I Ride for Donuts

KHS Sixfifty 6500?

So I've been on 29ers for the past 4 or 5 years.... I went to a hardtail 29er from a FS 26", and I'm getting that "time for a change" feeling... based on my experience on both extremes, and riding style, I'm really leaning towards a full suspension 650 for my next bike.

I was reading what I could find and looking for a "general purpose" full suspension 650 trail bike... not too "all mountain", not too "gravity", not too "race"... the KHS came on the radar, but then I read the review in the newest Mountain Bike magazine, and now I'm all like "shut up and take my money."

Can anyone confirm or deny this bike as a good choice? Anything else similar in the same price range (2500-3000) that I should be considering?

Also a KHS Sizing question... the "XL" sixfifty has an ETT that is just a bit longer than my Surly Ogre (which fits me really good), and the "L" sixfifty has an ETT that is just a bit shorter... I'm really right in the middle here... does this bike benefit from the "go small and get more flickability" line of thinking, or the "go big and be comfortable" line of thinking?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

NedwannaB
    I like that bike too (converted a 26" XCT 555 to 650 a couple years ago) and probably would have got one if not for building up a Ventana El Bastardo last year. I don't know what the Ogre is, but typically size down (abit) for trailbike use/riding. Granted same can be done to tad larger frame with shorter stem/riser bars. Depends on your "rip it or rail it" riding style.....

The new Jamis looks good too:

2013 Jamis? - Page 2

YOMV
    Last edited by JMac47; 05-07-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: tyo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member

Kan Has Sixfiddy

I was reading what I could find and looking for a "general purpose" full suspension 650 trail bike... not too "all mountain", not too "gravity", not too "race"... the KHS came on the radar, but then I read the review in the newest Mountain Bike magazine, and now I'm all like "shut up and take my money."

Can anyone confirm or deny this bike as a good choice?

Also a KHS Sizing question...
    I demo'd a KHS 2500 a few weeks back. It's a great entry level fs option with geo that matches your goals, I'd say. The 6500 squares the suspension misgivings.
    KHS Sixfifty 6500?-wp_000350.jpg
    I'm 6' with a long torso and arms, and I thought the large was perfect, if that helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Good feedback. The Giant shorter travel 27.5 version could be another option when it comes out. My concern with the KHS 2500, 3500, 5500 and 6500 are that with the 2.1 rear 650B tire that it comes with, there doesn't seem to be much room. It looks as though 2.25 and larger 650B tires would be real tight or at the very least not allow for much if any mud/dirt clearance. If I get a 650B bike I will chose between the KHS 3500 and the shorter travel Giant 27.5.
    Last edited by morkys; 08-19-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: correct typo and clarify

I Ride for Donuts
    Thanks for the sizing info... I'm 6'2"+, fairly long torso/arms. Should have mentioned that. JMac47, The Surly Ogre shares the same geometry as the Karate Monkey... hardtail 29er bliss. I'm on the Surly's version of "XL", which appears to have just a bit shorter ETT than the XL KHS ETT.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)