Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sweet looking bike!

My large Hong-Fu 650b weighs in at 17.7lbs, also a 1x, but I did opt for some cushion in my saddle.

I also went rigid, but really only because there isn't yet a low weight short travel 650b fork. I'm waiting for the SID World Cup. In the meantime I built a 29" front wheel mounted to a 465mm rigid fork. I have to admit, the rollover of the 29" paired with the 650b rear is pretty sweet. Still a bit bouncy over big hits, though, so I'm not sure yet on the rigid thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm a So Cal local, I live in Big Bear and do most of my riding up there. I occassinally ride down in Marshall Canyon, Chino Hills, GMR, etc.
    I know tons of riders in your area, used to live in La Verne.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michael9218 View Post
    Sweet looking bike!

My large Hong-Fu 650b weighs in at 17.7lbs, also a 1x, but I did opt for some cushion in my saddle.

I also went rigid, but really only because there isn't yet a low weight short travel 650b fork. I'm waiting for the SID World Cup. In the meantime I built a 29" front wheel mounted to a 465mm rigid fork. I have to admit, the rollover of the 29" paired with the 650b rear is pretty sweet. Still a bit bouncy over big hits, though, so I'm not sure yet on the rigid thing.
    Thank you My last bike I built a 650B front wheel on a Ritchey carbon fork, loved that ride for 3 yrs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    I'm a So Cal local, I live in Big Bear and do most of my riding up there. I occassinally ride down in Marshall Canyon, Chino Hills, GMR, etc.
    I know tons of riders in your area, used to live in La Verne.
    5-7 yrs ago I used to race the Rim Nordic series, I would drive up on Tuesdays and ride the track That was great , Now I ride Caron Canyon, Fullerton Loop, Whiting Ranch,etc.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Kinda fitting that this thread is being spammed by sex toys peddlers.

mtbr member

Good job!

1ST ride on KHS Sixfifty Team SRAM XX1 , Great ride , love the bike :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Your bike looks great. A look at the KHS site shows a ridiculously curved top tube though. I'm guessing that the larger sizes have this? I'll fire off an email to KHS to see what's going on with that.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Your bike looks great. A look at the KHS site shows a ridiculously curved top tube though. I'm guessing that the larger sizes have this? I'll fire off an email to KHS to see what's going on with that.
    Thank you If the small had a curved top tube it would have ruined the stand over for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The sizes medium and large do infact have an upward curving toptube.

mtbr member
    The sizes medium and large do infact have an upward curving toptube.
    I am glad I'm a small

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ha! I hear ya. I'm not sure why they did that curve, in my humble opinion. Bit of a bummer. I'm looking for a XC type 650 hardtail frame to build up and would have strongly considered this one, if not for that.

mtbr member
    Motomatt, can we get more photos of the top and downtube? Print ads don't really show scale, size or shap of these. Thanks!

mtbr member

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post
    Motomatt, can we get more photos of the top and downtube? Print ads don't really show scale, size or shap of these. Thanks!
    Do you want a close up of the top and downtube?

mtbr member
    Yes. I want to be able to distinquish the shapes. Also, if you can put a scale in place to reference the sizes of the tubes, that would be great. When I go 27.5, I want this bike!!!

NedwannaB
    Ha! I hear ya. I'm not sure why they did that curve, in my humble opinion. Bit of a bummer. I'm looking for a XC type 650 hardtail frame to build up and would have strongly considered this one, if not for that.
    No doubt for structural integrity due to tt length.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    No doubt for structural integrity due to tt length.
    Please elaborate on your thinking behind this.

NedwannaB
    Please elaborate on your thinking behind this.
    Sure as long as there's a disclaimer that I don't have any engineering behind it. Coming from a construction way of thinking of it as a truss/beam, longer the member/span, more need for camber/arch, or bracing of some kind.

Pretty much the same in most of the bike lines.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sure as long as there's a disclaimer that I don't have any engineering behind it. Coming from a construction way of thinking of it as a truss/beam, longer the member/span, more need for camber/arch, or bracing of some kind.

Pretty much the same in most of the bike lines.
    I get what you're saying, but if that were the case, I would think that every top tube on just about every bike out would be arched up like that. Those top tubes aren't any great deal longer than anything else out right now. I tend to think these look way different than most bike lines right now, thankfully.

I don't mean to knock it, or your possible reasoning behind it, just ain't my thing.

NedwannaB
    I get what you're saying, but if that were the case, I would think that every top tube on just about every bike out would be arched up like that. Those top tubes aren't any great deal longer than anything else out right now. I tend to think these look way different than most bike lines right now, thankfully.

I don't mean to knock it, or your possible reasoning behind it, just ain't my thing.
    Take a look at the carbon bikes that are out, ht or fs, most have some type of curve, exagerated or not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Take a look at the carbon bikes that are out, ht or fs, most have some type of curve, exagerated or not.
    Yes Jmac47, there is some sort of shaping, carbon or aluminum (hydroforming), generally up toward the headtube area. Makes sense and always has, as this acts as a gusset of sorts for the headtube. I am aware of this. My Stumpjumper HT has it a touch. I get the point you are trying to relay.

I think the point to make here can be made more clear using the term you used..."exaggerated". I haven't taken note of any that are so "exaggerated" with not a hint of any straight section, anywhere over the length of the top tube, such as the medium and large size offerings of this frame. And honestly, I can't see it really providing any huge structural necessity. I can't see that evenly radiused, arching top tube doing anything for strength in terms of where it would count, and that would be in helping to stabilize the headtube I surmise. I could be wrong, as I don't fully know the engineering of bike frames, but it would be my strong guess that they only thing that top tube would help with is when you are sitting on it, and placing downward force on it.

I come from a construction background myself, and rafters and joists are place crown 'up', so they resist sagging in the other direction, because loads are being placed on them in that direction, not from one end or the other. Same goes for trusses and arches.

Anyway, I don't really care about this that much, and we are detracting from the OP's thread, who has a really awesome bike.

mtbr member
    Yes. I want to be able to distinquish the shapes. Also, if you can put a scale in place to reference the sizes of the tubes, that would be great. When I go 27.5, I want this bike!!!
    KHS Sixfifty Team 650B Carbon Frame-35.jpg
    KHS Sixfifty Team 650B Carbon Frame-40.jpg
    KHS Sixfifty Team 650B Carbon Frame-401.jpg
    KHS Sixfifty Team 650B Carbon Frame-37.jpg

mtbr member
    Motomatt, incredible photos! So the top tube is almost flat? When you ride, does this frame seem incredibly stiff? Do you feel any absorption in rear stays? The more of this bike I see, the more I want one. Thanks again!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That thing is really sharp Matt.

NedwannaB

All said and done.

Probably just some new marketing design strategy....
    Last edited by JMac47; 02-14-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Motomatt, incredible photos! So the top tube is almost flat? When you ride, does this frame seem incredibly stiff? Do you feel any absorption in rear stays? The more of this bike I see, the more I want one. Thanks again!!!
    Thank you Yes top tube is almost flat, I am loving the ride of this bike, Very stable,confidence inspiring ride. I notice quite a bit more absorption compared to my Azonic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast