnyb! Too bad you got that pinch flat and let me catch you. I was on the SS behind you at the time. But you probably were pushing a harder gear. What do you run?

BEAUTIFUL day for sure huh?

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Well then Hey jonnyb! Too bad you got that pinch flat and let me catch you. I was on the SS behind you at the time. But you probably were pushing a harder gear. What do you run?

BEAUTIFUL day for sure huh?
    Ha! You were with that big group behind me? I was just trying not to get run over. That one section of Broken Dam let's you really fly and when you have too much fun...

I've got a 32-18 setup, since the rear wheel is 26. Lots of SS and 29ers on Saturday, not a fad anymore!

The KHS is a great bike, I'm liking it over my 29ers. Funny, seems like I said that about 26ers and full suspension just a few years ago.

Give a shout out next time, WIWR!

www.derbyrims.com
    Great photo johnnyb! Your new bike is looking good. I didn't see this when first posted... I need to get some pics of my bike in that location too

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Great photo johnnyb! Your new bike is looking good. I didn't see this when first posted... I need to get some pics of my bike in that location too

Ray! Mr. 650B! Did you see they closed the little bit of singletrack behind White's Hill School to bikes? Open Space sucks. But the spot has some good artists there. Check this one by Zoltron.

This bike is just sick.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I bet 32x18 would be pretty tough for me. I'm running 36x22 on my bike. Did you have or are you still using the 29er wheel on the front of your KHS?

I doubt we could have run you over, you were going just fine. We did get caught by a few a - holes that complained about some of our paces. Oh well.

That was only my second time there at Tamarancho. did 2 loops both times. 17 miles of complete fun.

Ha! You were with that big group behind me? I was just trying not to get run over. That one section of Broken Dam let's you really fly and when you have too much fun...

I've got a 32-18 setup, since the rear wheel is 26. Lots of SS and 29ers on Saturday, not a fad anymore!

The KHS is a great bike, I'm liking it over my 29ers. Funny, seems like I said that about 26ers and full suspension just a few years ago.

Give a shout out next time, WIWR!

www.derbyrims.com
    This bike is just sick.
    I like the cornering traction balance better when using a larger front wheel. I'd go back to 26" rear if I didn't like the better rolling larger rear wheel more. Someday I want a 29/650b set up.

Here's a picture I used for my avatar. It's a picture from the patent filed in 1866 for the invention of the pedal bike, subsequently awarded to Pierre Lallement a recent immigrant who lived in Derby, Connecticut.

Note the invention of the bicycle used a larger front wheel too.

And looking closely at the frame it appears it has some designed frame flex to give a small amount of rear wheel suspension action beyond the suspended seat similar to your bike's rear-only short travel suspension. And it's single-speed like yours too.

Being front wheel drive I doubt it would climb anything steep. Back then there weren't any paved roads, so this would be the first trail bike design too.

Here's a link here to more history on the first pedal bike. http://electronicvalley.org/derby/qu.../Lallement.htm

WWYD?
    I like the cornering traction balance better when using a larger front wheel. I'd go back to 26" rear if I didn't like the better rolling larger rear wheel more. Someday I want a 29/650b set up.

Here's a picture I used for my avatar. It's a picture from the patent filed in 1866 for the invention of the pedal bike, subsequently awarded to Pierre Lallement a recent immigrant who lived in Derby, Connecticut.

Note the invention of the bicycle used a larger front wheel too.

And looking closely at the frame it appears it has some designed frame flex to give a small amount of rear wheel suspension action beyond the suspended seat similar to your bike's rear-only short travel suspension. And it's single-speed like yours too.

Being front wheel drive I doubt it would climb anything steep. Back then there weren't any paved roads, so this would be the first trail bike design too.

Here's a link here to more history on the first pedal bike. http://electronicvalley.org/derby/qu.../Lallement.htm
    Ray,

Any other connections to your avatar name ;^) ? I always thought of soapbox derby.

Fine article. Mr. Lallement is one of our founding fathers, for sure.

This following comment about the "Hobbyhorse" somewhat mislabels the "horse" title of Mr. Lallement's invention, but takes the duo-wheel size bike to the extreme with the Penny Farthing:

"Penny Farthing
    The Penny Farthing is also referred to as the 'High' or 'Ordinary' bicycle, and the first one was invented in 1871 by British engineer, James Starley. The Penny Farthing came after the development of the 'Hobbyhorse', and the French 'Velocipede' or 'Boneshaker', all versions of early bikes. However, the Penny Farthing was the first really efficient bicycle, consisting of a small rear wheel and large front wheel pivoting on a simple tubular frame with tires of rubber." --http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blbicycle.htm

And of course it sounds like someone else invented it instead of Lallement. There is always an argument around bikes it seems.

I always wondered about your bike avatar. What I like is the suspended seat design instead of a post. You could dial in a few inches of travel with some mods.

Interesting to look at and I can imagine a major frame failure at the headtube junction!

www.derbyrims.com
    The unique invention of Lallement's patent was the pedal drive. It's the first record of a pedal bike (maybe I should have underlined "pedal" in my prior post).

Coaster type walking/running bikes preceded pedal bikes by decades. The "Dandy_horse" pictured below was recorded by a German patent in 1818. Here's a link to Wikapedia about it that was linked from the article noted above on Lallement's patent
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandy_horse

Regarding my MTBR handle "derby", it's inspired by bicycle derby. A usually spontaneous and humorous sport of two or more riders biking around in a tight pack trying to block, bump, or otherwise interrupt another rider's progress so the rider has to dab a foot down for balance or crash. There is no scoring or any rules of bicycle derby. It's great for slow speed balance training. Bicycle derby was first practiced by bicycle polo players in San Francisco's polo grounds in Golden Gate Park in the early or mid 1970's while warming up for weekend organized bicycle polo team matches. I think bicycle polo died out in the mid '80's, but bicycle derby lives on.

When I got into trail riding in 1982, pretty much every trail rider still knew all the other trail riders in Marin, there still weren't more than about 25 to 30 trail riders in Marin then, but it soon grew rapidly in popularity after Mike Sinyard produced the Stumpjumper. Every full moon, weather permitting, many riders would gather on Mt. Tam on Blithedale Ridge at a wide fire road intersection coined the "Derby Bowl" and party and derby and later ride further around the mountain, sometimes all night. All trails were still legal riding then. There were other annual daytime derby events, the Saturday closest to April Fool's Day at Angle Island's Hospital Cove (still active), 4th of July after the Larkspur Parade in Dark Park at the bottom of Madrone Canyon, and New Year's Day at the radar station at the top of the Headlands (also still active).

I found the article and picture for my avatar while googling "derby" not long ago.

Here's the first coaster bicycle that was apparently invented in Germany and patented in 1818, but the pedal bike didn't come until Lallement's patented in 1865.

WWYD?
    in Marin, there still weren't more than about 25 to 30 trail riders in Marin then, but it soon grew rapidly in popularity after Mike Sinyard produced the Stumpjumper. Every full moon, weather permitting, many riders would gather on Mt. Tam on Blithedale Ridge at a wide fire road intersection coined the "Derby Bowl" and party and derby and later ride further around the mountain, sometimes all night. All trails were still legal riding then. There were other annual daytime derby events, the Saturday closest to April Fool's Day at Angle Island's Hospital Cove (still active), 4th of July after the Larkspur Parade in Dark Park at the bottom of Madrone Canyon, and New Year's Day at the radar station at the top of the Headlands (also still active).

Here's the first coaster bicycle that was apparently invented in Germany and patented in 1818, but the pedal bike didn't come until Lallement's patented in 1865.
    Ack, that bike is endo prone! Probably the smaller front wheel was to make it easier to Fred Flintstone it down the path. I bet you steered with your feet as much as anything.

I hear you about Specialized, my first real mountain bike was a Rockhopper in '87. Great bike for the money. Actually rode a Nishiki 10-speed with knobbies around Phoenix lake and stuff at first. Broke the Rockhopper frame by crashing downhill on Fish Gulch. At least I could walk out back into town easy. The Headlands had just closed up completely when I started riding, but there were few people riding past the lakes back then too.

My riding buddy that showed me all the trails lived up on King Mountain in Larkspur at the time, behind the Blue Rock Inn. Somehow it was easier to climb those ridges all day and then do a night ride after dinner. Never saw a derby though back in '87.

www.derbyrims.com
    Never saw a derby though back in '87.
    The Mt. Tam summer month's full moon derbys died out in '85 after becoming overly aggressive and vindictive by a few regulars, ruining the fun vibe.