Baby Bear is in the house

KHS Alite 2000 650B-able?

I realize KHS is one of the few who offer 650B bikes, but 650B is almost non-existent here in the Philippines.
    I converted a Schwinn Moab in 2009 and haven't looked back (probably the first 650B conversion in my country). I'm looking to retiring that frame and getting the Alite 2000 frame to replace it.
    Does anyone know if the 2012 Alite 2000 can fit 650B in the back? Does anyone have this frame/bike, and if so, would you mind posting a photo of the tire clearance at the chain- and seat-stays?
    TIA
    Last edited by r1Gel; 07-19-2012 at 11:28 PM.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hi, I'm from Cebu and very new to biking. I recently bought a KHS six fifty 606 (2010) model because it was on sale (almost 50% off) at a local bike store not knowing that it had a different tire size. Absolutely no regrets!

Quote Originally Posted by kvcmd View Post
    Hi, I'm from Cebu and very new to biking. I recently bought a KHS six fifty 606 (2010) model because it was on sale (almost 50% off) at a local bike store not knowing that it had a different tire size. Absolutely no regrets!
    Good on ya
    That's the red one right? Did you get it direct from YKKTrading? How's the Velvet performing?
    I've seen that at All Terra here in Manila, but I don't think it was on discount.
    I already spent a fortune on my wheelset, so I only need a frame. The good thing about 26er KHS hardtails is their low BB, which makes them good 650B conversions, assuming the wheel would fit
    Last edited by r1Gel; 08-28-2012 at 06:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    wow... in the process of building my 650 B bike. will be using my current 2011 XTC FR... just waiting for the rims and tires to be shipped. I'm from La Union. Got a alex xd lite and kenda nevegal,,, my next challenge is finding the correct spoke length... any ideas if how long? XT hubs by the way... wiill be using a fox Terralogic 100 mm up front, can't wait to have this project done...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    @r1Gel - yes, the red one which I bought from YKK. So totally new at this sort of thing I didn't even realize MTBs had different wheel sizes. I had only been up to cranks, shifters, derailleurs, bike brands with my reading and I thought that this one was a good buy albeit it was a relatively old model. After realizing that this was a relatively new 'standard' I've been trying to see if this would pick up, that's why I responded to your post when you mentioned that 650b was relatively non-existent here in the Phil. I passed by the Scott distributor here in Cebu and inquired about the Genius 10 model (?). They said that they had it but it was already sold and would I want to order one...for > P200K, no way! I do hope you'll be able to successfully create your custom bike. As for the Velvet fork...what would I know my experience is next to nada that I wouldn't know whether good is good or bad is bad...

Quote Originally Posted by saddle pimp View Post
    wow... in the process of building my 650 B bike. will be using my current 2011 XTC FR... just waiting for the rims and tires to be shipped. I'm from La Union. Got a alex xd lite and kenda nevegal,,, my next challenge is finding the correct spoke length... any ideas if how long? XT hubs by the way... wiill be using a fox Terralogic 100 mm up front, can't wait to have this project done...
    So you're saying 650B will fit in the 2011 XTC? I suppose you've done your homework and measured everything up before ordering?

When I did mine 3 years ago I obsessed over it. I didn't want to throw a ton of money (mail ordered as well) without confirming it would fit my frame (Schwinn Moab). I even got a caliper to make sure I got my measurements spot on.
    I've no regrets though. I built my wheel from scratch. Mail ordered the Velocity Blunts (in white ) and Sapim Race spokes from the US, and just built them around locally-bought Vision hubs (white too of course )

I used several spoke calculators. Try these for starters:
    Spocalc, by Damon Rinard. A free Excel spoke length calculator.
    Edd, an easy to use spoke length calculator
    Spoke length calculator for calculating spokelengths

I also used the one by DT Swiss, but I can't find the link anymore. Maybe you can ask around in the wheels & tires forum.

Let us know how your project goes and be sure to post pics when it's done

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by kvcmd View Post
    @r1Gel - yes, the red one which I bought from YKK. So totally new at this sort of thing I didn't even realize MTBs had different wheel sizes. I had only been up to cranks, shifters, derailleurs, bike brands with my reading and I thought that this one was a good buy albeit it was a relatively old model. After realizing that this was a relatively new 'standard' I've been trying to see if this would pick up, that's why I responded to your post when you mentioned that 650b was relatively non-existent here in the Phil. I passed by the Scott distributor here in Cebu and inquired about the Genius 10 model (?). They said that they had it but it was already sold and would I want to order one...for > P200K, no way! I do hope you'll be able to successfully create your custom bike. As for the Velvet fork...what would I know my experience is next to nada that I wouldn't know whether good is good or bad is bad...
    Awesome. It's great that you've got into biking, and starting out with 650B at that! IMO this wheel size will eventually take over 26ers (but still good to have all 3 as options).
    These forums are a wealth of info with some great people offering tons of help. Do make the most of it.
    BTW, just to let you know, in case you get a flat and need to change your inner tube, regular 26-inch inner tubes will work (and even 29er tubes, but the former is better).
    Let me know if you have any other questions, and I'd be glad to help out as much as I can.
    Ride safely!

A couple more from the Wheels & Tires forum, with links to other sources

Spoke Length Calc ?

Wheelbuilding resources

cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    thanks... a Pinoy friend based in California have confirmed that the Giant XTC FR is 650B compatible... planning to make it into a 1x10 xc bike... just awaiting mu sis in law to include the rim and tires in the balikbayan box, got it delivered there... don't want to go full 29'er medyo nalalakihan ako. I'm just 5'5... excited na din =)

thanks... a Pinoy friend based in California have confirmed that the Giant XTC FR is 650B compatible... planning to make it into a 1x10 xc bike... just awaiting mu sis in law to include the rim and tires in the balikbayan box, got it delivered there... don't want to go full 29'er medyo nalalakihan ako. I'm just 5'5... excited na din =)
    Nice
    Clearance must be pretty good considering the Nev is one of the wider 650B tires around.
    Any idea what BB height you'll end up at? What was the BB height with the 26" wheels? For some strange reason Giant is averse to listing BB heights or drops on their website.